Arsenal 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with you.

The NPV is a function of the discount rate used.

It's arguable how meaningful any discount rate would be over 250 years but my assumption is as valid or as invalid as yours.

However, if you were to offer me a choice of £2m a year or £50m up front (let alone any figure less than yours of £280m) I know which I'd go for.
Maybe Arsenal should have hired you then, seeing as a finance lease was certainly an option for the Emirates.

What would your NPV be for the first 14 years repayments on our stadium?

Your antipathy to Arsenal is very clear in your comments above however leaving that aside and as someone who was born and bred in Highbury and a season ticket holder at Arsenal for over 30 years, let me correct you on a couple of things.

The amount that Kroenke takes out of the club is relatively modest with pretty much everything else re-invested in the club.

Arsenal give back a huge amount into the community, that may not be as much as City (who got a newly built stadium handed to them unlike Arsenal).

As for the gentrification of Islington, Highbury has always been a very expensive place to live regardless of a relatively few flats built on the old site whose value was maximised to enable the club with a big chunk of bank debt to afford building a new stadium from scratch.

Other than that your one eyed view of the perceived venality of Arsenal is but a strawman held up solely to praise the 'truth' (as you see it) of the virtue of City by comparison.

Congratulations on winning the league by the way. You did it in style and were streets ahead of everyone else. But spare me the unctuous and fawning homilies to City as a morally superior club.

Ok Jack I stand corrected on Kroenke. A lot of the info in my post comes from a Gooner fan I know from my times in London. His view, well before it became fashionable, was that Arsenal fans had been taken for a ride by the club's management for years. I am aware that Arsenal used to be a great community club in the days of Jennings and Brady etc but that this had fallen off in recent years. Certainly I have met Gooners who used to go home and away who have been priced out....just like some City fans.
I fell out big time with your club when Wenger accused us of financial doping. I though this was a cynical PR moved to take pressure off Arsenal's owners. I'm afraid I have no respect at all for Wenger and have been nauseated by the recent media love-in.
I don't believe City are morally superior by the way. We had a corrupt regime at the helm for the 70s and 80s which almost destroyed our club. What concerns me about many new Arsenal fans is their apparent lack of awareness about how their own club is being run. They have been quick to slag off "oil-rich" City when they should be challenging their own owners who have ripped them off Royally.
Meanwhile I certainly don't remember Highbury and Islington being that posh when I used to frequent it in the late 70s and early 80s!

Highbury has been our home for over a 100 years.

It's less than 10 miles as the crow flies from Woolwuch Arsenal whereas the Etihad is what, 4 miles or so from Maine Road?

Not much difference really in the overall scheme of things?

Apples and oranges. We stayed within the city boundary. Arsenal moved to a completely different area and borough, and certainly not within a city boundary. There are two London boroughs between Greenwich and Islington. It would be the equivalent of us moving to Wigan or Derbyshire.

Maybe Arsenal should have hired you then, seeing as a finance lease was certainly an option for the Emirates.

What would your NPV be for the first 14 years repayments on our stadium?

14 years would suggest £28m

However, the best way of looking at is suppose I offer you £16m upfront? Would you retake it instead? I would.

Ok Jack I stand corrected on Kroenke. A lot of the info in my post comes from a Gooner fan I know from my times in London. His view, well before it became fashionable, was that Arsenal fans had been taken for a ride by the club's management for years. I am aware that Arsenal used to be a great community club in the days of Jennings and Brady etc but that this had fallen off in recent years. Certainly I have met Gooners who used to go home and away who have been priced out....just like some City fans.
I fell out big time with your club when Wenger accused us of financial doping. I though this was a cynical PR moved to take pressure off Arsenal's owners. I'm afraid I have no respect at all for Wenger and have been nauseated by the recent media love-in.
I don't believe City are morally superior by the way. We had a corrupt regime at the helm for the 70s and 80s which almost destroyed our club. What concerns me about many new Arsenal fans is their apparent lack of awareness about how their own club is being run. They have been quick to slag off "oil-rich" City when they should be challenging their own owners who have ripped them off Royally.
Meanwhile I certainly don't remember Highbury and Islington being that posh when I used to frequent it in the late 70s and early 80s!

You're right to talk about fans being priced out but I think that's a phenomenon of the Premier League. Season ticket holders are now either diehards with no other interests putting all they gave into their club or are middle class who can afford it. Yes, prices are more expensive at Arsenal and Chelsea in particular but as long as there are people willing to pay it and moreover long waiting lists, then the price will stay high. (I just love the smell of free market economics in the morning!)

As for hating Wenger, I do think that's unfair given what he's contributed to English football. OK, he criticised the financial muscle of the arrivistes like City under Mansour and Chelsea under Abramovich but however misguided or otherwise you see that, surely you can understand the frustration he had that he could no longer reasonably compete for the title, made worse by financial restrictions due to building the new stadium?

I'm no apologist for the Arsenal fan base. Every club has its fair share of arseholes.

I grew up in North London and Highbury (which is nice full of Victorian houses of character) and Canonbury were always nice and expensive unlike other parts of Islington like Finsbury Park and Holloway which were not back then.

Off course now all those areas are close to unaffordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.