Athletic Bilbao

uwerosler28

Just watching there game on sky and it is remarkable that in this day and age a team is run by the rule that you can only play for them if you were born a basque, now would you feel more of a connection to city if all team's applied this rule and when we went to watch the blues we were all cheering on a 11 of manchester lads, and when we played liverpool we were against a team of true scousers etc?

Yeah they're one of the teams i look out for, purely because of what they manage to achieve with such a restrictive policy, you can only respect it really, always hope they do well.

I'm nearly sure they have watered down their "Basque only" policy and now allow players with a "Basque bloodline".

I'm open to correction.

What an absolute cracker of a game this is.

1 Bilbao player sent off , 1 Bilbao sub sent off ....numerous yellow cards on both sides , great football and fantastic goals...still 25 mins to go

0-1 Robben (Supergoal)
0-2 Heinze
1-2 Heize (Own goal)
2-2 Llorente
2-3 Huntelaar
2-4 Huntelaar (Supergoal)

Link to game : <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/567370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/567370</a>

watching huntelaar i can see why sammaras looked good in the herenveen team he creates so much space we signed the wrog guy, just like we got done with love and jo

Huntelaar is a top finisher and i still think Real dropped a bollock not including him in their champs leauge team

uwerosler28 said:
watching huntelaar i can see why sammaras looked good in the herenveen team he creates so much space we signed the wrog guy, just like we got done with love and jo

Samaras was crap in Heerenveen.

Huntelaar actually left a week later than Samaras for the same transfer fee !

I think Huntelaar has now scored 6 goals in 10 games or something. And he hasnt even started them all. Big mistake by Ramos picking Diarra over Huntelaar in the chumps squad. Raul looked way past it up front against Liverpool. He's playing much better now in attacking midfield.

Irish_Blue said:
I'm nearly sure they have watered down their "Basque only" policy and now allow players with a "Basque bloodline".

I'm open to correction.

Yes you're right, they have tweaked the policy in recent years and include having Basque parents as a reason to play. They even count areas such as La Rioja and Cantabria as the Basque Country, when in reality these areas are definitely 'Spain'. Nevertheless it is still a remarkable achievement that they continue to survive in La Liga from such a limited pool of players.

I would love to go to a game in San Mames before they move to their new stadium. The atmosphere seems fantastic, especially of course when Real Madrid are in town!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.