Athletic Bilbao

They´ve made the cup final that´s why they´re happy - they are hoping to keep up their reputation as "cup kings" in Spain - 20 odd time winners - we´d be happy with a semi-final of ANY cup!!!!

withingtonmcfc said:
Irish_Blue said:
I'm nearly sure they have watered down their "Basque only" policy and now allow players with a "Basque bloodline".

I'm open to correction.

Yes you're right, they have tweaked the policy in recent years and include having Basque parents as a reason to play. They even count areas such as La Rioja and Cantabria as the Basque Country, when in reality these areas are definitely 'Spain'. Nevertheless it is still a remarkable achievement that they continue to survive in La Liga from such a limited pool of players.

I would love to go to a game in San Mames before they move to their new stadium. The atmosphere seems fantastic, especially of course when Real Madrid are in town!

Me and my missus went to the last game two years ago when Bilbao, who have never been relegated , needed to beat Levante to stay up...we had no chance of tickets but the atmo around the ground was awesome...The peple are incredibly passionate about their identity and in the bar where we were which was a god 250 metres fron the ground you could hear the noise

In the semi final the other week against Seville the noise was so intense the players couldn't hear the ref whistle...

Hoping to make it to the Copa final in May against Barca where no doubt the National anthem will go down a storm in the Basque v Catalan clash !!!

I always look for their results and if Hughes is loooking for a big ta, skillfull CF he cold do worse than buy Llorente... top player and hard as nails as well

uwerosler28 said:
Just watching there game on sky and it is remarkable that in this day and age a team is run by the rule that you can only play for them if you were born a basque, now would you feel more of a connection to city if all team's applied this rule and when we went to watch the blues we were all cheering on a 11 of manchester lads, and when we played liverpool we were against a team of true scousers etc?

Hmmm to me it just seems a bit daft to restrict yourselves like that

The Fat el Hombre said:
uwerosler28 said:
Just watching there game on sky and it is remarkable that in this day and age a team is run by the rule that you can only play for them if you were born a basque, now would you feel more of a connection to city if all team's applied this rule and when we went to watch the blues we were all cheering on a 11 of manchester lads, and when we played liverpool we were against a team of true scousers etc?

Hmmm to me it just seems a bit daft to restrict yourselves like that

Some people percieve it as racist ? ...I think the fact that they have (along with Real Madrid and Barca) survived in La Liga without ever being relegated AND are Spains third sucessfull club speaks volume for the Cantara policy...They are the nearest thing to an English club in Spain ...The Basque homeland flag is uncannily like the Union Jack as well...really hope I can get a ticket for the Copa Final....ATHLETIC !!!!!!!!!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.