Arsenal Thread - 2023/24

Anyone else think Arteta is lucky to still be in a job? He was lucky with the FA Cup in his first season as it was with a team he inherited, but he has spent £590m since he has been there, and has nothing to show for it (obviously we still need to do the business on Sunday). Yes, they have improved but £590m for zero trophies. He will certainly be given next year but if he ends up with nothing again, will they continue to throw money at him? His total spend will be likely be £750m by the end of the summer and surely they won't continue doing it unless there is something to show for the investment
I do think they are defo improving a lot, it's safe to say most if not all of that is due to him. But at what point is he a failure? He's being backed, rightly so, but he has to deliver a trophy imo. They were debating this last night on TalkShite, imo he can't settle for a domestic cup now. He has to bring home the league or at the very least get to a final in CL (maybe win Europa?).

I do think they are defo improving a lot, it's safe to say most if not all of that is due to him. But at what point is he a failure? He's being backed, rightly so, but he has to deliver a trophy imo. They were debating this last night on TalkShite, imo he can't settle for a domestic cup now. He has to bring home the league or at the very least get to a final in CL (maybe win Europa?).

He could spend twice the money he is getting now and if he doesn't win anything the media and Arsenal would just blame City.

Arteta (I like him he's done well) is either going to burn himself out or get sacked in the next 2 seasons.

He could spend twice the money he is getting now and if he doesn't win anything the media and Arsenal would just blame City.

Arteta (I like him he's done well) is either going to burn himself out or get sacked in the next 2 seasons.
If Pep stays on for longer, if we can convince him somehow, Arteta will do a Klopp. Maybe even win it once, but the Thanos eventuality of City always catching up to you just drowns you. That's if we don't get relegated to League 1, of course ;)

That home game, City had 73% possession.

City passes - 700, Arsenal passes - 269

(Sky stats)

And he plays Rice AND Jorginho to stop the other team playing, instead of playing to his own team's strengths.

That must've been a huge kick in the nuts for the players and a massive blow to their self-esteem, knowing the manager doesn't trust them to go toe-to-toe with their supposed equals.
Good post, congratulations! You do know, of course, that you are bound to have a hard time explaining that to the masses of their fan base, it's too subtle...

But ... "equals"? Please! I don't expect even the fanatics from AFTV claiming this shit, they know they are not equals. I don't think there is anyone in the Madrid camp who believes they are equals, not one single soul, Anceloti would be the first to admit it...

Parking the bus for 90' / 120' minutes, with 11 players behind the ball, packed in their own third, doesn't make you equals. Playing the entire game so as to protect a clean sheet / narrow lead, and in the process with the objective to reach the penalty lottery (in Real's case), definitely doesn't make you equals. We are talking about a title contender and a club with an "exceptional history" supposedly "owning" the CL, respectively. What we saw was the best approach they could support playing against us...

Anybody can somehow get a result vs this City, it's football (more precisely, it's the modern version of the sport). It won't make you equals though. As I said, you don't need more evidence than the approach chosen itself: Destroying will always be easier than creating. But since 90% of the media people are in the business of undermining you and discrediting your achievements, the narrative will be quite different: Defensive masterclass, European knowhow, winning mentality, and so on...

Given the opportunity, and since I haven't written much for a while, just to be clear: What City missed in both (and other) matches is basically a bit of sharpness. Apparently there are a lot of elements and details, but at this moment I want to emphasize on that. We needed a bit more. Sharpness. But we could not possibly have it. We've been facing fresher, or way fresher opponents, for four consecutive seasons, FOUR, what we have achieved is inconceivable under the circumstances. I'll say it again, it hasn't happened before, it won't happen again. This combination of tactical brilliance AND sacrifice is unique, the football community has never witnessed anything like this before. I can name dozens of teams and individuals that went beyond their limits for like half a season, one season, perhaps maybe one and a half or two (which is rare). But four in a row? Never. For example, there are people in that team who assumed a variety of responsibilities for such a long time: They needed to create. They needed to score. They also needed to defend. And so on. Again and again and again and again and again. What I'm trying to say, they were asked to run like hell. Eventually nature will get you, it's inevitable. But it's extraordinary that it's been viable for so long...

You see, the Madrids and Liverpools of this world never faced such problems. World class Benzema scores a half chance and, guess what, Madrid can comfortably defend then (especially as they afford good / effective defensive resources), saving energy and playing in counter attacking mode. I remember two years ago, in the beginning of spring, Klopps's team was enjoying the three leading goal scorers in the league. All three. City were operating without a striker, yet not only did they win the PL, but outscored Liverpool, it's incredible. But the mind who designed that winning strategy, combined with the education provided, the work rate and commitment from the players involved, are literally out of this world. When a guy like Klopp, a narcissist with such a big ego, easily concedes that Pep is the "best in the business", as well as "the most influential", it's not because he's being kind and polite (because he's not). He means it. As a professional, he has literally suffered the consequences of his colleague's brilliance. Take Pep out of the equation and... And what exactly? Am I clear enough or do I have to spell it out? Frightening, isn't it? It would be unbearable, would it not? I mean, I can imagine people leaving England for good...

Erling's arrival? Apparently it helped. When he was fit, of course... But did it solve the problem for good? You have to be kidding. 9,5 times out of 10, City are going to face defensive strategies, low blocks etc. Which means you need offensive contribution from all 11. Which means you need creativity and goals from all 11. Apparently combined with defensive stability, yes. The balance is tricky. Otherwise the "usual suspects" will keep multitasking, running like hell, providing all kinds of solutions. Again. When they are healthy, of course. Because when they are out for 5 months, they simply cannot. And then the "usual suspects" will have to run even more, so as to cover their absence...

A bit off topic, I know. But there is more. And they have to be discussed...

Last edited:
isnt it strange how the media attacked Pep that he has so strong squad he keeps the likes of Jesus and Zinchenko on the bench who would deserve to play as starter at most PL clubs.

now Arteta is benching them for weeks and this is no longer an issue that Havertz and Tomiyasu picked over them. its ok to bench Ramsdale, Jesus, Zinchenko.

us doing it Ortega, Jesus, Zinchenko not that fair in return or look what players Pep benching...

funny stuff.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.