Annual In Memoriam Sheffield United 30th December

I missed the Palace game. I don’t really keep tabs on these things but it was possibly the first home game I’ve missed since we switched grounds.

I was having my pre match pint yesterday and about three different lots of people came up to me and asked if I was ok and said it was good to see me. They were all people I’ve seen knocking about in my area hundreds of times but never really spoken to before. Thought it was a bit odd but didn’t really connect it with me missing the previous game, as it seems so long ago now. Assumed it was more a Christmas thing and people just being nice.

Then I went to my seat and my local steward, who I kind of know a little bit from outside of football aswell, comes rushing up to me, saying… Thank God you’re here. I had people coming up to me all game last time, asking if I knew where you were and if you were ok?

I started this post once and deleted it because I’m conscious of it coming across as.. Check me out, I’m so popular. But that isn’t my intention at all.

The point of it, is that cliches often get thrown around about the ‘City family’ and other sentimental shit like that.

But for the first time yesterday, it really struck me of how true that really is. We are like a big, weird extended family. Even people who you’ve no idea even exist, are there, hovering in the background, looking out for you.

Several ex wives have remarked over the years that I’m the least emotional person they’ve ever met and I can seem totally devoid of feelings at times. But I was really touched yesterday.

There are some lovely posts on this thread and apologies for clogging it up with such a long winded, indulgent one.

But for everyone who’s suffering at the moment with a loss, remember, when the time feels right, there really is a big family of people looking out for you at City.

You may not even realise it. But they are there when you need them.

Happy New Year, everyone. x

Although I asked very nicely, City wouldn't include @andyhinch on the list of names yesterday, so I had to submit his real name instead - Andy Smith.

Yesterday was also the day I finally got round to bringing a tiny spoonful of his ashes to the ground with me. I know I was supposed to leave them in the Garden of Remembrance but it felt more fitting to sneak them into the ground, have a beer at the bar, a smoke on the spirals and leave them under the seat he'd occupied so many times.

Finally resting in peace in the place he loved best.

Although I asked very nicely, City wouldn't include @andyhinch on the list of names yesterday, so I had to submit his real name instead - Andy Smith.

Yesterday was also the day I finally got round to bringing a tiny spoonful of his ashes to the ground with me. I know I was supposed to leave them in the Garden of Remembrance but it felt more fitting to sneak them into the ground, have a beer at the bar, a smoke on the spirals and leave them under the seat he'd occupied so many times.

Finally resting in peace in the place he loved best.
I'm crying again, so sorry for your loss x

I’m in the same boat. My mum died of cancer this year and was a city fan for over 65 years. We were too late to get her in the programme but we did get her onto the screens. Stupidly, I thought the names would be on the main screens so missed it. Would love to know if we could get a chance to see it somewhere.
I'm going to email the club will let you know if I get a reply

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.