Another blue gone too soon | RIP Barry James

Remember Foster on the door?.Big black guy, City fan too.
I don't mate. I didn't really bother with security till I got a bit older and wiser. Ignorance was bliss hey ha ha. Nicky Weaver came in their one night and I was dead chuffed because I was behind the drum kit with my city shirt on so great timing. You just made me remember something actually...when I started cab driving after the drumming started quietening down I picked up some of the City team in fancy dress in town for their xmas do. I think Andy Morrison was dressed as Batman but it was ages ago. They said they liked I was playing a brand new heavies CD in the cab.

I don't mate. I didn't really bother with security till I got a bit older and wiser. Ignorance was bliss hey ha ha. Nicky Weaver came in their one night and I was dead chuffed because I was behind the drum kit with my city shirt on so great timing. You just made me remember something actually...when I started cab driving after the drumming started quietening down I picked up some of the City team in fancy dress in town for their xmas do. I think Andy Morrison was dressed as Batman but it was ages ago. They said they liked I was playing a brand new heavies CD in the cab.

I was in there when Nicky came in. We had just beaten Chester away in the fa cup. He was absolutely hammered. He tried getting on the mic. Shaun was trying to throw him out and we're all going "It's Nicky Weaver!" Lol.

I was in there when Nicky came in. We had just beaten Chester away in the fa cup. He was absolutely hammered. He tried getting on the mic. Shaun was trying to throw him out and we're all going "It's Nicky Weaver!" Lol.
Bloody hell you have a good memory. Yeah I remember him being close to the stage. That must have been before the Gillingham chaos. We would play the 32 club and it was being managed by a huge blue called Raff. The day after Gillingham we had a rehearsal down there and Raff and me couldn't speak because we'd roared our voices off at Wembley.
It's all coming back now...Tony Coton came in shakers one night in Heaton Mersey and bought nearly everyone a drink top bloke he is.

Bloody hell you have a good memory. Yeah I remember him being close to the stage. That must have been before the Gillingham chaos. We would play the 32 club and it was being managed by a huge blue called Raff. The day after Gillingham we had a rehearsal down there and Raff and me couldn't speak because we'd roared our voices off at Wembley.
It's all coming back now...Tony Coton came in shakers one night in Heaton Mersey and bought nearly everyone a drink top bloke he is.

The season after Gillingham but the same year, December 1999 we won 4-1. Great night in there at the end of the season when we beat Blackburn 4-1 on a Sunday. I got back, straight into Didsbury. The band played Blue moon. All the roads were full of Blues, stopped the traffic, the police had to clear the road.

The season after Gillingham but the same year, December 1999 we won 4-1. Great night in there at the end of the season when we beat Blackburn 4-1 on a Sunday. I got back, straight into Didsbury. The band played Blue moon. All the roads were full of Blues, stopped the traffic, the police had to clear the road.
We were on a lads holiday in your favourite resort PC, Los Cristianos, Tenerife, what a day, a good few of us Blues on a lads trip with some Rag mates, including one of my best friends, Sparx, who's unfortunately is a proper red but we have been close mates for over 30 years.

That Sunday, we watched in a bar in LC, but the Plasma TV "popped" around 20 minutes from time, the bar owner brought a small portable TV down and we all gathered round to watch the Kennedy/Dickov/Royle famous goals and celebrations, big Joe, "we call Dickov Crocus because he comes out in the Spring".

Sparx the red had just been given the all clear after having a tumour removed from his brain at the time and he celebrated the City win with us in a nightclub until the early hours, the other rags went home gutted.

Sparx is 70 in January, one of my best mates, there's always 9 out of 10 great lads that are Blues but 9 out of ten Rags are knobs.

Genuinely gutted to hear this, Barry was our kids best mate for donkeys years growing up and lived at the back of us (was Barry Thomas back then though, and chubby).

Only seen him a few times in the last 40 years ( he was gigging and travelling all over the show) but when I did, it was always like I’d only seen him the day before, so many great memories, still remember him bringing his guitar to our kids 13th birthday party (even then, fuck me he could play), the time his sister set their Alsatian on me and it bit me on my arse, when his rabbit escaped and ate my step dads prize marrow, the time I borrowed him my drumsticks for a band member (and never saw them again), getting his City bobble hat nicked on the way back from a night game at Maine Road by a gang of lads, him running after them, and getting a good kick in on a little hill near Platt Fields, so many more.

A lot of Blues probably won’t have ever heard of Barry, which is a shame, he was a supremely talented guitar player, and should have gone on to much much bigger things, but I guess the cards just didn’t fall for him, most of all, he really was a cracking lad, humble with such a bright, sunny and upbeat personality and a big kind heart to match, I never remember anything other than smiles and laughter with him, our kid and my Mam will be gutted when I tell them later on, they thought the world of Barry back then.

R.I.P and condolences to Barrys family and friends, we know how hard losing him will be and what a huge hole he’s left x

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.