Autism

citymacc said:
My 4 year old son has just been diagnosed with Autism and to me, it makes him. It's part of his character, love him to bits! Anyway, to throw all my bombs in at once, we're thinking of home-educating him as we really don't think there is a school out there that suits him or could do as good a job as we could do at home. Thoughts?
My ex works with autistic and other special needs as a teaching assistant. If he's autistic then he'll probably have problems relating to other kids and part of her job involves ensuring that the kids she's supervising can manage social interactions in the playground. You just won't be able to do that at home.

As others have said, see what the local schools can offer and speak to other parents who have autistic kids.

citymacc said:
BWTAC said:
We met a couple a few years ago on holiday who had adopted an autistic girl, although she was 5 years older than my daughter, they got on great. They found it hard, yet so rewarding and found that interaction with other children was more of a help than a hindrance.

I think one of the 'generic' traits of autism-spectrum kids is that they are not really emotionally interactive - my son does appear to be different though. He does seem to get something out of cuddles with myself and his Mum and they can really act as calmers/comforters to him.

Fair play mate, I don't personally know that much about it, but it sounds as though further interaction may be worth a shot if the right sort of schooling is available to you.

Have you had any involvement from the National Autistic Society? They do good work with Autism / Asperger's Syndrome and have a plethora of services available. The early diagnosis is the most important step and everything will be easier from there.

I didn't know what Asperger's was when I was diagnosed at 30 and I've not bothered to tell some of the closest people in my life as they're used to me and my quirks. I just wish I'd known earlier and if I ever have my suspicions about someone I meet then I try and talk to them. Tests for Autism should be made as soon as possible and if we help one child then it's a job well done.

citymacc said:
mackenzie said:
Blue2112's wife knows a lot on this subject I believe. Might be worth pm'ing him.
Thanks mate!

No probs; and any child is an individual that brings joy in their own unique way. Good luck whatever you decide.

Not really on topic as such but an excellent book to read regarding autism is 'The reason I jump' this has helped greatly with my son.

Wardie said:
Not really on topic as such but an excellent book to read regarding autism is 'The reason I jump' this has helped greatly with my son.
+1 A highly praised book by many.

Hi.

As a primary teacher for 17 years, I would give State education a try before home schooling. Home schooling is a huge commitment both financially (time off work etc,) and in terms of time.

I don't know where you're based but I have taught a fair few kids with Autism over the years and not in "Posh" areas too.

I have 3 on the books as we speak.

In my experience, especially as he is only 4, you would not believe how supportive his classmates will be- Children really are amazing carers.

Furthermore, as I'm sure you already know, he will have so much to offer his friends.

It goes without saying that his teachers will provide for his pastoral and educational needs but that interaction with his peers will help him make sense of the world.

Ideally, a smaller school (one form entry,) would be an advantage- kids with Autism can sometimes be overwhelmed by large crowds.

Give it a go. If it doesn't work for him you can always change your mind.

All the best.

Forzacitizens said:
You're right they do struggle with interaction. How is his eye contact? As you probably know they struggle with communication and find it hard to make sense of the world around them, so try not to be literal
Eye contact is good with myself and his mum, not particularly good with anyone else.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.