Automobiles

Two Gun Bob

Cars form an integral part of our lives. Back in the day it was the humble horse that dictated transport and status in society.

What could it be that had the ability to create a love affair for what effectively was a tin box on wheels. Can anyone shed light on what makes this lump of metal something more special than just a mode of transportation. It's only primary function to transport from A to B in a modicum of comfort or style.

As we progress through life we look back with fondness to the first car we ever owned. Mine was a Vauxhall viva and if it had been a boat it would have sunk beneath Britannia's wave. It's sills were rotten to the core and any number of dollops of bog failed to rectify it's buoyancy.

Ten year old and an F plate finished in two pack Custard yellow.
The bond was instantanious on our first meet 1979 as I handed over my £180 and drove off into the sunset.
Love at first sight and what adventures laid in store as we spent quality time Sunday's reading our Haynes manual whilst fervently visiting scrap yards of repute in the quest for eternal life.

So what do you really think about cars and what filly do you or did you own and why ?
A good pal of mine called Hargar singe once said

Cars don't say no.
They don't ask us to change.
They make us feel we are in charge.
Driving a car gives the sense of freedom and dominance.
They respond to the slightest of our touch.
They don't mind if we check out other cars
In short, cars are the most alive non living thing ever made.

VAUXHALL VIVA HC (1970-79)

Style: Small family saloon
Built: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire
Price new: £783 to £886.
Available: 4-door and 2-door.Seats: 4Engine: 1159cc, 49bhop 4cylinder linked to 4-speed manual gear-box
Fuel economy: 30mpg to 37mpg
Top speed: 78.3mph
Total sold: 640,000

Features: The classic Viva shape which most people remember.
Available in three trim options – standard, De Luxe and SL.
Two inches wider and 1 inch longer than the previous HB Viva, though mechanically similar.
Shape broadly the same, but very different from the original HA model. Available as 2-door or 4-door saloon,
3-door estate and coupe. Spawned the sporty ‘Firenza’ model. The first HA model in 1964 cost between £527, 7 shillings and 11d, and £566 1 shilling and 3d including tax.

Last edited:
I had a Viva too - comfortably the worst car I ever owned - a 1973 two door model in red, you could unlock it with a penny coin. I paid £100 for it in 1985 as a stop gap after some Openshaw scrotes stole my beloved Black Mk4 Cortina Estate and wrapped it around two parked cars - had two glancing impacts in the Viva in two months and the gave it away after 3 months - the only car I've ever owned which was worth less than the annual insurance premium on it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.