Are the Hughes outers justified?

I am quite torn at the moment with what I think about Hughes. When he was appointed I thought that he was a very good choice for our new Manager, however at that time we were a team that would of been happy with mid table, and hoping every now and then to win either the FA Cup or the Carling Cup and really that was about our lot.

Now all of that has changed, and with all the Money comes expectation's. We now are a team that has ambitions to win not only the FA Cup and Carling Cup, but win the Premiership League and challenge in Champions League, and I am not as confident that Hughes has the capibilities to delivery that sort of sucess, but only time will tell.

As I said in my opening section, I am not sure, which leads me to think at the moment we have to give him time to prove himself. I honestly think that this season our realistic target has got to be top 6 and qualification into next seasons 2010/2011 Europa League, which I would expect us to do very well in. In that same season 2010/2011 I would expect us to break into the the top 4 and be in the Champions League the following season.

Good analysis mate, but to answer your question NO THEY ARE NOT JUSTIFIED....This is my opninion and I wont offer any more cliche's.

Shooter 83 said:
If it wasnt for Given?? We should have been 5 up against Wolves before that chance. We had a perfectly good goal ruled out against Pompey and Fulham, we should have had a pen against Wigan and Birmingham... could go on and on. You can't look at like that.

The only problem I have is not playing our best formation 433/451 which suits our squad of players alot better than 442. 4-4-2 is simply not working, and we play awfull boring football playing it.

THAT.

I disagree with them entirely but they are entitled to their opinion.

I do feel though that a number of them have been anti-Hughes since the day he got the job and can't wait for opportunities to slag him off.

ono said:
As a defence to the Hughes outers, I keep hearing the following...

"we're 6th with a game in hand"
"we've only lost once all season"
"we're in the quarter finals of the Carling Cup"
the City of old would have lost (insert games)"

On the surface all seems well but there is also another side to these quotes/cliches. I hope we can use this thread to discover what the majority deem is acceptable when assessing our performnces this season. I'm going to explain why i don't think the above quotes (and again i stress, they are quotes i have seen multiple times on this forum over the last few weeks)are very good yardsticks of how the team is performing and in how the management are performing...

"we're 6th with a game in hand"
We are 6th, but we've won less than half our games, against what you would call poor sides. Infact only Villa, Scum and Arsenal have been opponents most people would be wary of. I'd imagine that even before the takeover, the majority on here would predict a win for us over the likes of Birmingham, Portsmouth, Wolves, Burnley etc. It's also worth baring in mind that games against Wolves, Blackburn and Portsmouth could have quite easily ended up as draws (if it wasn't for Given). You'd also have to say he saved us from defeat against Birmingham. A bad refereeing decision stopped West Ham from equalizing against us at home, and shocking finishing was the only reason Fulham didn't put 4 or 5 past us on our own pitch.

"we've only lost once all season"
We might have only lost once all season, but there is no trophy or reward for not losing games. Draw's don't put many points on the board. Infact 38 draws would probably see you relegated. That's the sort of form we are showing at the moment. 5 games against mediocre opposition (villa aside) and 5 draws. Only Given and lady luck prevented us from losing to Birmingham and Fulham. Hell even Wigan had a goal disallowed.

"we're in the quarter finals of the Carling Cup"
We might also be in the quarter finals of the Carling Cup, but again i point to the opposition. 2 really poor championships sides and the reserve team of a mediocre (this season) Premier League team. We even needed extra time to win that one. I understand we can only beat what's infront of us, but i'd take heart from at least looking comfortable in doing so.

the City of old would have lost... those 5 games"
And the final quote i keep reading is...."The City of old would have lost this game". This is a quote in which i was familar with last season, because it was said on here everytime we drew a game that we should have won, and has been used after every single one of our last 5 draws. Strictly speaking, it's true. The City of old has yo-yo'd between the top 2/3 divisions over the last decade or so. The very best City side of the last decade finished 8th. The problem is, we are not the City of old. We are a team of supposedly very talented and expensive players. We aspire to beat the very beatable sides of the division and when we show no indication of doing so, despite on paper having one of the strongest squads in the league, it does become quite worrying.

