Anyone been travelling?

I did Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia over 8 months when I was 22. Was meant to then go on to New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands and LA before returning home, but was fast running out of money.

I had three choices: get a job in Australia on my working visa (I loved Australia but everyone I met there who was on the One-Year Working Visas were working like dogs for a pittance and absolutely hated it), fast-track the rest of the trip over about 3-4 weeks, or go back to SE Asia for another 3 months. It was no contest really. I eventually left SE Asia for England 5 years later and then got sidetracked in Dubai on my way back!!

Now is the perfect time to get some work doing 'montage' (cleaning/erecting tents and caravans) in Europe for one of the holiday firms. If you drive and can speak a tiny bit of French/Italian and can go at short notice then give the firms a call.
It's a great way to meet people and see places and the craic is always good. Once you're on the job you'll find allsorts of opportunities to get work doing other things and the 'network' of travellers can give you loads of info that will allow you to live and work abroad for 10 months of the year.

keycamp
frenchfreedom
canvasholidays
eurocamp

Godfather said:
Im at a bit of a loss what to do with my dull and repetitive life.

My mate is big on travelling but its never really appealled to me, but i do feel as though im missing out on some amazing experiences, i just have no idea where i'd want to go or what i'd want to do.

I think it may be a case of i would love it when im there but dont really fancy it at the moment.

Money wouldnt be an issue, so has any one been travelling and can share your experiences? Or is anyone planning on going travelling any time in the future?

be very careful where you go and what you might end up doing....

- in my case I got embroiled in NYC and ended up missing the Kinky years; something I shall forever regret.

MCFCinUSA said:
Godfather said:
Im at a bit of a loss what to do with my dull and repetitive life.

My mate is big on travelling but its never really appealled to me, but i do feel as though im missing out on some amazing experiences, i just have no idea where i'd want to go or what i'd want to do.

I think it may be a case of i would love it when im there but dont really fancy it at the moment.

Money wouldnt be an issue, so has any one been travelling and can share your experiences? Or is anyone planning on going travelling any time in the future?

be very careful where you go and what you might end up doing....

- in my case I got embroiled in NYC and ended up missing the Kinky years; something I shall forever regret.

Ive been to New York 3 times and going for a fourth later this year, i love america amd like ive said a few time salready i love the thought of canada, although ive never been. I think if i do end up travelling it will be contained between these two countries, so so much to see.

I have travelled on and off since 1997. Basically I quit my job, sold everything I owned and set of with an aim to get to Australia without flying. I started from Milnrow train station into town, national Express to Plymouth and then ferry to Santander. I travelled through Western Europe,Eastern Europe and the Baltic states to St Petersburg, Moscow and then the big train journey across Russia to Beijing. Then across China down into Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. I then went to Thailand where I learnt to scuba dive and spent a couple of years on and off working in a dive shop on Kho Tao. I never made it to Australia on this trip (though I did get as far as Baili with only 1 flight from Phnom Phen to Bangkok, at the time the Kmer Rough were still active and the land border was closed) I had to wait a few more years to get there.

For me the best way to go is pick a route and everything else falls into place. As some have said you can get ''templed out'' so if you chose a long route you can swap and change your aims as you go. From my trip above I started through Europe so there were great city's to visit with museums,art galleries and history. Into Easter Europe then it was wonderful scenery and hiking in the mountains ........ <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/02-06/a-guide-to-hiking-the-high-tatra-mountains-poland-and-slovakia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bootsnall.com/articles/02-06 ... vakia.html</a> .... and a step back in time almost in Poland, where you see horses ploughing fields and some of the last wilderness in Europe, Bison in the forests! Your first visit to any big Asian city IS culture-shock but SE Asia should be on anyone's travelling agenda. I have been to every country there except West Timur. All have different things to offer from beautiful Thai beaches (their is SO much more to Thailand than girly bars ) to the wonders of Angkor Wat.

There are two trips I would live to make as someone said, The Karakoram Highway ... <a class="postlink" href="http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/kkh_page1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.johnthemap.co.uk/pages/kkh_page1.html</a> ...... on one of the Silk Routes from Central Europe, India to Tibet and my favourite dream The Pan-American Highway ... <a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-American_Highway</a>. This could be a good starting point as language isn't a problem and by the time you get to Mexico you would have some time on the road.

Fell free to PM me for specifics or anything.

My biggest word of advice would be GO

smudgedj said:
phil31 said:
Im leavving manchester for hull begining of April then heading through Belgium towards Germany Austria, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Turkey after about15 weeks of cycling. Hopefully get an iranian visa in istanbul or ankara then head up to the stans. I was going to get the ferry from brindisi in italy to greece but i believe the south of france and italy will eat to much into my budget!!!

The travel bug is alive and kicking. CTID

How many miles a day are you planning on?

100km a day

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.