Are City a better all round team without Haaland?

Phil is no slouch and remember seeing Villa at home against us pre-Covid (I asumme) and Grealish was causing us all sorts of problems on the break with his pace.

If we're going to box teams into their own penalty area, it needs the 1-2s and ball inside the fullback that we haven't really seen since Silva left.

Part of the frustration yesterday was a few times Cancelo had the ball at you'd see Haaland make the run between the centre halves only for Laporte to turn and play it square to Ake. It didn't need to even be a great ball over the top, just something through and let Haaland race the defenders and keeper to it. Even if it didn't work the defence would drop deeper and deeper, giving room for our midfiled to play in and to take shots from distance, sorry, I meant for our midfield to pass sidewise and then back to Ederson.
Haaland's runs yesterday just required a simple ball played over into the space in front of him for him to be in one on one with the keeper. He makes the runs regularly and we have been ignoring them. We'll get it right eventually, Kevin puts those balls through on a break, we need our other midfielders and defenders to be more aware of his movement.

I don't believe we need to sacrifice this season at all, that's the thing.

We can win the Prem and Champions League if we can just hang tough and luck also comes our way.

Only have to look at Chelsea against us in Champs League.

It's all still there for us and even with our struggles, no other outstanding team in our league to take proper advantage of it.
Maybe the champions league as that’s a knockout competition and as you rightly point out anything can happen, but will need a lot to change to win the premier league after watching this first half away at Tottenham. Pep always says the best team wins the league and atm arsenal are the best team

Yesterday was a good example for me. Shaw was playing at Centre Back and Malacia at Left back, surely a decent ball to the back post aganst these two you would fance Haaland's chances in the air against them. I can't remember any decent crosses for him to attack.
Haaland is not great in the air either despite his height and arhleticism

Haaland's runs yesterday just required a simple ball played over into the space in front of him for him to be in one on one with the keeper. He makes the runs regularly and we have been ignoring them. We'll get it right eventually, Kevin puts those balls through on a break, we need our other midfielders and defenders to be more aware of his movement.
He's been making them since August, it's nearly half way through the season and the only goal like that I can recall is the one at home where he muscled (pushed) the centre half off it.

Last couple of seasons we were flashing loads of balls across the 6yd box and pumping long balls into the box when we ran out of ideas. Now we just pass it backwards. It's like Pep is taking ideas from Southgate

the problem isnt haaland

the problems are a lack of control in midfield. KDB Foden, Gundo along with Mahrez and Grealish are not giving us the control or the creative drive going forward (besides Kev early on in the season)....add that to the fullback issue....Cancello doesnt give us that control from fullback when cutting inside in the mid third - Zonchenko did ....Walker tries but sometimes his passing is so poor (Hence why Pep values Rico Lewis so much)....

This lack of control, coupled with a downturn in form of all our midfielders at one time or another and some for the majority of the season is the real reason we are struggling....we used to smoother teams...now we are conceeding control of the middle of the park....

The press upfront isnt as good - now that in part can be attributed to Haaland but also the rest of the players playing in that front 3....that certainly contributes to our issues but isnt the main one.

He's been making them since August, it's nearly half way through the season and the only goal like that I can recall is the one at home where he muscled (pushed) the centre half off it.

Last couple of seasons we were flashing loads of balls across the 6yd box and pumping long balls into the box when we ran out of ideas. Now we just pass it backwards. It's like Pep is taking ideas from Southgate
Agreed...how many times did people say something along the lines of...if only we had a number 9 in the middle to finish those chances....now we have we arent creating them

The one where he outmuscled someone also came from a kick out by Ederson i think (I could be wrong) so that wasnt even from the midfiled...
There was the goal he scored against West Ham on the first day ...through ball by Gundo I believe

nah counter attacking is what rashford did. dortmund play one touch fast passing football like brighton. those two are not the same. if you move the ball fast in one touch through the middle you will always find space before the opponent organize themself.
Yep but when they win the ball back..countering if you like

Pep needs someone next to him to tell him a few home truths, I suspect losing Arteta and Lillo has also had an impact.

Borrell is happy to be a part of the furniture after being everything under the sun since Pep came, Maresca is probably just grateful because he fucked off and then we brought him back.

A combination of circumstances are now having a negative impact, but the league is still there for this season and yesterday's injustice could create the siege mentality we need to fuck off the coasting approach.

The World Cup and sheer intensity of the the last couple of years have already been eluded to by Pep.

However, we have to adapt to Haaland, not the other way around. That's what happens when you buy an elite player off the top shelf.

Our football approach has been sussed, just a surprise it took so long.

We need to be more willing to give up more possession to teams by taking more risks, getting the ball into Haaland far quicker and also hitting the spaces. Let us use more his sheer physicality and pace.

Pep isn't going to do that, but that's what it is going to take. Teams are now able to stay in games.

Whereas before we used to get one and then go for the jugular, we now try to manage the game and we get results like yesterday and against Everton.
I am a totally broken record on this subject, and bored of myself. Pep definitely needs a strong number two. I was watching the game today and Arteta had someone right in his face. Not sure who it was, but questioning and discussing the game there and then. Pep said Lillo was so calm even in the darkest moments, but provided great advice. Pep needs a strong number two right now. Just to be able bounce ideas off and get soundings during the game. Pep just seems to have none of that input and support right now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.