Atletico (A) - Post-Match Thread

Football was the winner tonight , an awful coach and players who would sink to any level to get a result lost the game , but we were absolute dogshit in the second half , we stopped playing and were extremely lucky that Atletico are just a crap football team, who couldnt finish a good dinner.
Cant understand why we totally changed tactics in the second half and just played long hopeful balls which their defenders gobbled up with ease , Pep didnt appear preturbed about our second 45 minutes so can only presume the team were playing to orders , and it very nearly back fired , we got lucky tonight.
This!! Since when has our keeper punted the ball up the pitch before.... Wtf was that!!!

We just resorted to hopeful long balls! We've never done that under Pep and hardly surprisingly it kept coming back at us.

Proud of the lads for winning but fuck me we made a meal of it! We play possession football ffs!

I thought we were poor over the two legs in an attacking sense.

We barely troubled them with the ball, we had 3 shots on target and created possibly 4 decent chances in 180 minutes.
I'm not so sure what we were supposed to do the way they set up in the first leg. They set out to spoil, I agree with KDB on that. Doubt any other team(Liverpool included, unless they are scoring worldies from outside the box) would have faired much better against two banks of 5s and a team not willing to take any chances coming forward.

Tonight, Atleti weren't set up like that and still we didn't create much and ran out of legs in the second half which is normally where we've ground teams down by pulling them around the pitch with our passing game and start to pick them off. You have to give Atleti credit too, you still have to be good/on your game to even take advantage of a leggy City.

These ties were always going to be like this IMO.

Edit: About their stats this season, it doesn't really always mean much in cup ties. This is a team full of top players that have performed in recent seasons and they are more than capable of putting in solid defensive displays... and they did.

Last edited:
I thought he was a brilliant player but a bit of a liability diving into tackles.

i can’t defend his antics tonight.
I hope Liverpool draw them in the group stages every year

He was awful for us. His performance in the home game against Spurs in 2012 (3-2) was one of the worst centre half performances I have witnessed at City in the last 15 years.

True but we always seem to have trouble breaking down a 10 man wall, and Ath Madrid are the best at that. We got the goal counted

I think Real, while being a superior team, will be easier for us to do what we do well. We could may as well lose all the same
Atlético have got the 10th best defence in Spain this season.

I think if we’d had a bit more conviction we’d have buried those twats, I think they’re an average team. But we played against them like they were their prime defensive masterclass team with Godin at the back from about six years ago.

Simeone commented after the first leg that he was surprised Phil hadn’t started as he expected, and tonight we saw why, he clearly instructed his players to take him out of the game, not much different from the German asshole did with his thugs in Porto, targeting Kevin and Phil from the start to take them out. Just disgraceful. The other Madrid team certainly isn’t made up of saints but they won’t be this nasty. The club needs to work behind the scenes to get the best referee possible

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.