Argentina for the cup

Na can't see Argies winning it, Maradonna hasn't got a clue. (They'll still get further than England though)

Spain - Italy/ Germany final for me.

I am South African, but have lived and worked in Germany and the UK (where I became a blue).

I think that some of the teams from Northern Europe might struggle with the conditions.
The World Cup take place in the middle of our winter, with very different conditions in different cities.

Durban is sub-tropical (hot!) and an average winters day is like a sunny hot day in the UK, with high humidity.
Cape Town and Port Elizabeth have mediterranean climates - in winter, mild weather with a good chance of rain and strong wind.

Johannesburg and Pretoria are on the highveld - FREEZING (literally) nights with mild days - no rain, lots of sun.
The pitches are normally brown in winter on the highveld (frost kills off the grass) and are ROCK HARD.
Also JHB and PTA are nearly 2000 metres above sea level - the air is thin and if you are not used to it, your lungs will be burning by the middle of the second half.

The ball also behaves differently in the thin air.

On the Golf course, I hit my drives here at the coast around 220 metres.
In Jozi (no-one calls it Jo'burg here) it the ball goes 260 metres and I think that I am Ernie Els!

Argentina has a similar climate to SA , as do Greece and Spain.

Don't be surprised if the conditions do not result in some unexpected results, and possibly even an unexpected winner.

England and Brazil will have lots of local support.

Any Blue mooners going to any of the games in Port Elizabeth are welcome to pm me to arrange a few beers!

Cape Town is by far the best city to spend time in - lots to do, lots of night life.

robinhood CITY said:
Just backed Argentina to win the world cup at 12s.Put £50 on fancy their chances after they had a bad qualifying group only just getting thru.

I have backed them as well, I think they are a team just coming into form at the right time. Whereas Spain have been at the peak of their form for the last three years and that has to dip soon.
I think the argies are the best value outside bet. Did Zabaleta play?

My main favourites are Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, and England. Its always surprises me when people say Germany are darkhorses. They're record speaks for itself.

eh, our team was AWFUL through the qualifiers and the friendlies up until yesterday. They played well yesterday though.

I think we've got amazing players, we need a proper coach/manager to get the most out of them.

you just wasted your money...
argentina have no chance. their defense is beyond suspect, 1st clinical team they come up against & it's curtains.
messi for barcelona >>>>> messi for argentina.
put your money on Brazil & share the winnings with me @ the end of the WC.

J-Bay Blue said:
I am South African, but have lived and worked in Germany and the UK (where I became a blue).

I think that some of the teams from Northern Europe might struggle with the conditions.
The World Cup take place in the middle of our winter, with very different conditions in different cities.

Durban is sub-tropical (hot!) and an average winters day is like a sunny hot day in the UK, with high humidity.
Cape Town and Port Elizabeth have mediterranean climates - in winter, mild weather with a good chance of rain and strong wind.

Johannesburg and Pretoria are on the highveld - FREEZING (literally) nights with mild days - no rain, lots of sun.
The pitches are normally brown in winter on the highveld (frost kills off the grass) and are ROCK HARD.
Also JHB and PTA are nearly 2000 metres above sea level - the air is thin and if you are not used to it, your lungs will be burning by the middle of the second half.

The ball also behaves differently in the thin air.

On the Golf course, I hit my drives here at the coast around 220 metres.
In Jozi (no-one calls it Jo'burg here) it the ball goes 260 metres and I think that I am Ernie Els!

Argentina has a similar climate to SA , as do Greece and Spain.

Don't be surprised if the conditions do not result in some unexpected results, and possibly even an unexpected winner.

England and Brazil will have lots of local support.

Any Blue mooners going to any of the games in Port Elizabeth are welcome to pm me to arrange a few beers!

Cape Town is by far the best city to spend time in - lots to do, lots of night life.

If Ivory Coast get Hiddink, I reckon they will be real darkhorses (no pun intended). Also, no European team has ever won the WC when its been hosted outside Europe.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.