Another shooting in america

Johnsonontheleft said:
buckshot said:
The NRA will say that this was two bad guys with guns so it's everybody else's fault for getting shot because they didn't have guns themselves.

Gun laws will not remove guns from bad guys - I don't see the point of introducing gun laws in America, that horse bolted a long time ago.

There won't be any, but if there was itd be fine. "Bad guys" with guns don't bother me. They usually don't shoot up schools and movie theatres. As long as it becomes harder for emotionally unstable weirdos to get them I'm ok with it.

Johnsonontheleft said:
buckshot said:
The NRA will say that this was two bad guys with guns so it's everybody else's fault for getting shot because they didn't have guns themselves.

Gun laws will not remove guns from bad guys - I don't see the point of introducing gun laws in America, that horse bolted a long time ago.

I disagree. If you make it illegal to sell these guns then sooner or later those that are used to commit crimes will be confiscated over time. And these whack jobs who use them for massacres probably won't have access to them because they aren't "criminals" they are lunatics and lunatics are usually loners who wouldn't know where to go to obtain an illegal gun.

BTW, I've said it before an I'll say it again, I'm not anti-gun I'm anti-assault weapon. When I was a kid my father took me hunting and taught me gun safety. Even though I didn't like it I still remember what he taught me and am contantly horrified by how little respect gun owners give to their firearms.

rick773 said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
buckshot said:

There won't be any, but if there was itd be fine. "Bad guys" with guns don't bother me. They usually don't shoot up schools and movie theatres. As long as it becomes harder for emotionally unstable weirdos to get them I'm ok with it.

You're kidding right?

Johnsonontheleft said:
rick773 said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

You're kidding right?

He is right, restricting certain guns will make it harder or even impossible for some people to get them. And if you combine that with tougher background checks you'll have an even greater effect.

rick773 said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
buckshot said:

Are 'bad guys' and 'emotionally unstable weirdos' easy to differentiate?
And are they mutually exclusive?
I would suggest that there may be some crossover between the two.

There has just been another shooting 3 injured.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/22/shooting-lone-star-college-texas

Shooting on campus of Lone Star College in Texas leaves three injured
College advises staff and students to take immediate shelter and other schools go into lockdown after argument escalates

Three people were injured in a shooting at a college campus in Texas on Tuesday, after an argument escalated into violence.

The incident took place between 12.30pm and 12.50pm CT at a Lone Star College campus to the north of Houston, according to the Harris County sheriff's office. Eyewitness accounts suggest that two men began arguing and both suffered gunshot wounds during the altercation. A maintenance man who was an innocent bystander was also shot, in the leg. A fourth person, a woman, was taken ill at the scene. All were hospitalised.

Police said that both suspects were in custody. One was detained at the campus then taken to hospital while the other was on the loose for more than an hour before reportedly turning himself in at a medical center.

"We do have two people of interest that we have detained and are questioning at this time but we haven't determined their exact involvement, who did what," Captain Ken Melancon of the Harris County Sheriff's Office told a news conference. "We don't believe any other suspects are out there... we do believe we have the people of interest."

Aerial footage from local television showed police and paramedics tending to two injured people on the campus and more than a dozen police cars blocking surrounding roads as students were evacuated from the premises. In the immediate aftermath of the shooting an alert posted on the college's website had advised students and staff to take immediate shelter where they were. Four nearby schools were placed on lockdown as a precaution.

"I saw two dudes basically get into an altercation and... the dude that shot, he basically got angry and, you know, started shooting the other guy. A lot of people heard a lot of shots," Brittany Mobley, a student, told KHOU local news.

The North Harris campus near George Bush Intercontinental Airport is one of six run by Lone Star College, which has a total of 90,000 students, making it the city's biggest higher-education institution.

It is the fifth shooting incident at a US educational establishment since 10 January. However, many Texas politicians have criticised President Obama's plans for increased gun controls following the Newtown massacre last December.

Rick Perry, the Texas governor, said last week that prayer, rather than tighter firearms restrictions, was the best response to combat violence in society.

"Our office remains in contact with state law enforcement and Governor Perry has been briefed on what is known so far about the situation. His thoughts and prayers are with those that have been impacted," a spokesman for Governor Perry told the Guardian.

Texas prohibits concealed handguns on campuses but the state's politicians are debating a bill that would allow university students and staff members with concealed handgun permits to carry their weapons on college premises, including in classrooms.

buckshot said:
Johnsonontheleft said:
buckshot said:

I disagree. If you make it illegal to sell these guns then sooner or later those that are used to commit crimes will be confiscated over time. And these whack jobs who use them for massacres probably won't have access to them because they aren't "criminals" they are lunatics and lunatics are usually loners who wouldn't know where to go to obtain an illegal gun.

BTW, I've said it before an I'll say it again, I'm not anti-gun I'm anti-assault weapon. When I was a kid my father took me hunting and taught me gun safety. Even though I didn't like it I still remember what he taught me and am contantly horrified by how little respect gun owners give to their firearms.

I agree with the last part of your post. I recently had a picture sent to me showing a ruger 10/22 semi-automatic. One looks like a rifle, one looks like an assault rifle, but both have a capacity of ten rounds. The argument was: this is why a ban on assault rifles isn't realistic. Because the Ruger 10/22 can be classified as an assault rifle. My argument: then change the classifiaction of assault rifles.

That said, most homicides by gun, aren't comitted by assault rifles.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
rick773 said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

Are 'bad guys' and 'emotionally unstable weirdos' easy to differentiate?
And are they mutually exclusive?
I would suggest that there may be some crossover between the two.

Yes. I highly doubt Adam Lanza was pushing coke or in a street gang pre school shooting. I may be wrong but i don't think any of the big public shootings have been done by convicted felons or anyone else that'd be a "bad guy" . Basically there'd still be gun crime and a lot of it in America even with strict gun laws, but I think the chances of
mass shootings in public places would decrease.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.