Moving away from the above, the thing that worries me is the fact that on the field, we look a mess. We look like an accident waiting to happen at the back. We have nobody who can control the midfield and nobody to drive the game to our opponents. We have pacey flair players who aren't creating many chances. We have an abundance of players who quite clearly don't fit into Hughes' new 4-4-2 formation. We just don't look like a good side. Even when winning.

Now i've not actually made my mind up about Hughes. I like him, he comes across well, he says the right things, he backs the club 100% in the media, he almost tapped up John Terry, he got the best out of Ireland last season, he tries to shut the media up about Robinho. I like the guy. But the above worries me. I feel eventually he probably will become a very good manager, but at the moment i'm worried about our team. I guess time will tell and gelling will help a lot, but in the mean-time, are the Hughes outers justified?
What will last longer, the tenure of Mr Hughes or the scroll wheel on your mouse after reading this thread!

I think a more relevant question would be are the 'Hughes will get it right' mob justified in their constant claims that he will 'eventually serve up a good team'.

Now, before I go on, I actually believe that he will eventually produce a good team. But this isn't due to having faith in his superior managerial skills. It's because I believe its actually very, very difficult not to produce a good team with the amount of money, backing and carte blanche that he has been given.

In fact, given the financial advantage that City have and the willingness that the owners have shown to pass this on to the manager i would go as far as to say that there are not many managers in the league who would fail to produce a decent team and decent football given a year or two.

But, the question that I would like to ask them is whether they actually have faith in Hughes coming good or whether their often stated claim that he will come good is actually just another way of expressing my faith in the money working.

And if their very vocal claim that Hughes is the man are actually based on Hughes the manager and not the money then what is it that he has demonstrated since he has been here that convinces them?

On the pitch!

I constantly hear the laughable 'he talks well' (well, he doesn't really, he can string a sentence together but he's no Shakespeare, doesn't really have much charisma and is prone to speaking absolute guff when his paranoia kicks in and he is subject to ciriticism) and 'he's very professional'.

Well, to be honest, if he is very professional but his professional methods don't translate into being a decent manager on the pitch then I couldn't care less if he is the next 'UK Businessman of the Year'.

Apart from his professionalism being excessively, stupidly, self promoted by himself last season in order to deflate attention from his poor results and deflect it onto people here previously and who he was letting go, I don't see professionalism tht produces an underperforming team being worth very much in the list of desirable managerial qualities.

So, I'm asking about what he has shown them on the pitch - where a football manager earns his reputation and show his ability - that justifies their constant bulling up of him.

Cos from where I sit he has produced 15 months of constantly under par performances, producing teams tht have constantly been less than the sum of their parts and somehow managing to take players who are suited to 'playing football' and, over those 15 months, produced teams that constantly play long play dross (interupted sometimes by the odd decent footballing performances).

So, for all those who believe in Hughes - is it him that you believe in? Or is it the inevitibility of eventually success with the money and the players that that brings?

Cos I just don't see what he has shown on the pitch - where it matters - that justifies anything approaching praise. The ratio of disapointing performances to impressive performances over the past 15 months is woeful and at present that ratio shows no signs of improving.

boring........

Just face facts............Hughes is staying at least until the end of the season whether you, me or anyone else likes it or not.
We can have this debate in the middle of may next year..........lets see how we go ffs

M24 said:
boring........

Just face facts............Hughes is staying at least until the end of the season whether you, me or anyone else likes it or not.
We can have this debate in the middle of may next year..........lets see how we go ffs

I think he'll be here until the end of the season as well, maybe even longer.

But I like these debates. If you find them boring I recommend clicking on a different thread.

squirtyflower said:
do you really mean is ono justified?
Not at all mate. I wouldn't say i'm an avid member of the Hughes out brigade.

I just find the reasons to keep him in, quite questionable.

Apart from what i stated in my OP, the only other reason i can think of, is basically the fact that we've changed managers far too much over recent times.

On the field i've seen very little which suggests we have a tactical genius on our hands. At times it's been quite the opposite.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.