Atletico Madrid | Friendly (N) | Post Match Thread

First half was good the intensity and cohesiveness is still there thats great but we still lack creativity especially when Kdb is not playing. We need to sign an established RW now that Mahrez is gone, Bobb, Mcatee and Palmer are not ready.

Foden - Not ready to play central atm, needs an injury free season playing wide.

Grealish - still doesnt do enough in the final third for me.

Gomez/Bobb/Palmer/Mcatee - Keep one in the squad, loan the rest out.

Cancelo - Erratic and careless player, ship him out.

Phillips - move him on and bring back Lavia.
Disagree with most of that particularly Grealish.

Also you have to be crazy to base any decision on a friendly.

It was a tough opponent in hot, humid, conditions. So no panic with the loss, was fairly standard game against Atletico with the first team out. I thought the first 11 missed a bit of creativity, particularly on the right. We do need someone who is another goal threat in midfield to replace the goals from Mahrez and Gundogan. Against top sides we can't afford to drop Rodri at the moment. I don't want to lose Walker, his pace and strength gets us out of trouble so many times. Kovacic has looked good in the previous 2 games but we can't expect goals from him. The replacements in the second half seemed a little lightweight in the challenges and were outrun. Players like Gomez and even Cancelo can't tackle, but are good at putting in balls to the forwards. Rico impressed in previous friendlies but was a bit out muscled in this one. We need a right winger that is a goal threat. Gvardiol should arrive to shore up the defence, but that's not really our weakness. Let's see what happens in the market. This game will have crystallised what kind of players we require with the management team, so it was a useful experience.

Great tempo to this game on the bright side, will have done wonders for the squads fitness. Phil looks really sharp in midfield, Stones & Rodri in the same imperious form.

We really do need some more bodies in the squad though. Phillips just isn't up to snuff and Mahrez needs replacing with real quality. Bernardo cannot leave under any circumstances now.

You know what bud, I reckon those people are simply fans of the English Premier League product rather than City supporters. They just happen to be wearing our shirts as we were the team over there this summer that they were going to watch, and we are the champions of the league after all. Maybe some of them also own other club shirts too.

It looked a bit odd, but it honestly didn’t bother me in that situation.

Of course they are! Can't understand why people on here are even noticing this. They're not City fans in any recognisable sense of the word. They bought a City shirt, they could just as easily have bought an Atléti shirt. They just preferred the colour blue, and bought the shirt to celebrate the fact that a high-level game between two eminent European clubs is taking place in their country, in their capital, because believe it, it's not going to happen again any time soon. They leapt up because a goal had been scored.
That's it. That's the long and the short of it. Really not worth getting wound up about.

You know what bud, I reckon those people are simply fans of the English Premier League product rather than City supporters. They just happen to be wearing our shirts as we were the team over there this summer that they were going to watch, and we are the champions of the league after all. Maybe some of them also own other club shirts too.

It looked a bit odd, but it honestly didn’t bother me in that situation.
When I go to the States if there is a baseball game on I'll go to it and buy a t-shirt from the store. I own 3 or 4 and stop caring about the team the second I leave the ground.

Watched and enjoyed that as a pre season today. Until the big changes was looking good for only our 3rd warm up game And we all know Peps squad doesn’t click into gear typically until late September

Thought Phil looked really decent in the centre and thought McAtee and Gomez showed enough to be good bench players.

Concerns - you can see Cancelo is poison in this squad, his body language on the bench next to KDB was dreadful and when he came on yes he did that great pass for McAtee but he was generally selfish and Bobb didn’t know how to play with him.

Also, sad to say but Kalvin isn’t showing signs of getting anywhere near this first team yet.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.