Angelino

You mean like Angelino and Denayer, both treated like pieces of meat, now departed and with bad feelings, we can get away with that a few times but there will come a time when it will come back to us.
Hardly, although Denayer got less opportunities.

The thing with Angelino is that he impressed in Holland, he impressed in Germany but he didn’t when he was with us. The main reason imo is that he’s a wingback and we don’t play that system. We ask a huge amount of a left back, a totally unique role that he wasn’t suited to but that someone like Zin is.

Our young players get schooled and work in an incredible facility, whilst being paid very well.

Us virtually giving away Tosin, Angelino, potentially Harrison etc shows we don’t stand in the way of young players not quite at our level. We are a brilliantly run club that any young player would like to get the chance to make it.

It has ,Jadon Malik Sancho.

Absolute nonsense but Sancho's case has been covered so many times that I couldn't be arsed explaining why you're talking bollocks.

I love Pep but this one's on him. I dunno what history he had with Angeliño but he should have been one to keep. If he can let Mendy play a few, he can afford to play Angeliño.
Except he did play Angelino.

4 full CL games (last 16 to Semi final at that), 6 PL games (4 starters and 2 subs), 2 FA cup games and 3 EFL cup games.

Mendy has NEVER played as bad for us as Angelino did.

For our club to send him out on loan in January, midway through a season, only 6 months into a long term contract, having signed no other left backs that summer, can only mean that;
a) pep didn't want him here, or
b)he didn't want to be here.

Most likely both, heavier on the b.

Does anything else really matter?

Better players than him have taken longer than 6 months to settle into pep's style and teams, bernardo, cancello, sane, mahrez, zinchenko, none were gone within 6 months, they found ways to work their ways into the side. Others like Hart were, with no sentiment there.

Clearly the kid wanted to be a regular starter. Nothing wrong with that, but more established players settle for rotation and taking their chances in this team. If he decided within 6 months he wanted more, and pep had no issue or intention of keeping him for the long term, then the club could only do right to facilitate a move, even taking less money to get the player who was a youth product and eager to rejoin the move he wanted. We absolutely could have probably got more money for him, but probably at the risk of frustrating 'mistreating' him even more

It is evident our club wont prioritise money to stand in the way of players they value, getting the moves they want, be it youngsters like tosin angelino etc, or seniors like hart, edin, sane etc.

I think he wasn’t as bad as people made him out to be. Angelino was playing next to Garcia, Otamendi and a DM at CB in a team that was devoid of confidence. The defence was very poor, except Walker. Rodri took some time to adapt as well, the defence was truly a mess for a good couple months. He also played about once every 3-4 weeks, and for some reason started against our 2 most difficult attacking opponents which didn’t suit his abilities at all. He could be brilliant in a Cancelo type of role, but I think he was here at the wrong time and never really got a good run of games. He’s doing very well in Germany though, which is nice to see. He even was a nominee for UEFA team of the year. Another great academy product

He was only brought back to make money on, decent going forward crap defensively and still is, luckily one of the better teams in a shit league bought him, good luck Angelino but we ripped Red Bull a new A*** hole

100%

some posters towing the company line already as you can see.

here’s the facts.

PSG wanted him due to how good he was.

he wanted to come back to us.

Pep never wanted him.

He was left to rot on the bench. There were games when we’d be 4-0 up, a left back would come off and someone else would go on.

Then he was dumped in for his big chance. Versus peak Salah at Klanfield.

Take a look at that team, it was gash.

Next game I can’t recall but it was someone like Hazard or similar and I remember thinking Pep fucked him.

Benched for a few games and then there was a game where he whipped in about 10 lethal crosses but we had no movement around the box at all.

Pep couldn’t wait to ship him out.

I love Pep, but it’s clear as day if he doesn’t like someone this is what happens. See Sane, Leroy.

Because of our treatment of him, we got shafted on the transfer fee. Fact is, had we bought him cold, we’d all be doing backflips over YouTube clips and spending 70 mil plus.

He was abjectly awful in that game. Plenty of left backs have done way better against Salah. Including might I say Mendy on at least 2 occasions. Angelino cannot defend. He doesn't play left back for Leipzig. So exactly what role would he have played in a Pep team?

Has he been treated somewhat poorly by the club? You can make an argument.

Has he been pretty poor when given the chance? That is true as well.

I know he didn't get a consistent run in the team which always helps and Pep has seen Angelino in training more than anyone so his judgment on whether he would've been a productive fit is the best.

I don't think he would fit in our system. Especially the one we are currently running with false fullbacks, free 8s, false 9, etc. His strengths would not have been utilized properly.

I'm glad he is thriving in Germany. He's performing well in the league and in European football as well. He would not have reached those heights here.

In a way the club has treated him decently in that they sent him to a top 2 club in Netherlands to develop and a top 4 club in Germany to continue his career while not holding out for outrageous fees that the clubs in question wouldn't have been able to pay (or maybe they could, I don't pay attention much to the financial side of football).

Good luck to the lad, hopefully he can get over any bitterness and continues to thrive. Worked out fairly well overall for all parties.

Don't see any issues here

Hes a youth player who wasn't that close to the first team who we sold for.a small fee, but given the buy back clause we basically broke even and got back a far superior player

Did he get a fair shake on his return? Probably not

Could the club have treated him better? Likely yes

Could we have gotten a higher fee? Potentially (but not as high as some would think)

Do I think that he suits playing in a back 5? 100% and I don't think he was ever cut out for the Prem

Should we have changed our system full of genuine world class players to get more out of him? FUCK NO

Zinchenko is imo (and Peps) a far superior player in this team than angelino ever would've been

Perhaps he could've been 2nd choice over Mendy, but no one is after Mendy

We got a good fee for a player who really had no future at the club and we are far to good (and doing far too well) to have to accommodate players that just may not have the ability to cut it

Healthy profit that will go straight into the FFP books and we move on without losing any sleep (as I can't see him becoming some world beater we'd regret) and he stays at a good club in a league whereby the defending is god awful so he can look a million dollars

He was abjectly awful in that game. Plenty of left backs have done way better against Salah. Including might I say Mendy on at least 2 occasions. Angelino cannot defend. He doesn't play left back for Leipzig. So exactly what role would he have played in a Pep team?

He was mauled by Salah because it was effectively his first game that season.
I’m not saying given everything in his favour he’d have stopped him either, but he wasn’t given a chance. You can’t not play someone all season, no even giving them decent sub appearances, only to drop them in to that scenario of all games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.