Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

Game was much as expected. On the positive side, we barely gave them a sniff - no shot on target. We controlled the game well but didnt think we moved the ball fast enough to the wings to exploit what space there was there and our crosses were not particular dangerous. What a cameo from Phil and I can’t wait to see him take that forward into Sunday. I like that Grealish winds them up and I can see one or more walking next week. Kev, Phil and Ake were stand outside but nobody had a poor game and our retrieval of the ball was really excellent.
very confident we will have enough to go through next week.
To be fair there was no space anywhere in that first half. Very hard to attack two banks of five and defenders who spring out and then get pulled back into shape like they’re on a tightly wound coil!
I thought we played well, keeping the ball moving to get them tired, which they did, as gaps started to appear in the second half.

Can certainly see us getting someone sent off
They’ll be trying their damnedest!

This is where I feel Pep falls down, because he should be talking about it in the media!

For example;

“We are looking forward to playing in such a formidable stadium against the Spanish Champions, and can only hope they don’t continue to target attempting to get our players yellow and red cards.

Atleti have always been a top team, but their reputation for being overly aggressive, seeking to gain advantage by intimidation, and trying to get opposition players sent off isn’t what I think they’d like to be known for.

As we saw in Manchester, they played a very negative game, often playing a 5-5 with zero attackers, and took every opportunity to hold their faces and roll around unnecessarily. Conversly, had Jack Grealish been on the field any longer than he was, he may have been the victim of even harsher treatment! As it was, he was the most fouled player on the field and was only on the field for about 20 minutes!

I look forward to playing a full 90 minutes of actual football, too, as Atleti are masters of wasting time and killing the game. However, now they’re behind, we may actually see them not time-waste from the first minute. Should they get ahead in the tie, though, I think we all know exactly what will happen once again.”

…..and then I woke up!

Nothing but a vile horrible side I just hope you go on and smash the teats to bits now .......... they are clearly gonna target certain players and any official worth anything will be on the look out for it ......... you watch the over the top play acting in the 2nd league

I thought it was a masterful performance by us. It was absolutely imperative that we didn't fall behind and give them something to hang on to. And we never looked remotely like doing so.

Most of their shithousery is when they have the ball, diving, feigning injury after an innocuous tackle, time-wasting before taking free kicks, corners, throw-ins etc. They couldn't do that because they never had the ball. Consequently, the ball was in play for more time in the first half than for two legs against most opposition.

Now Simeone has a problem. The same game plan in the second leg will see them eliminated which means he has to change his tactics. People say he can't or won't but he will have to otherwise they are out. That means they won't be playing to their strengths and we should have more chances.

This is where I feel Pep falls down, because he should be talking about it in the media!

For example;

“We are looking forward to playing in such a formidable stadium against the Spanish Champions, and can only hope they don’t continue to target attempting to get our players yellow and red cards.

Atleti have always been a top team, but their reputation for being overly aggressive, seeking to gain advantage by intimidation, and trying to get opposition players sent off isn’t what I think they’d like to be known for.

As we saw in Manchester, they played a very negative game, often playing a 5-5 with zero attackers, and took every opportunity to hold their faces and roll around unnecessarily. Conversly, had Jack Grealish been on the field any longer than he was, he may have been the victim of even harsher treatment! As it was, he was the most fouled player on the field and was only on the field for about 20 minutes!

I look forward to playing a full 90 minutes of actual football, too, as Atleti are masters of wasting time and killing the game. However, now they’re behind, we may actually see them not time-waste from the first minute. Should they get ahead in the tie, though, I think we all know exactly what will happen once again.”

…..and then I woke up!
He might when it’s time for his press interview.

I thought it was a masterful performance by us. It was absolutely imperative that we didn't fall behind and give them something to hang on to. And we never looked remotely like doing so.

Most of their shithousery is when they have the ball, diving, feigning injury after an innocuous tackle, time-wasting before taking free kicks, corners, throw-ins etc. They couldn't do that because they never had the ball. Consequently, the ball was in play for more time in the first half than for two legs against most opposition.

Now Simeone has a problem. The same game plan in the second leg will see them eliminated which means he has to change his tactics. People say he can't or won't but he will have to otherwise they are out. That means they won't be playing to their strengths and we should have more chances.
If we get a early goal in the second leg it nearly kills them. They're not set up to chase games or ties, they aim to frustrate and get a goal on the break or wear you down and nab one or two late like they did against Liverpool a few seasons back.

Hopefully Foden and Grealish start th second leg, both of them completely unsettled their entire system in the 20 and bit minutes they were on in different ways.

And we get a competent ref. The one this morning was a absolute disgrace

For example;

…..and then I woke up!
If only eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.