Angelino

Don’t begrudge him any bitterness. We bought him back and benched him. It was unusual and I’m sure very frustrating. At least we sold him back there on a sweetheart deal so I think we did OK by him in the end but no issues with him saying a few negative things

“Judged me after two games” -> Not sure how's that valid? Pep played him some more games after those 2 friendlies. Didn't Pep evaluate Angelino's performance in those games?

And then, ask yourselves whether Pep let players play against each other in training? What was Pep doing while he coached Angelino in those training sessions? Did Pep just ignore his training performance while Angelino himself admitted that Pep taught him a lot?

Now, compare the whole situation with Zinchenko who didn't play for us for many games straight at the beginning of this season (and other previous seasons).
There was one game against the Scousers where he was catastrophic. No surprise Pep didnt trust him after that. Also, it still seems to be forgotten that he doesnt play as a left back for Leipzig - he is an attacking wing back. Doesnt fit into our team framework in any way.

Bitter. He was nowhere near good enough.

I don't buy his claims at all. He got plenty of chances. He was just poor.

Most of the time he looked completely lost defensively - his positioning, marking, decision making looked awful.

Mendy is a better defender. For all the stick he gets, he's been pretty solid defensively since his injuries, bar the occasional clanger (not unlike Walker). It's going forwards where he needs to improve massively IMO.
He was simply not good enough, he was brought back to be sold on for profit.

I do think we need to be careful with these types of deals, we are going to get a reputation for using young players to make profit with no intention of the said players making it at MCFC.

I think the club bought him to make a quick profit. They were never going to tell him that though.
So i feel for him. I think the club/Pep knew that he wasn't going to fit into Pep's tactics.

Bitter. He was nowhere near good enough.

I don't buy his claims at all. He got plenty of chances. He was just poor.

Most of the time he looked completely lost defensively - his positioning, marking, decision making looked awful.

Mendy is a better defender. For all the stick he gets, he's been pretty solid defensively since his injuries, bar the occasional clanger (not unlike Walker). It's going forwards where he needs to improve massively IMO.
He was bloody rubbish against Liverpool last season.

I remember being struck by how bad he seemed when he first returned after the buyback.

I was excited to see what he could offer but he stuck out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the squad.

I do think that maybe he should have got some chances after getting to learn the way the team play but his strengths did not match what the team needed.

Hope he has a successful career but cannot see him as a true left back in the Premier League for any side in the top 2/3's of the table.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.