Artificial Intelligence

Time is the big problem, something BlueHammer isn't really getting. All those things he mentioned, they start off and take years to become an issue because they work on human or geological timescales. Computers function at the speed of light (ish). One of the key tenets of AGI is that it will self learn, it will find the most efficient way for it to get to the number 1 (i.e. complete its task). Humans go to school for decades to learn what this thing would learn in around a nanosecond. And every time it learns, it becomes more efficient at learning.

The second thing to think about that I try to stress is the computer. This is Colossus.

1920px-Colossus.jpg

80 years ago, it was the world's most powerful computer. It wasn't what we refer to as "Turing complete" either, it wasn't a generalised computer, it was a computer that had one specific task that it tried to do. It took up a room, was a top secret Government project and in terms of computing power, could if stretched, very possibly run a single icon on your desktop. Though not the operating system or desktop itself. Just the icon. Maybe.

Today I'm typing on something that is very literally over a million times more power than that. Think of iPhones, think of VR headsets, think of those hologram machines and robotics and all that. We have gotten from Colossus to that in 80 years of progress. There are now computer chips so powerful and so small that we implant them in a human brain.

What you're seeing with AI at the moment is that we're in the Colossus era. It's a fun distraction, it can do one thing well and better than humans can, but it's a bit limited and you need different Colossi for different tasks. I'm not asking you to judge AI where it is now, I'm asking you to think about what AI will look like in the VR headset era of its development.

The generalisation of AI is going to be the world's most dangerous ever invention, far more dangerous than any nuclear weapon or biologiocal threat. And in my experience, I think we've got neither the understanding, the foresight or the patience to safely control it. There's always some idiot who wants to rush or skip a step or is not as smart as they think they are and, as I say, it only takes one ever.

Our current “AI” is going to be akin to the Industrial Revolution in terms of upheaval. It will be big but what we have now is just not AI, it’s not even remotely close to it. This will be lots of automation of tasks.

It’s akin to being scared of a database lookup at this point as that’s pretty much all “AI” we have now is. It’s just a very very large database with probability applied logic for responses from it.

There is no intelligence in any of it.

Our current “AI” is going to be akin to the Industrial Revolution in terms of upheaval. It will be big but what we have now is just not AI it’s not even remotely close to it.

It’s akin to being scared of a database lookup at this point as that’s pretty much all “AI” we have now is. It’s just a very very large database with probability applied logic for responses from it.

This is really not how current AI works.

This is really not how current AI works.

It really really is. I’m not only studying it, I’m currently working on it in a day to day basis. Chat bots with LLM’s and natural language processing etc. 99.99% of what is known as “AI” isn’t intelligent at all.

Even neural networks are just a set of rules you pass over millions of times trying to get to a result the best way possible. Again not intelligent. Just path finding in the highest view really.

There maybe some working on trying to create intelligence but we are a million miles from it.

Last edited:
It really really is. I’m not only studying it, I’m currently working on it in a day to day basis. Chat bots with LLM’s and natural language processing etc. 99.99% of what is known as “AI” isn’t intelligent at all.

Even neural networks are just a set of rules you pass over millions of times trying to get to a result the best way possible. Again not intelligent.

There maybe some working on trying to create intelligence but we are a million miles from it.
You need to study harder then

Once it learns we are the threat to the planet and nothing else, very similar to the T2 story.
To do that it has to value existence not only of itself but also of others. I don't think AI is anywhere close to that level, yet. As all information fed to AI is from a human perspective, it's difficult for me to see a morality developing that is not extremely influenced by that and be very "pro human".

It should also, by that time, be able realise that we are the only species with which it can interact on any meaingful level, and the only species that can act in the physical world with any level of technical competence.

At the end of the day AI runs on electricity and it is nowhere near becoming autonomous enough to build and run power plants.

To do that it has to value existence not only of itself but also of others. I don't think AI is anywhere close to that level, yet. As all information fed to AI is from a human perspective, it's difficult for me to see a morality developing that is not extremely influenced by that and be very "pro human".

It should also, by that time, be able realise that we are the only species with which it can interact on any meaingful level, and the only species that can act in the physical world with any level of technical competence.

At the end of the day AI runs on electricity and it is nowhere near becoming autonomous enough to build and run power plants.
It might work out how to take out what it needs to stop humans fucking things up, once things become automated to the extent the AI is doing it then I’m sure it will figure out quite quickly what to do, as Damocles said AI learns at an unbelievable rate, what takes us years will take it seconds.

Even neural networks are just a set of rules you pass over millions of times trying to get to a result the best way possible. Again not intelligent. Just path finding in the highest view really.

But what you're describing is what intelligence is. You seem to be mixing up generalised intelligence and intelligence.

And what would you suggest then?
well actually learn what NN are for starters. They are not simple rules, if they were then you'd be able to 100% know exactly what it's going to do. The fact is you can't. Anyone can write one of these things but having deep understanding of the mathematical concepts involved is the only way of attempting to understand them. I write the word attempting as that is all you'll be doing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.