Another blue gone too soon | RIP Barry James

Keepingthefaithsince1976

Team supported
Manchester City
RIP Barry James.

Not sure if this is the right place but I heard this morning that Barry James the younger brother of the late Dougie James (of soultrain fame) has passed away. He was a big blue.
I'd lost touch over the years but he joined the band toss the feathers as lead singer for a few years in the late 90's and had his own bands for years before and after that. He also played often with Dougie James and the soul train.
He was a top bloke and I'm sure he will be sadly missed by his long time partner Jane, his daughter Dominique and any other offspring and relatives. If anyone knows any more details please post and I'll try and get messages to the family through contacts I have. He lived a long time in Wythenshawe but last I heard he had been playing a residency in Amsterdam. He played at Knutsford wine bar a lot when I knew him as well as around Wilmslow, Alderley Edge, Didsbury, City centre Manchester, as well as touring the UK, Ireland and Europe. I'm trying to get more details and will try and post but I think he was only about 60 years of age. RIP Baz.

This name rings a bell. Did he used to play in a band in Times Square/O'Neil's and Squires in the 90's? He was lead singer and guitarist, used to play the guitar behind his head sometimes if it's him. Might have been called Slap and Tickle....
That's him mate. One of his hero's was Phil Lynot from Thin Lizzy fame. He had a few different names for his bands while he was sorting out his favoured line up. He played Phil Lynot 10th anniversary gig at the point theatre in Dublin in front of about 7000 and was a real gigging guy. Always working, always smiling never too busy to say hello and have a chat. He had a navy blue transit van and he had an electronic ramp fitted to transport his Mum in her wheelchair. He would pick up every band member before a gig and drop them home afterwards. Had a big head of afro hair, great musician and singer. Had a huge repertoire of songs, purple rain from Prince being one of his covers but he wrote stuff too. Played loads in the osheas and the 32 club in town with a few Irish musos. If nothing else it'd be nice for his family to be able to read comments from fellow blues who may have seen him play over the years. I think brasingamans in Alderley Edge and the galleon in Gatley were another couple of his gigs. He supported Georgie Fame at Blackpool Tower ballrooms years ago too.

Last edited:
That's him mate. One of his hero's was Phil Lynot from Thin Lizzy fame. He had a few different names for his bands while he was sorting out his favoured line up. He played Phil Lynot 10th anniversary gig at the point theatre in Dublin in front of about 7000 and was a real gigging guy. Always working, always smiling never too busy to say hello and have a chat. Had a big head of afro hair, great musician and singer. Had a huge repertoire of songs, purple rain from Prince being one of his covers but he wrote stuff too. Played loads in the osheas and the 32 club in town with a few Irish musos. If nothing else it'd be nice for his family to be able to read comments from fellow blues who may have seen him play over the years. I think brasingamans in Alderley Edge and the galleon in Gatley were another couple of his gigs. He supported Georgie Fame at Blackpool Tower ballrooms years ago too.

Shit I'm gutted. Great guy, chatted to him a few times as I grew up in Wythenshawe myself. Loved watching him play, always top tunes. He did a great version of Maria Maria by Carlos Santana. Asked around about them a lot but people said he was playing abroad. Fucks sake gone too soon, always smiling and happy.

Chris Cormac a lad off hillock, who was the son of my mums friend back in the 80s, was in Toss The Feathers.
He was indeed mate. I was the drummer for about 8 years. Chris is a great guy. Brilliant musician. Plays banjo, guitar, drums and sings amongst other things. His family would come to St. Wilfreds in Hulme/moss side for Irish music lessons in the 70's. If you ever see Chris ask him is he langers? He'll roar with laughter.

Edit; There were a lot of families from round Whitefield, Cheetham Hill area who came to St. Wilfreds and who were the founders of the cheetham Hill Irish Centre on queen's Road that was a huge success from day one. I'm sure it will still be there.

Last edited:
Shit I'm gutted. Great guy, chatted to him a few times as I grew up in Wythenshawe myself. Loved watching him play, always top tunes. He did a great version of Maria Maria by Carlos Santana. Asked around about them a lot but people said he was playing abroad. Fucks sake gone too soon, always smiling and happy.
There was a big scene going on around Didsbury, Withington, (The Metropolitan)Burton road area in the 90's and beyond and he was a big part of that. He kept a lot of musicians in work and would go out and get gigs and keep things moving. Life's too short mate.

There was a big scene going on around Didsbury, Withington, (The Metropolitan)Burton road area in the 90's and beyond and he was a big part of that. He kept a lot of musicians in work and would go out and get gigs and keep things moving. Life's too short mate.

Yes Didsbury was jumping back then. I remember Groovy Revolution too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.