Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

They're like the negative teams we play every week, but much better at the defensive stuff. Time wasted all the way through the first half - no time added by the joke ref. Got away with repeated deliberate fouls without being booked until late in the game. And yet one single minor transgression by Eddie and he's booked. Second leg - AM won't play much different - fifteen yards further forward maybe and we have to exploit that small opportunity. Early goal is what we need and need to ignore the sly double finger digs at our players' heads. Their sly antics will be at their worst in the return. But Phil - wow !! For all AM's negativity, their defence is ruthlessly good and at times they had eleven players in their own box. Phil scared the crap out of them. Before that, Raheem worked hard but got nowhere and Riyad didn't get enough of the ball to cause enough of a problem. We had some great opportunities in wide areas but didn't deliver the crosses. However, Phil was majestic. My son said 'Need to get Phil on with instructions to stay wide and commit players'. I think he was more or less right....... I'd love to hear what commentators are saying about Phil in Germany, France, Spain and Italy.
Surely they’d be saying “not as good as Rashford”. Anyway, was a proper old fashioned European tie with the shithousing mixed in with very good defending. But thought we played as you described and then the golden moment from Phil and KDB

Surely they’d be saying “not as good as Rashford”. Anyway, was a proper old fashioned European tie with the shithousing mixed in with very good defending. But thought we played as you described and then the golden moment from Phil and KDB
Watched the match again when I got home - saw antics by AM that were too far away to notice from the East Stand. Indeed, a golden moment courtesy of Kevin and Phil.

Why, when a 6ft Atletico player goes down clutching his face and screaming like a girl after no contact, do commentators say 'He showed his experience there' ? Why don't commentators say 'He showed he's a weedy guy there' or 'He showed his physical weakness there' or 'He showed his weak mentality there' or 'He looks physically frail' or 'He looks seriously unwell' ? To me, this sort of behaviour needs stamping out with bans. Especially unacceptable with what's going on in Ukraine - the sight of players going down as though they're in a war zone is morally sickening.

I know that but for once, the last thing they would expect in the 2nd leg just
Is there going to be an inquistion in the second leg?
In Spain?
Surely not - no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our main threat is Grealish and Foden - our 2 main threats are Grealish, Foden and De Bruy - our three main threats.......

I'll get me coat..................

Is there going to be an inquistion in the second leg?
In Spain?
Surely not - no one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our main threat is Grealish and Foden - our 2 main threats are Grealish, Foden and De Bruy - our three main threats.......

I'll get me coat..................
The Inquisition............... bet a guy called Mel Brooks could make a film on that subject matter. ;-)

Boring tactics from Atletico last night but Simeone knows they can't compete by pushing players further up the pitch.
Next week i expect them to play a similar game first half to try & keep it to 1-0. When they do start to take some risks i'd expect us to pick them off & add more goals.
Let’s hope so.

I can understand what Simeone does - he knows they aren't as good as us so he tries to spoil the game. He gets his players to cheat, sit back and try to pinch the odd goal. I don't like watching those teams one bit, but you know what you'll get with him and he's very good at what he does. I feel sorry for their fans watching that shit every time there's a big game on though.

The tie went to plan - we had the ball, they didn't and we should've won by more than 1-0. I don't see them doing anything much over there and if they try to come at us, we will pick them off.

I do think the game was a big test for when we come up against Real. They can mix it - they will pass it like us, but if they are touched they'll be waving for cards, pretending to have been kicked, pushing our players in the face, pinching elbows etc.

We know that if we want to win the CL we will have to beat the big European teams and their 'ways'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.