Atletico (A) - Post-Match Thread

Football: the never ending abuse of the word "passion" to disguise tribal thuggery. Cheating and law breaking never sorts men from boys, it reveals the cowardly thug.

You are Walter from 'Walter and the Softies' and I claim my £5.

Two Atletico players lost the plot and everyone screams 'cheating' and 'lawbreaking'.

There was hardly a strong tackle in the game and very few fouls. It was proper full-blooded football and a few tempers frayed.

If you think that was 'thuggery', you've most likely never played in a proper game of football in your life.

Stick to kick abouts in the park, you'll be safe there.

Think the players deserve immense credit for last night, especially given the intensity of the last 8 days. I wouldn't be surprised if Pep & Klopp have something to say about the ridiculous scheduling of the fixtures this week - utter farce to play Sun/Weds/Sat.

It was all grimly predictable from Atletico, from the snide free hit challenge on Foden through to the fracas at the end. The intention was to turn it into a 30-45 minute match and we did exceptionally well to combat it - the new 5 sub rule means teams can completely remodel their attack and tactics.

Questionable refereeing again, was far too lax. Needed the fussy approach you often used to see in CL games, would've kept the temperature down to an extent.

The next few weeks are exciting/terrifying, everyone will need to step up. Nathan Ake the perfect example of squad players being a reliable option.

I wan't really watching the replay, as my ear was glued to my tranny (transistor radio, you pervs), listening to a rather important match taking place in Vienna at the same time.
Then I got pissed.
I didn’t watch it either as I was in the Prater Stadium getting soaked to the skin.

Last edited:
All things considered, the ref, the violent cheating (coached cheating), the head butts, the provocation and the natural ability they unquestionably have, that was the best City performance I've seen in my life - and I've been going since 68!! Franny, Mike Doyle, Mike Summerbee, Dave Watson, Joe Royle, George Heslop, would have downed the bastards on the spot. Since then, Nigel dJ, Gerry Gow and a few others would have done likewise.
Tuart could handle himself.

Clearly no meeting of the minds here. Personally apart from the last 10 mins or so can't really see much wrong with what they tried to do last night. They had a right go particularly 2nd half and used the home support to great effect. Our lads were under the cosh big time and clearly growing in weariness but dug down to the bowels of the earth to grind out a result. Not a game to light up the ages but it turned out to be an epic arm wrestle which our boys can be proud of surviving.
Actually there is a meeting of the minds with you. I completely agree with the rest of your post, just the last 10 mins was an exhibition of thuggery not passion uncontrolled.

Simeone showed why he is one of the best coaches in the world over the two legs against us. He gambled on making 180 minutes of football a 45 minute shootout with him having the home advantage. It very nearly worked as well. I don’t like his style or football but I can appreciate the job he’s doing at Atletico.

What won us the game was our composure and use of the dark arts. Most sides, including us in the past, would have buckled under the pressure. A hostile home crowd, fatigued team and a battling home side throwing the kitchen sink at us. Instead, we turned the tide on them with our shithousery and I’m surprised it got to them if I’m being honest. Phil’s antics at the end were brilliant and really got them pissed off.

Every successful side has that dark side in them. United used to intimidate the ref at every opportunity and would take turns to tactically kick a player out of the game. I remember Reyes and SWP being kicked all over the place against them. This current Liverpool side are well known for exaggerating contact and winning penalties. We seem to be masters at wasting time and annoying the opposition.

I suppose the big difference between Atletico and the other sides is that the dark arts seems to be their go to tactic or plan A, whereas all other sides use it when needed. It also makes it even sweeter when they complain about time wasting.

I don’t actually think the ref had a bad game aside from the last 5 minutes. He missed a blatant yellow card on Felipe’s challenge on Phil but aside from that he let a lot go. What does piss me off, and this is a thing refs do in general, is give out token yellow cards during the brawls to deescalate things. Savic should have been given three yellow cards and a red for his antics at the end alone. Yet he received the same punishment as Ake.

48 years since the AM Celtic debacle. Last night wasn’t as bad as that, but laid bare the dispicable nature of that apology of a football club. While there are weak referees and a totally ineffectual governing body(sorry corrupt), then they and others will continue with the cynical style.

We grew up last night as a club, and I am so. Proud of our performance.
I agree, I think we have finally come of age in European competition giving the wankers back what they dish out and laughing in their faces

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.