Another shooting in america

Bigga said:
That's why I said the STATE of Texas has gone down this path.
It hasn't. Texas, and six other states, allow teachers to have guns if they have concealed carry permits AND have been given written authorisation by the school. This is not granted as a rule. ONE town in Texas has just given the written authorisation.

Skashion said:
Bigga said:
It hasn't. Texas, and six other states, allow teachers to have guns if they have concealed carry permits AND have been given written authorisation by the school. This is not granted as a rule. ONE town in Texas has just given the written authorisation.

So the federal law is not even worth the paper its written on

Skashion said:
Bigga said:

Yeah, I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Texas has allowed this town to create a chink in the wall of guns(other states are CONSIDERING it) and school property. Pressure to allow others to do the same will soon follow, especially in the wake of the tragedy, and they cannot deny them this new 'right'.

Texas should have just said NO, full stop.

Bigga said:
Skashion said:
Bigga said:

Texas has allowed this town to create a chink in the wall of guns(other states are CONSIDERING it) and school property. Pressure to allow others to do the same will soon follow, especially in the wake of the tragedy, and they cannot deny them this new 'right'.

Well after reading the law on wiki it does say you can do that, so all schools could do it following provisions.
They should reissue the law saying if your not a police officer GTFO
Then they should renew the Assault weapons law that run out in 2004 while Geore dubya blow you up was in charge

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Well, you'll see the Federal Law contains the exclusion:

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

So Texas is complying with it.

The United States is in the position where it doesn't want a big showdown between Federal and State law, so even if a state appears to be breaking a federal law, it will be ignored quite often. These things are regularly decided by precedent setting cases which can take years of appeals depending on how high they go.

Bigga said:

No, I don't think you understand the situation. No gun laws have changed in the past few days at the state level. Seven states, including Texas, already allowed schools to do this before this tragedy. The state of Texas has done nothing new in the past few days to allow this. ONE school has given written authorisation it could have given before the tragedy - but didn't.

Skashion said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Well, you'll see the Federal Law contains the exclusion:

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

So Texas is complying with it.

The United States is in the position where it doesn't want a big showdown between Federal and State law, so even if a state appears to be breaking a federal law, it will be ignored quite often. These things are regularly decided by precedent setting cases which can take years of appeals depending on how high they go.

Bigga said:

No, I don't think you understand the situation. No gun laws have changed in the past few days at the state level. Seven states, including Texas, already allowed schools to do this before this tragedy. The state of Texas has done nothing new in the past few days to allow this. ONE school has given written authorisation it could have given before the tragedy - but didn't.

There is a caveat to your post. I concur with what you write, but there are states that allow the carrying of a concealed weapon, without written authorisation, as long as that individual has a license for that purpose.

Bigga said:
There is a caveat to your post. I concur with what you write, but there are states that allow the carrying of a concealed weapon, without written authorisation, as long as that individual has a license for that purpose.
Which state allows guns in schools without written permission of the school district or school?

Skashion said:
Bigga said:
Which state allows guns in schools without written permission of the school district or school?

It's not quite a question of "which state".

The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act limits where an unlicensed person may carry; carry of a weapon, openly or concealed, within 1000 feet of a school zone is prohibited, with exceptions granted in the Federal law to holders of valid State-issued weapons permits

The head of the NRA is expected to make some remarks today. This is a chance for them to become part of an intelligent conversation about our gun laws but I'm not holding my breath. I expect more of the "we need more guns" argument.

Bigga said:
It's not quite a question of "which state".

The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act limits where an unlicensed person may carry; carry of a weapon, openly or concealed, within 1000 feet of a school zone is prohibited, with exceptions granted in the Federal law to holders of valid State-issued weapons permits
Federal law says that states get to decide their own exceptions as long as they have state-licensing restrictions as a mandatory pre-condition. States may impose additional criteria which as far as I know, they all do, Texas included. As far as I know all of the states that allow people to carry a gun in a school zone must have the written permission of the school district or school. Please tell me which state allows people to carry guns in its schools without the written permissions of the school district or school.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.