any decent christmas markets? not manchester!

goatinho

got family coming up to manchester over christmas but want to avoid the over rated christmas markets in town but does anyone know any others not too far away?
or i nice little town to go? we went to haworth the other year and that was quite good.

Try Grassington near Skipton. Every weekend leading up to christmas , they have a Dickensian one. A lot of the locals dress up in Victorian clothing . They have all the old market type stuff and other people selling roast chestnuts etc.
It does get very busy.If you go on a good weather day its really quaintish and the surrounding countryside is stunning.
Not sure when it ends tho. The last one could be this weekend.

Let's have it right, ALL the Christmas markets are shite.....they are just full of overpriced tatt, that most of us wouldn't look twice at in a shop.

And full of the people who wouldn't be seen dead on a regular market. (Unless it was that 'lovely rustic one we found in Provence/Tuscany/wherever''....

As for the food and drink, it may be half way decent, but the price again is ridiculous.

Not that even if you stump up for it you can eat it or drink it, without some dickhead who thought taking a double buggy in there was a good idea mashing yer ankles. Bollocks to that..... I'm out.

V. Meldrew

MCFCTrick said:
Let's have it right, ALL the Christmas markets are shite.....they are just full of overpriced tatt, that most of us wouldn't look twice at in a shop.

And full of the people who wouldn't be seen dead on a regular market. (Unless it was that 'lovely rustic one we found in Provence/Tuscany/wherever''....

As for the food and drink, it may be half way decent, but the price again is ridiculous.

Not that even if you stump up for it you can eat it or drink it, without some dickhead who thought taking a double buggy in there was a good idea mashing yer ankles. Bollocks to that..... I'm out.

V. Meldrew

Depressingly accurate post.

For a different Dickensian experience, head to Deventer in the Netherlands next year. It hosts a Dickensian weekend when the people dress up as the cast of his novels. Mind I don't think it'e entirely authentic, as they they don't do those British Christmas staples: hats from cats, and Native American dreamcatchers.

Agree with everything you said.

I'd just like to add that th beer is normally gassy crap and trying to drink it with your arm being knocked, others spilling it on you and people who think that shreaking/talking loud is cleaver as only they count and can do what they want as they've paid thier money etc.

My mother (she moans more than Victor)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.