Arsenal 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might think like that if I knew I could live 250 years or more importantly predict football then would still be popular, not having been wiped out by other new exciting pastimes or nuclear war.
You don't think lending institutions, investment funds and public bodies think only in terms of your natural lifespan, do you?

As for hating Wenger, I do think that's unfair given what he's contributed to English football. OK, he criticised the financial muscle of the arrivistes like City under Mansour and Chelsea under Abramovich but however misguided or otherwise you see that, surely you can understand the frustration he had that he could no longer reasonably compete for the title, made worse by financial restrictions due to building the new stadium?

I dislike Wenger because he is a hypocrite. He didn't seem to whinge about financial muscle too much when managing Monaco. Or when spending the money Danny Fiszman invested into Arsenal.

He was a good manager though.

You're right to talk about fans being priced out but I think that's a phenomenon of the Premier League. Season ticket holders are now either diehards with no other interests putting all they gave into their club or are middle class who can afford it. Yes, prices are more expensive at Arsenal and Chelsea in particular but as long as there are people willing to pay it and moreover long waiting lists, then the price will stay high. (I just love the smell of free market economics in the morning!)

As for hating Wenger, I do think that's unfair given what he's contributed to English football. OK, he criticised the financial muscle of the arrivistes like City under Mansour and Chelsea under Abramovich but however misguided or otherwise you see that, surely you can understand the frustration he had that he could no longer reasonably compete for the title, made worse by financial restrictions due to building the new stadium?

I'm no apologist for the Arsenal fan base. Every club has its fair share of arseholes.

I grew up in North London and Highbury (which is nice full of Victorian houses of character) and Canonbury were always nice and expensive unlike other parts of Islington like Finsbury Park and Holloway which were not back then.

Off course now all those areas are close to unaffordable.

Agree with your points about the diehard fans. It is much the same at City. I have no issues with matchgoing fans of Arsenal (or anywhere else for that matter) but what really annoys me is the false narrative from new armchair fans (which Wenger helped to fuel) that somehow City somehow haven't earned their success. We have a business model that involves a joint venture for the City of Manchester and the Abu Dhabi group which will generate huge profits.
The club is in partnership with our local universities, schools, and the council. City will build 16000 homes over the next ten years to re-generate East Manchester and the Sheikh has made a huge profit on his initial investment. Yet despite all this we have to endure constant sniping that we are just an "oil club." What City are doing is a fantastic community model which should be adopted by clubs like Arsenal.
There's no reason why Arsenal can't compete for the title if they were better run. Chesea won it last season and Leicester the year before. We will probably finish 37 points ahead of Arsenal this year but we have only taken six points off you. This is why I can't respect Wenger for his excuses (despite being pleased when he first came in and started challenging United)

His legacy has been tainted because of his arrogance. Should have left years ago.
Similar situation to Ferguson (best wishes to him, mind): ultimately the best, most committed leaders plan for succession.

Neither did that as they both have massive egos tied entirely to their control of and contribution to the clubs they were managing, rather than looking to ensure a positive path forward for those clubs.

To be honest, I am not entirely sure, deep down, either one didn’t want these outcomes as proof they were the driving force behind their club’s success.

Pep has never done this with his clubs—Barca and Bayern were both better off after his tenure, with transition plans and vastly improved players, as confirmed by their management teams and their continued success.

Ok Jack I stand corrected on Kroenke. A lot of the info in my post comes from a Gooner fan I know from my times in London. His view, well before it became fashionable, was that Arsenal fans had been taken for a ride by the club's management for years. I am aware that Arsenal used to be a great community club in the days of Jennings and Brady etc but that this had fallen off in recent years. Certainly I have met Gooners who used to go home and away who have been priced out....just like some City fans.
I fell out big time with your club when Wenger accused us of financial doping. I though this was a cynical PR moved to take pressure off Arsenal's owners. I'm afraid I have no respect at all for Wenger and have been nauseated by the recent media love-in.
I don't believe City are morally superior by the way. We had a corrupt regime at the helm for the 70s and 80s which almost destroyed our club. What concerns me about many new Arsenal fans is their apparent lack of awareness about how their own club is being run. They have been quick to slag off "oil-rich" City when they should be challenging their own owners who have ripped them off Royally.
Meanwhile I certainly don't remember Highbury and Islington being that posh when I used to frequent it in the late 70s and early 80s!

You were correct. I've not heard many say a lot of good about Stan Kroenke, be they fans of his teams or the elderly he evicted from their homes.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texas-mans-suicide-note-blames-rams-owner-stan-kroenke/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thebig...s-daniel-snyder-dean-spanos-stan-kroenke/amp/

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-stan-kroenke-premier-league-los-angeles-rams

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hated-man-in-st-louis/?utm_term=.c22439d4952c

Interesting stuff. What annoys me is how little scrutiny the media have carried out into Usmanov or Kroenke. For years the mantra has been that Arsenal are such a classy club unlike the noveau rich foreigners at Chelsea and City.
Equally there is no scrutiny of United's financial structure, not least, because they are based in the Cayman Islands and pay virtually no taxes in the UK. There's a smell of rotten fish about both clubs but don't expect any of the sycophants in the press to investigate them. Morons like Custis are too busy tweeting stuff out from press conferences that fans have already watched live to do any journalism.

591a7c08a2db080e91faef6062be62d1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.