As a club - what have we done so wrong?

Remember the class clown at school?

The fat lad who sat at the back of the classroom, dicking about. Most people got on with him and he was harmless enough.

Well, since his Mam won the lottery, his personal trainer managed to get rid of his gut, and the beauty treatments at the spa have really sorted his skin out, not to mention his new barnet and mediterranian glow. He now turns upto school on a harley davidson, with the best looking, biggest breasted girl in the school on his arm. Private tuition has boosted his grades, and he's now on course for straight A's. He's also been made captain if the school football team, and won the lead role in the school play.

It's fair to say that most of the school would now hate him.

As it happens as City fans you're very well placed to answer the questions yourselves and in an honest manner.

What were you thinking and saying when Chelsea first started spending under Abramovich and poached SWP.

Two parts, first what were you saying and second with hindsight what was at the root of your initial thoughts ?

In the answer to those questions you'll have your answer.

zola said:
As it happens as City fans you're very well placed to answer the questions yourselves and in an honest manner.

What were you thinking and saying when Chelsea first started spending under Abramovich and poached SWP.

Two parts, first what were you saying and second with hindsight what was at the root of your initial thoughts ?

In the answer to those questions you'll have your answer.

Haha.

I thought "wow, 21 million. fair enough. big money and we certainly need it. hope the manager gets to spend it though." He didn't.

What City have done "wrong" in the eyes of the world is spend more than they make to close the gap between them and the rest of Europe's footballing elite. This kind of accelerated spending inevitably leads to jealousy, bitterness, and fear amongst our new rivals.

The important thing is that that kind of spending is done. We need only win the league title this season, and by next season the "moneybags" talk will have diminished considerably and the bitterness and anger will be replaced by a begrudging respect in the same way that after Mou had won the title at Chelsea people stopped talking about money...

I remember a lot of Everton supporters on another forum calling City a soulless club, and how they would never want their club to become what we have.

After a few days fapping about potential investment from China and India I posed the question if they would be happy for their club to become "soulless" like ours apparently had.

Only one was man enough to reply, and he admitted that we had the best owners in the league, he would love if Everton got anything similar and that any critical comments made by him about us were borne out of nothing more than jealousy.

That would go for about 99% of our critics IMO.

I'm afraid I just don't see it. Maybe it's my age , maybe it's the circles I move in, but every football fan I talk to who isn't city or united says 'good luck to you, I always liked city, I hope you knock utd off their perch, you lucky git'. You get a bit more stick at opposition grounds but that's just the pantomime of football and what happens when you're a good team.

Every club buys players. I don't know of any club that has a squad of predominantly lads from their own academy. I'd have a guess that about 75% of every single club's squads are players they have bought, or at least signed (could have been a free). The more money you have the more money you are forced to spend. If you have a lot of money like the top Prem clubs you will be forced to pay overinflated prices for players worth half as much (Lescott, Milner, Adebayor, Santa Cruz..... Downing, Henderson, Carrol... - slash their transfer fees in half and you'd get what they are worth, but because City and Liverpool have new money they were inflated greatly).

Every club wants to win the league title (whether it be just the league they are in or to climb the levels and win the Prem). To do that you have to invest. Investment needs to be put in in the short term in your first team squad and long term into a youth development programme. Depending on what your aim is you need to spend a lot of money.

There is no such thing as a place for a club. Liverpool FC do not deserve to be a top club just because they have a history of winning trophies. LFC are just one club. Middlesbrough, Britol Rovers, Stalybridge Celtic are just individual clubs like Liverpool are. Liverpool are no more special than any of them.
City have every right in the world to invest and try and be as successful as they can be. Just because we have only won 10 major trophies in our time and have been down to the third division that doesn't mean we don't have the right to push everyone else out of the way and get to the top and try and stay there. Good luck to Crawly Town, Malaga, PSG and any other clubs in the same boat. Real Madrid, Barca, Lyon, Marseille don't have any right to remai at the top just because they are a name to the media - fuck em!

In the business world to grow as a company you have to do what City have done. Football is no longer an entertainment escape for working class people in a local area on a Saturday afternoon; it is a business.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.