Assessment of our business this summer | Poll Added

Go on then, rate our transfer business out of 10?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Went for a 6 but on the basis that a 5 is par and using the full 1-10 scale and not the new general perception that anything less than a 7 means shit. We did what we needed to but could have done more.

I will add that there's potential for it to jump up quite a bit. Based on potential and bringing the average age of the squad down it could easily go up another 2/3 looking back in 12 months but I'm looking at it as what we've got to work with for this season.

Gvardiol replacing Laporte is no downgrade in the here and now, I'll hold off calling it an upgrade after 3 games but I believe it won't be long at all before we consider him an upgrade. he will be immense for us and he's got a decade in him. Identified the best available player for that position and got him. Top top quality signing.

Laporte fee however you dress it up was abysmal on our part especially when you look at what Saudi's are paying for others. we should have been looking for around double what we got in this market.

Kovacic I'm a huge fan of, I've talked about him being the ideal replacement for the irreplaceable Bernardo for a few years now if he left us without ever thinking we would actually get him so to get him in and keep Bernardo and pay £25 million for him is phenomenal business. Losing gundo was always going to be a huge blow to take, he was unique in that he could perform 2/3 roles for us to an elite level, there's no replacing him, we were always going to be weaker without him but I believe we've signed the best possible fit for us in kovacic. Great signing but unavoidably weaker for the loss of gundo.

Doku I'm very excited to finally see some pure pace back in the side, I'm of the opinion we've really missed it since we got rid of sterling, despite winning the lot without it and signing anybody pacy was going to add a hell of a lot to our side. Doku himself is very raw, don't think he's quite at our level just yet, I'm anticipating a mixture of excitement and frustration from him at first but he certainly could be elite. I think he was on the tier below where youd expect the champions of europe to be shopping but I expect pep to develop him and he will be a big hit for us in time.

Completely different to mahrez, can't say he's better than mahrezas his replacement right now so have to look at it as a downgrade for now but he's got a decade on Mahrez to change that and believe he will. Other transfer fees may suggest we let mahrez go a little cheaply too in the end but given his age you have to say we got a decent fee for him.

Nunes. We definitely needed an extra body in midfield, we have done for a few seasons now so its good to finally bolster that area. Didn't set the world alight at wolves which dampens excitement but I trust pep and txiki's plan, I can see the talent there, and trust he will be a big hit eventually, might need some bedding in time though.

For the departures we didn't replace;

Letting cancelo go out on loan again with no obligation to buy is piss poor, he was widely considered the best fullback on the planet 12 months ago, a £60 million fullback that we made better, seems mental we can't get rid. All we've done here is done barca a favour for nothing and kicked the can down the road, we are going to have the same issue with wanting to get rid of him next summer only he's then a year older and worth less. Poorly handled and should have been dealt with this window.

Not replacing him is a mistake in my eyes too. We've got 7 defenders in the squad, I refuse to include gomez as a defender, it's pretty clear he won't play any significant minutes for us in defence this season. Last season we went into the season after buying akanji on deadline day as our 8th option because we felt we were short yet we are going in a man lighter this time and one is Rico lewis who I still think needs time to grow into an adult before he's truly ready to play every week. We are the standard injuries to stones and ake away from being down to the bare bones defensively. Maybe we sign this argentinan we are linked with for January to rectify that, if not, I think we will
be forced to do something in January.

Palmer, just a weird transfer for everybody. I'd argue we could have squeezed more money for him if there's no sell on clause when you look at what Newcastle paid for Gordon last january for example and see what Brennan Johnson has just gone for. From Palmers view it's odd as I actually thinking he was higher in the pecking order here than he will be at chelsea, keeping him or loaning him out would have been ideal as I believe he could have been a regular for us but he wanted out and we banked £40 million pure profit so can't grumble. I expect him to be a very good player, possibly the best one we've let go but we'll move on just fine.

Other academy players we've sold, got decent money for them all, trafford is the only one I see having the quality to play for us regularly but obviously being a keeper he's not going to so made sense for us to sell. Banking nearly £50 million for Trafford, Borges and Charles is good business.

Mcatee had to go out on loan, isn't ready for us, playing regularly in the premier league even if it's at a side we expect to be relegated will be good for him and us.

