Another good piece by Martin Samuel

squirtyflower said:
Toon Exile said:
Not at all. I am saying he spent in line with the other clubs around at the time. I think Bruce was oneof his first signings at 800k - to compare Liverpool bought Beardsley an barnes for a combined total of aropund 3 million.

My point is not that he has spent, my point is he was given limited funds to do so until they knew he was reliable.

We all hate the rags but the domination of the league is down to him alone, I thuink he should be looked at as a bueprint to how to win titles. He has spent Net £177 million since 92 - I want a manager who sees the value in building a team as a alluded to earlier.
i knew you couldn't resist biting so i had this already from Fergie's wiki

In the 1987–88 season, Ferguson made several major signings, including Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton. The new players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in second place, nine points behind Liverpool.
United were expected to do well when Mark Hughes returned to the club two years after leaving for Barcelona, but the 1988–89 season was a disappointment for them, finishing eleventh in the league and losing 1–0 at home to Nottingham Forest in the FA Cup Sixth Round.
For the 1989–90 season, Ferguson further boosted his squad by paying large sums of money for midfielders Neil Webb, Mike Phelan and Paul Ince, as well as defender Gary Pallister and winger Danny Wallace. The season began well with a 4–1 win over defending champions Arsenal on the opening day, but United's league form quickly turned sour. In September, United suffered a humiliating 5–1 away defeat against fierce rivals Manchester City. Following this and an early season run of six defeats and two draws in eight games, a banner declaring "Three years of excuses and it's still crap...ta-ra Fergie." was displayed at Old Trafford, and many journalists and supporters called for Ferguson to be sacked. Ferguson later described December 1989 as "the darkest period [he had] ever suffered in the game", as United ended the decade just outside the relegation zone.

we weren't discussing his overall outlay since 1992, the time only united fans think the league began
we were actually discussing him NOT spending money before winning anything
of course the above proves you WRONG yet again you charlatan

i shouldn't really argue with an idiot, as you're on home turf

Read the thread back sweetheart I spoke about Bruce!!!

Toon Exile said:
Baconface cant be discussed in the same breath as Pep and JM for the simple reason hes been there since the 80's and made them successful then spent money, the difference being, the money he got to spend was in good faith as the board knew he delivered.

We need a manager who wants to build a team and has long term goals, not one who says give me 100 mill in summer I will deliver a title and do one.
i know exactly what you quoted, it's above just to remind you

Well, Platt is still scouting players if the reports he was in Portugal on Monday night are correct.

Which does beggar the question, do Mancini and his staff really believe they are out of the door at the end of the season?

Have they been informed they are already staying, or are they out of any loop.

Coming 24 hours after the Arsenal debacle, it's a valid question.

squirtyflower said:
Toon Exile said:
Baconface cant be discussed in the same breath as Pep and JM for the simple reason hes been there since the 80's and made them successful then spent money, the difference being, the money he got to spend was in good faith as the board knew he delivered.

We need a manager who wants to build a team and has long term goals, not one who says give me 100 mill in summer I will deliver a title and do one.

Yep and I believe they won the FA cup in 90 - so to re-itterate, i know he spent money but not vasts out of the ordinary until they were a major success.

My point here is not to dick ferguson, i couldnt really give two shits about him. My argument is for stability and not thinking splashing the cash is the way forward, and JM would do that.

Take for example Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs All been through loads of managers in the last 10 years and look where they are now, Spurs wioll be in more trouble when Redknapp goes coz the next manager wont get the cash.

Then take United, Arsenal Everton even stoke. Now Stoke are puching well above their weight but in Pulis the team is settled, Everton have a net spend of £2 million and challenging for the FA CUp and Europe, Arsenal were written off and whilst they aint wont nowt for going on 7 years are in the champions league and are looking hlf decent again. All these teams have stability.

All im saying is City have a large and very talented squad, with stability we can achieve great things.

Toon Exile said:
squirtyflower said:
Toon Exile said:

Yep and I believe they won the FA cup in 90 - so to re-itterate, i know he spent money but not vasts out of the ordinary until they were a major success.

My point here is not to dick ferguson, i couldnt really give two shits about him. My argument is for stability and not thinking splashing the cash is the way forward, and JM would do that.

Take for example Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs All been through loads of managers in the last 10 years and look where they are now, Spurs wioll be in more trouble when Redknapp goes coz the next manager wont get the cash.

Then take United, Arsenal Everton even stoke. Now Stoke are puching well above their weight but in Pulis the team is settled, Everton have a net spend of £2 million and challenging for the FA CUp and Europe, Arsenal were written off and whilst they aint wont nowt for going on 7 years are in the champions league and are looking hlf decent again. All these teams have stability.

All im saying is City have a large and very talented squad, with stability we can achieve great things.
a side stepping, lying charlatan

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Well, Platt is still scouting players if the reports he was in Portugal on Monday night are correct.

Which does beggar the question, do Mancini and his staff really believe they are out of the door at the end of the season?

Personally I think things are no different to what they were a week ago in terms of people "knowing" what's going on. Everyone can and will read what they want into everything from Micah's interview to Mancini's body language, to Khaldoon's face of thunder post Arsenal and the silence from the board.

Platt doing what he's paid to do is part of the business as usual side of football management you'd expect from everyone on staff.

squirtyflower said:
Toon Exile said:
squirtyflower said:

a side stepping, lying charlatan

hahaha cheers for that.

Guardiola has got great players there but the way they play is something special and he's responsible for that.

tolmie's hairdoo said:

If you are to believe Leslie and his crew they were unaware of their impending fate until moments before the start of the Sunderland game even though the rumour mill had been building so they were either a tad naive or blatent liars.

Only the owners and the likes of Pep and Jose would know about any approaches re their availability next season.

Usually a manager has some idea of his impending fate but often the case is the decision is made in a very short period of time and he is told soon after the decision , it can all unravel in a couple of days.

The board are looking for progress and a sense of stability without too many unrealistic demands.

Mancini may be the type of manager who can put up with board decisions in relation to players who he must keep a managable relationship with but given the money he has been able to spend on players he will have clear targets each season he has to meet with little room for falling short of.

Good squads should get the job done no matter who is in charge and if not then you have to question the whole set up from top to bottom of which management is only one part of.

mancity1 said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:

If you are to believe Leslie and his crew they were unaware of their impending fate until moments before the start of the Sunderland game even though the rumour mill had been building so they were either a tad naive or blatent liars.

Only the owners and the likes of Pep and Jose would know about any approaches re their availability next season.

Usually a manager has some idea of his impending fate but often the case is the decision is made in a very short period of time and he is told soon after the decision , it can all unravel in a couple of days.

The board are looking for progress and a sense of stability without too many unrealistic demands.

Mancini may be the type of manager who can put up with board decisions in relation to players who he must keep a managable relationship with but given the money he has been able to spend on players he will have clear targets each season he has to meet with little room for falling short of.

Good squads should get the job done no matter who is in charge and if not then you have to question the whole set up from top to bottom of which management is only one part of.

great post mate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.