Any telephone engineers out there

Just get a powerline kit. About £20.
I don't have a BT box but a quick search suggests some versions they rent/sell are ethernet only. One thing I spotted was that some subscription services such as BT Sport might not work over powerline kits, apparently. I don't know how true this is but it is on the BT website.

I don't have a BT box but a quick search suggests some versions they rent/sell are ethernet only. One thing I spotted was that some subscription services such as BT Sport might not work over powerline kits, apparently. I don't know how true this is but it is on the BT website.
Just had a quick read on this myself as I've no experience with a bt box but apparently you can only use a bt WiFi extender, a BT 11ac dual band WiFi 1200 being one of them ?

Might be some sort of encryption. I'd never heard of it.

It depends on where your router is, I guess. I get 70mb wired, 50 wireless so yes, there's a gain. Just don't think the extra 20 would be worth the cost of powerline adapters for me.
Router about 3 metres away, 76 down hardwired, 45 wireless , though the Mrs is hogging it with amazon prime atm ha. Horses for courses mate id pay the £20 all day long as I use iptv and watch movies with large file sizes so I'd always take the extra but you don't need anywhere nr those speeds for bt TV box

About 3 posters have already said power line. Piss easy to install and fast reliable speed.
This ... unless unless you live in an old house with shit wiring.
I have BT and if you have their BT TV box and it’s not directly connected to the router then it won’t allow you to stream BT Sport. What you cannot do is go via a managed switch or another router.
It doesn’t have to be BT branded power line adapters as well, any brand seems to work fine. Think mine are TP Link and its good enough for 4K when on Netflix and great for BT Sport in HD.

There's one coming to our house today to 'fix' my superfast fibre broadband! It's been on and off for three weeks. Three phone calls to India and I get an engineer. If the fault is theirs the engineer is free; if the fault lies within Ewing Towers it's a penny change outta £130! And on Monday, the whole thing 'fixes itself'! BT have flicked a switch at their end! Does that classify as a fault on their network?

There's one coming to our house today to 'fix' my superfast fibre broadband! It's been on and off for three weeks. Three phone calls to India and I get an engineer. If the fault is theirs the engineer is free; if the fault lies within Ewing Towers it's a penny change outta £130! And on Monday, the whole thing 'fixes itself'! BT have flicked a switch at their end! Does that classify as a fault on their network?
I would say yes if the fault is now fixed. The rule is anything back from the master socket to the outside world is their problem.
They will probably come in and run a test to check the attenuation of the line and the noise margin. If they look suspect then they will do a return loss (VSWR) test which will show the location of the fault.
It could be an intermittent fault, we had one on the top of the pole where water had got into the connection box. Worked fine most of the time but if it was really wet the internet started to disconnect and resync at lower speed.
It only costs you if there is a real fault internally to the house, they don’t charge you if no fault is found.
Most of the lads who do this stuff on the whole are fairly decent and will fix minor internal issues without any cost if you make them a brew.

Just beware of Powerlines, due to EU energy saving regs, they have to have a 'sleep' mode. What I've found with mine is that they will randomly sleep, even when there is potentially massive throughput when I'm streaming someting.

Just beware of Powerlines, due to EU energy saving regs, they have to have a 'sleep' mode. What I've found with mine is that they will randomly sleep, even when there is potentially massive throughput when I'm streaming someting.
There’s a fix for that.. or there is if they are TP Link. You can turn it off with the TP Link Utility.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.