Are we missing a leader??

I think Ireland was becoming the player we need early last season when he was bombing forward and hitting the back of the net on a regular basis. Then a few interruptions and making way for Gareth Barry and he seems to have lost that confidence. We are well placed with defensive mids now surely.... Barry, DeJong, Viera, Kompany and Zab to a lessor degree.... we need some firepower. All our goals seem to be Tevez or Bellamy and while we're scoring a few, we cant make 4th spot relying on those two up front every game. Even Gago was another more defensive middle option.... why cant we get in the market for an Lampard/Giggs type ball distributor? Sh*t even someone like Tim Cahill (yeah I'm an Aussie.....) who can be a threat forward.....?

Even Everton showed what can happen to us when we get harassed in the midfield and it's players like Fellaini and Pienaar that caused us grief. Last night it was Giggs and Scholes.

Confident enough that we have the squad to get that 4th spot but we'll need a lot more if and when we do take on the rest of Europe.

Vieira has all the leadership qualities but is pushing towards retirement age and the World Cup may be his "last stand" so may be a temporary at best. Maybe Kompany long-term?

We need a player, a captain, someone like Roy Keane. Whatever you feel about him as a person, as a player, he was something else. And he was without question an incredible captain. He lifted the team around him, he forced them forward by sheer will at times, and dragged them back into games and was incredibly vocal. I mean his display against Juventus in 99 was just a sum up of him as a player. If we had a captain like him, we'd be on our way. Whatever you think about him as a person or some tackles he made, you can't question his leadership skills on the pitch. And we need someone like that.

This is Vieria's last stop, without question and he was an excellent Arsenal captain, but he was Arsenal, through and through. He's not mr Man City, I doubt he ever will be. You only get to be that player at a club once. You wont hold the same passion again. He was an excellent Arsenal captain, I just don't think he can repeat it here.

Exactly what i was saying after the game last night, we need a midfielder in the Gerrard mould to drive us forward and not just rely on the lone forward or the wide men, a big personality in the game i.e Vieira, but he is only short term, any ideas?

kippaxblue76 said:
Exactly what i was saying after the game last night, we need a midfielder in the Gerrard mould to drive us forward and not just rely on the lone forward or the wide men, a big personality in the game i.e Vieira, but he is only short term, any ideas?

..So..that's a no to Gerrard. I genuinely think it'll have to be a City player. You can't go and buy great captains and play them, I mean, they wont hold that passion that makes them great captains now.
It'll have to be one of the players now. Tevez no, not a forward, and he's poor English, Bellamy..unreliable. Doesn't keep his cool, Given had to take control of him a few times last night, and calm him down. He wouldn't do. I don't know. Captains can't be bought, I know that. It will have to come from the team. But like, that's what the coaches are for. They'll figure it out. Given seems to be VC, happy enough with that, but we really need a captain, preferably in midfield, but a defender would do.

IrishMacca said:
We need a player, a captain, someone like Roy Keane. Whatever you feel about him as a person, as a player, he was something else. And he was without question an incredible captain. He lifted the team around him, he forced them forward by sheer will at times, and dragged them back into games and was incredibly vocal. I mean his display against Juventus in 99 was just a sum up of him as a player. If we had a captain like him, we'd be on our way. Whatever you think about him as a person or some tackles he made, you can't question his leadership skills on the pitch. And we need someone like that.

This is Vieria's last stop, without question and he was an excellent Arsenal captain, but he was Arsenal, through and through. He's not mr Man City, I doubt he ever will be. You only get to be that player at a club once. You wont hold the same passion again. He was an excellent Arsenal captain, I just don't think he can repeat it here.

I agree macca, I can't see where that leader will come from in our current squad.

bluetonium said:
Yes, but hopefully he'll be fit to play against Portsmouth.

Vieira

well said with him or toure on the pitch we would have been stronger because they have played in games like that before and know how to handle it

A leader is something you really can't buy....for the long term. We need someone to step up. Kompany...De Jong. Someone like that. A leader is developed. That's what's going to take a bit of time...but if we play in enough big matches someone will eventually step up and take that role.

i wish we would get away from this playing two defensive midfielders,i dont know of any other team doing this, it means surrendering the middle of the park

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.