Players still here that shouldn't be;
Phillips, I've never knocked him, I'm of the opinion he hasn't had the chance to fail here yet but it's clear there's no trust in him from Pep so there's no point being here if he isn't going to be trusted, his role as understudy to rodri is important, we need somebody pep trusts to before we burn put rodri, if phillips isn't that player we needed to ship him out and replace him.

Gomez, just isn't at our level. Seems we abandoned the idea of him ever being a left back for us, he's clearly a winger, but hes not getting minutes there either. maybe he plays a few carabao cup games and a couple of dead rubber champions league games if the groups goes to plan but can't help think we should have loaned him out.

In summary, happy with the signings we did make even though half of them probably weren't our top picks. don't think we've currently got a stronger squad than we had 3 months ago if you're judging on it right now but the potential we've added and the age reduction is key and sets us up nicely for the next 5 years in some key areas. Can't fault the signings we made.
Players we shipped out though i don't think we've got their true market value overall and I don't think we've signed enough replacements.

Business we did was good, could have done more and should have sold better.
I think that’s a very measured and reasonable analysis which mirrors many of my thoughts

We Look really solid but we’ve lost a lot of goals that we havent replaced. Be interesting who steps up. Looks like Rodri and Alvarez so far (obvious haaland aside). Foden should start chipping in and lets what Doku offers.

I remember Arsene Wenger years ago talking about how City are starting to dominate the transfer market and I think we are seeing that now. We have such a stranglehold of talent that we are now dictating what we pay and what we charge, whether the likes of Chelsea and United are paying way over the top and then having to make do with what they are offered when offloading and I think there can be no doubt who has the best squad of the three.

As long as Pep stays and our legal team keep the attempts by the establishment to smash us at the door this power our club yields will grow; it reminds me of the position the rags found themselves in between the treble of ‘99 and the Abramovich takeover of ‘03. You will notice that was only 4 years of Fergie’s years at the helm and I think that is a lesson to be learnt from history, that is that as supporters we must make the most of this golden period because it will be briefer than many think.

Last edited:
Cancelo is gone
Cancelo is not gone..... There is not even the option to buy so this time next year we will be going through this whole process.
With regards depth I agree with you we aren't very deep, but depth is only a thing if the manager trusts the player to play, for some reason... and Pep sees the guy every day he really doesn't fancy Phillips and that's not a dig at Pep, maybe he will turn things around personally, but right now I don't see Pep turning to him when he needs a player off the bench, let alone starting.

I would've gone with a 6 mate but losing Gundo (and his goals) I am very unhappy with. Also Mahrez goals.
On paper the 3 new midfield guys don't score much. We shall see how things turn out I suppose.
Also Laporte way way too cheap..
Gundogan and Mahrez were both in their 30s and coming towards the end of heir careers. Couldn't have got more for Laporte if nobody was willing to pay it.

Has to be a solid 9, four great signings by the looks of it, whether they turn out to be time will tell.
Still concerned that we've left ourselves short of attacking options though, any injury to a wide player or Haaland or both and we're looking very thin

Not overly impressed with that window at all.

We’ve lost some great players and really feel the jury is out on the players we’ve brought in. Only time will tell.

Bernardo staying and Garvidol incoming the highlights of the window.

With the window closed, my only concern relates to Phillips and Gomez and whether they can be reintegrated into the ‘new’ squad. Will be interesting to see if either features for us before the end of this month.

People complaining how we've handled the Cancelo situation, I'm not sure what we could have done differently considering the player wouldn't cooperate.

We couldn't force him to take the Saudi offer, much as we probably would have liked to, and obviously we didn't want to sell him to a PL rival (Arsenal). The player was insistent on Barca and we wanted him out of the club by the end of the window.

Our absolute requirement to see him gone meant we had no leverage, so we had to go with the piss-poor offer from Barca to make sure the player wasn't hanging around our dressing room like a bad smell. The poor outcome for City is down to the attitude of the player, not for the first time.

8/10.

Happy with the four signings. Good players and at a good age. 3 younger signings, and 1 in his prime.
Bernardo and Walker staying, and only lost 2 of our over 30's. To lose more than that would have been too much.
Happy with the fees that we got from our sales.

Only negatives was missing out on Bellingham and only being able to loan Cancelo again.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.