Arsenal Thread - 2023/24

I don't know.

Tuchel crying that it was "deserved" as if it has in any way impacted Bayern.

Not sure if any refs on here can clarify, but don't they have discretion to apply the laws within the 'spirit of the game'? Gabriel likely didn't hear the whistle, and it's an absolutely nothing incident that has zero negative effect on Bayern.

Potentially deciding a Champions League quarter final based on that incident, would be farcical in my eyes. Surely that's exactly where a bit of common sense, and the spirit of the game, should be considered.

You mention 'the spirit of the game' is that the same spirit of players diving, fake head injuries, trying to opponents sent off ?

You say it had no negative effect on BM. You think BM not having a chance to go 3-1 up isn't negative. It would have changed the game.

No common sense use for rags penalty in the fa Cup final.

Surely its better to stick to the rules than everyone knows where they stand.

The spirit of the game went years ago pisscan played a big part in that !

I don't know.

Tuchel crying that it was "deserved" as if it has in any way impacted Bayern.

Not sure if any refs on here can clarify, but don't they have discretion to apply the laws within the 'spirit of the game'? Gabriel likely didn't hear the whistle, and it's an absolutely nothing incident that has zero negative effect on Bayern.

Potentially deciding a Champions League quarter final based on that incident, would be farcical in my eyes. Surely that's exactly where a bit of common sense, and the spirit of the game, should be considered.
Agreed. As I posted in another thread, the whistle is generally not used to restart play from a kick-out, and there is no requirement for the ref to do so. If he does whistle, it’s more often than not a signal to ’get on with it’, or to halt play for whatever reason. To have awarded a penalty in that instance would have made a mockery of the spirit of the game, and probably the laws.

Also, for those who think it’s a penalty, consider the following: the defender is holding the ball in his hands ready to place it for the kick-out; ref blows the whistle to restart the game, but ball is still in defender’s hands. A penalty kick? Preposterous. But if a penalty is awarded for the Raya/Gabriel incident, why not?

I expect IFAB will issue a clarification as to how to proceed in these incidents. The change in laws around defenders been in the penalty area for kick-outs has ultimately led to this. To award a penalty in the circumstances, though, would be a travesty.

You mention 'the spirit of the game' is that the same spirit of players diving, fake head injuries, trying to opponents sent off ?

No common sense use for rags penalty in the fa Cup final.

Surely its better to stick to the rules than everyone knows where they stand.

The spirit of the game went years ago pisscan played a big part in that !
It's literally in the rules. The ref is allowed to make decisions in the 'spirit of the game'.

I'm not a referee, which is why I asked if anyone knew, but as far as I'm concerned it's a nothing incident. It would be an absolute travesty for a penalty for that. I don't care if it's for us, for Arsenal or anyone. Bayern didn't "deserve" a penalty, and if the ref has that discretion, then no penalty is the right decision.

Agreed. As I posted in another thread, the whistle is generally not used to restart play from a kick-out, and there is no requirement for the ref to do so. If he does whistle, it’s more often than not a signal to ’get on with it’, or to halt play for whatever reason. To have awarded a penalty in that instance would have made a mockery of the spirit of the game, and probably the laws.

Also, for those who think it’s a penalty, consider the following: the defender is holding the ball in his hands ready to place it for the kick-out; ref blows the whistle to restart the game, but ball is still in defender’s hands. A penalty kick? Preposterous. But if a penalty is awarded for the Raya/Gabriel incident, why not?

I expect IFAB will issue a clarification as to how to proceed in these incidents. The change in laws around defenders been in the penalty area for kick-outs has ultimately led to this. To award a penalty in the circumstances, though, would be a travesty.
In that example the ball is not in play until it has moved its own circumference

My first reaction was "penalty" too.

But there's another angle to it, that ex-ref Lutz Wagner made for Amazon Prime:

The ref doesn't need to whistle for the goal kick, but he did and he did that into the action of Raya, then another whistle followed. Gabriel might have thought the kick was wrong and took another goal kick.

Match Ref said he was part of the confusion and didn't want to give a penalty for this mess. To that I could agree. Shouldn't happen obviously but did.

Now, what exactly did the ref do? I guess we don't know.
In that case I would say we should leave it here and no penalty twice (for this one and certainly not for Saka the dirty cheat) is a justifiable decision.

I can remember a City Arsenal game at Maine Road decades ago when the Arsenal keeper threw the ball to his full back who caught it.
A penalty to City was awarded.
I'm not remotely invested it in either way. I'm sure there's dozen examples of the ref giving it in both directions over the years, and the player has given the ref a decision to make. I just think if you want refs to have a bit of common sense and football games to be decided on sporting grounds it would be a silly penalty to give. But very, very funny.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.