Automobiles

At 46 in the next month(should the driving test gods be favourable) i am about to embark on legal driving for the very first time(i know selfish **** in the past) a very lucky escape some years ago brought me to my senses and would have never driven again.

My Mrs had a failed operation on her knee some time ago that has left her a bit of a raspberry ripple, I have told her to eat plenty of fruit and veg but as yet it hasn't healed.;)

She gets mobility allowance at the advanced rate so been scratching my napper as to the best way forward. Insurance is a fucking nightmare and being quoted about £1800 for 3rd party if i want to go down the own car route.

Is it really such a no brainer to go for a spanking new car all cared for? Do i go back to being a never insured driver again at the end of the lease?

Sorry if it's off theme, but i thought the petrol heads that know would be in here.

If i do go down the mobility front, a 1.6 Nissan Juke has floated my boat :)

Go for the Juke 1.2litre petrol mate - its superceeded the 1.6 petrol. I have one - 115bhp - goes really well. Can't get less worse 40mpg out of mine ( not that I'd want to _ and I have had the climate control on since I bought it AND I drive in - shall we say - a progressive manner. Cruise -DAB radio - ipod compatibility - bluetooth - I've found it to be the dogs bollocks having done nearly 40k miles in 18 months without a hiccup - Acenta Premium is the trim to go for if you can - its about a mid range

I was the exact opposite and couldn't wait to learn to drive. I passed my test at 17, was driving for a living at 22 and passed my HGV at 24. I loved it.
By the time I was in my late 20s I was getting fed up and managed to change jobs. It was still driving HGV's but that was only to get me to and from site.
These days I hate it. Driving for a living sucked all the fun out of it, especially with the congested roads and the tax gathering traffic Taliban.
I still drive but derive not an ounce of pleasure from it. I often think about when I loved nothing more than to get behind the wheel, no matter what the car. I just loved to drive. These days if I could afford a chauffeur I would have one without hesitation.

Its funny - I was the same all I wanted to do was drive and now after 35 years of driving I still love it. always been on the road and done over 900k miles ( totted up recently ) - only ever had 1 x SP30 even though I drive like a nobhead at times. For me all those "baddies" out to get you are what makes it a challenge and fun.

Go for the Juke 1.2litre petrol mate - its superceeded the 1.6 petrol. I have one - 115bhp - goes really well. Can't get less worse 40mpg out of mine ( not that I'd want to _ and I have had the climate control on since I bought it AND I drive in - shall we say - a progressive manner. Cruise -DAB radio - ipod compatibility - bluetooth - I've found it to be the dogs bollocks having done nearly 40k miles in 18 months without a hiccup - Acenta Premium is the trim to go for if you can - its about a mid range

Had a look at a Vauxhall Mokka instead today, Stunning looking. I am in danger of losing sight and going all style over substance, 3 kids and a invalid wife might find it hard to climb into these SUV :).

For practicality i actually like the Idea of getting a Berlingo, i can sleep in that when she kicks me out :)

I haven't driven for about 6 years, but I was tempted to get a car recently. I've just moved to Morocco and they've got loads of French classics for sale here like this:

Peugeot+504+1978.JPG

Having said that, given the way people drive here, I think I'd prefer something with crumple zones and air bags.

Had a look at a Vauxhall Mokka instead today, Stunning looking. I am in danger of losing sight and going all style over substance, 3 kids and a invalid wife might find it hard to climb into these SUV :).

For practicality i actually like the Idea of getting a Berlingo, i can sleep in that when she kicks me out :)

I had a Mokka on loan for a while - dashboard way over complicated for my liking - too many buttons - touch screen is far more up to date. Also a reverse Tardis. Big car surprisingly small inside. I've had 21 cars since I passed my test and this Juke is far and away the best of the last 10 or so, going back to say 1995. I am fond of one or two of the older ones but like has been alluded to elsewhere on here I think some of that is misplaced nostalgia.

My first was a Corsa, had two of them. Had a seat, a megane and a daewoo. Best was the Hyundai. Thing of beauty that was. Had tables on the back seats and could plug my phone in the stereo.

Hillman Avenger was my second car and with a name like that what could possibly go wrong.
Conjuring up horny manliness by the bucketful and sweet baby jesus how I so wanted to fit in with the big boys .

The Hillman was to be my eternal salvation offering street cred and my rightful place in society. It's eternal downfall was never starting without patient encouragement. It's third starter motor from the scrap yard and still it took the proverbial. If you climbed out and rocked it back and forward whilst in gear this had the effect of freeing up it's inhibitions allowing it to roar into life.

Last edited:
MId 1970s my mates dad had the Hillman Hunter and he was forever repairing it. In the 2-3 years he owned it don't think it went more than about a month without it breaking down. Though i admit it seemed pretty quick when he did get it moving. He then replaced it with a Triumph Stag which I don't think he had for even a year as it proved even more unreliable. Having said that my sister's second car was a Triumph Dolamite Sprint which I don't remember ever breaking down went like shit off a shovel. Think she only got rid of it because it ate petrol and she was offered a good deal on a new fiesta.

Anyone know of a website that lists bhp, 0-60, top speed etc of older cars say between 1965 -1980. I had a quick look and can't seem to find one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.