Anyone eaten in a 3 star michelin restaurant

Does anyone on here know if these places actually make any money or are they supported by outside egos. The start up costs, outgoings and expence of prepping these pretentious offerings just seem off the scale to a pleb like me.
Some do but it’s very hard. The set up costs and fixed overheads are huge, however the saving grace is the gross margins, which are insanely high. If such a business can get to its break even point then any marginal income translates well to the bottom line, but conversely if they fall below their break even then with those fixed costs (which don’t leave much room for cutting back) then things can unravel quickly unless, as you say, the business is supported by a benefactor.

I’d say the three business models that are most likely to succeed within that sub-sector are small venues in suburban settings, with a limited number of covers, where the owner-chef is in the kitchen pretty much every night overseeing a small brigade of chefs - and the rent is relatively modest; a restaurant that is attached to another business such as a hotel, so the overheads can be kept to a minimum and the chefs deployed for breakfast as well as the dining in the restaurant as a quid pro quo, as this means the capital investment for the operator is far less and there is a steady stream of business from hotel residents; and well located sites in London that are busy every night, not just at weekends.

Know several people who own multiple restaurants which include venues like this as well as more middle market places and the latter is far more profitable and much less hassle. They often have a weird relationship with the former which they grow to resent somewhat but still find it hard to let go of. They seem a lot of grief to me, but they plainly like the kudos and status it manifestly gives them.

Ego is a big part of that world, but it also drives people on to excellence.

Last edited:
I’ve been to 4 Michelin starred restaurants

L’Enclume - it was a 2 star at the time. Unbelievable experience. I went with my girlfriend in 2013 and I recall the package was a 16 course tester menu, overnight stay and breakfast for both of us £299. Great value really. The taster menu alone for one person is about £250 now.

1 stars
Yorke Arms –this was featured on the Trip alongside L’Enclume. Went in 2012 this cost about 200 quid for a 3 course a la carte , overnight stay and breakfast. The food was great, classic French/English cuisine done very well.
Box Tree in Ilkley in 2011 which is where Marco Pierre White trained before moving to Le Gavroche.
Northcote twice in 2011 . Both Box Tree and Northcote were lunch time mid-week trips and I’m sure it was a special offer of only £25 for 3 courses.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Michelin star restaurants.

Champignon Sauvage, Cheltenham *
Lumiere, Cheltenham *
Clove Club, London *
Salt, Stratford upon Avon *
No 6, Padstow *
Purnels, Birmingham *
Murano, London *
Gymkhana, London *

Restaurant 4 Saisons, Oxford **
L’enclume, Lake District **
Hand and Flowers, Marlow **
Midsummer House Cambridge **

Fat Duck ***
Restaurant Gordon Ramsey ***

IMO it’s easily worth the money - at least mine have been. You can easily spend 3-4 times as much as a normal restaurant but they’re experiences I’ll remember forever. It’s not just a meal, in the way going to a film premiere at Leicester Square is not putting a film on Netflix.

I would also say they can be some of the best value meals I’ve ever had. Mothers day a few years back I took mum to the Hand and Flowers and we ended up getting the lunch special.

The best meal of my life up to that point was about £45pp in a 2 star restaurant where a starter is roughly £25, main £50, desert £30. It’s such a bargain that I felt like I was being paid to eat it.

The only negative experience I had was Gordon Ramsay. It was amazing food but it was a client dinner (only one in the list that was) and I really did not like the client and it was slow.

If the price is an issue I would really look into set lunch menus, especially if it’s out in the countryside as they get less footfall, and also listen out for buzz around a place and simply go before they get a star. The food is the same, the prices aren’t.

Destination ones are always my favourite, because people are going there to eat. Youll meet other people who’ve travelled across the country or world to come and are really excited, and they really care about the food. If you go to London you’ll be surrounded by very rich people who just have a booking to show off.

My one regret is I never got to Le Gavroche. What a restaurant and the roll call of chefs who trained there is insane. My sister says she still wakes up occasionally thinking about the treacle tart they served for desert.
I ate at Le Gavroche when the Roux brothers were still i/c.
No idea what it cost as I was a corporate guest. I started with La Ina sherry and finished with a vintage Calvados. I think I had some food in the middle.
Ive been to the Boxtree several times. I would class it as variable— excellent at its best, good but not great otherwise.

I'm currently in the Volunteer in Sale. It's a Joey Holts pub so it's bound to be in the Michelin Guide I just don't know how many stars it's got. Though there are a couple in the vault.

I’ve been lucky enough to go to a few Michelin star restaurants.

Champignon Sauvage, Cheltenham *
Lumiere, Cheltenham *
Clove Club, London *
Salt, Stratford upon Avon *
No 6, Padstow *
Purnels, Birmingham *
Murano, London *
Gymkhana, London *

Restaurant 4 Saisons, Oxford **
L’enclume, Lake District **
Hand and Flowers, Marlow **
Midsummer House Cambridge **

Fat Duck ***
Restaurant Gordon Ramsey ***

IMO it’s easily worth the money - at least mine have been. You can easily spend 3-4 times as much as a normal restaurant but they’re experiences I’ll remember forever. It’s not just a meal, in the way going to a film premiere at Leicester Square is not putting a film on Netflix.

I would also say they can be some of the best value meals I’ve ever had. Mothers day a few years back I took mum to the Hand and Flowers and we ended up getting the lunch special.

The best meal of my life up to that point was about £45pp in a 2 star restaurant where a starter is roughly £25, main £50, desert £30. It’s such a bargain that I felt like I was being paid to eat it.

The only negative experience I had was Gordon Ramsay. It was amazing food but it was a client dinner (only one in the list that was) and I really did not like the client and it was slow.

If the price is an issue I would really look into set lunch menus, especially if it’s out in the countryside as they get less footfall, and also listen out for buzz around a place and simply go before they get a star. The food is the same, the prices aren’t.

Destination ones are always my favourite, because people are going there to eat. Youll meet other people who’ve travelled across the country or world to come and are really excited, and they really care about the food. If you go to London you’ll be surrounded by very rich people who just have a booking to show off.

My one regret is I never got to Le Gavroche. What a restaurant and the roll call of chefs who trained there is insane. My sister says she still wakes up occasionally thinking about the treacle tart they served for desert.

It means nothing to me but if people enjoy eating food prepared by the best people then good luck to them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.