Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

Exeter Blue I am here

Just in the process of renewing a season card and (living in South London) an important part of the consideration is the cost of transport. Had a look at the Avanti website and supersaver tickets seem to have disappeared, with the price of a day return to Manchester more than doubling on the random Saturdays I selected. Anyone know if this is going to be a long term thing or will those cheap tickets be back? £94 returns to Manchester every other week are gonna be a deal breaker, and I’m not sure I can be arsed with the 10 hour return car journey alternative

Last edited:
Just in the process of renewing a season card and (living in South London) an important part of the consideration is the cost of transport. Had a look at the Avanti website and supersaver tickets seem to have disappeared, with the price of a day return to Manchester more than doubling on the random Saturdays I selected. Anyone know if this is going to be a long term thing or will those cheap tickets be back? £94 returns to Manchester every other week are gonna be a deal breaker, and I’m not sure I can be arsed with the 10 hour return car journey alternative
Not having travelled up to Manchester for over a year, I was shocked by the cost of travelling by trains now. To get to Manchester for the Porto flights, it would have been £368.70 return for me and my two sons from Seaford. I went by car in the end, but an 11 hour driving round trip experience has put me off that.
I see Avanti have removed the 20% discount they offered after taking over from Virgin, so have looked into the various railcards available. Two together offering 1/3 off seems the best bet for this next season.
Both pleased and disappointed to see that next April I qualify for a Senior Railcard!

Not having travelled up to Manchester for over a year, I was shocked by the cost of travelling by trains now. To get to Manchester for the Porto flights, it would have been £368.70 return for me and my two sons from Seaford. I went by car in the end, but an 11 hour driving round trip experience has put me off that.
I see Avanti have removed the 20% discount they offered after taking over from Virgin, so have looked into the various railcards available. Two together offering 1/3 off seems the best bet for this next season.
Both pleased and disappointed to see that next April I qualify for a Senior Railcard!

It’s gonna price a few people out of contention that’s for sure. Even the fares on the cheapo West Midlands Railway slow stopper have rocketed. I know I haven’t got £2k a year spare to spend on train fares, and when you’re knocking on a bit that long drive alternative is pretty unappealing

I suspect industry is trying to claw back its losses,of which rail was hit very hard.
Over the past few weeks i have noticed while i am spending more money i havent altered my routine.
The cost of living has definitely risen,and many people haven't had a pay rise (with many losing their income completely).
It does seem things are going to get tougher before they (hopefully,although wont hold my breath) get better.

I suspect industry is trying to claw back its losses,of which rail was hit very hard.
Over the past few weeks i have noticed while i am spending more money i havent altered my routine.
The cost of living has definitely risen,and many people haven't had a pay rise (with many losing their income completely).
It does seem things are going to get tougher before they (hopefully,although wont hold my breath) get better.
Yes, there's no doubt that looking at my budget I'm going to struggle with longer distance aways if advance rail tickets are going to be scarce, even with a senior railcard.

We are all Legacy Fans now remember. It's just a natural evolution. Age limitations eliminates the drive option, shortage of cash scuppers the train option, concern for our own health eliminates the desire, and the non ownership of latest tech eradicates the ability to deal with eTickets.

In short there comes a time to spend what time and cash we have left doing what we truly enjoy. I rather suspect that for many older fans, this costly, time consuming and newly regulated routine around attending a game, that could once be achieved by a 5p bus ride and 80p admission in an experience that took little more than 3 hours total, will soon wear very thin.

Last edited:
I recently retired from Avanti & the situation around the "booking horizon" (i.e. when tickets went on sale) is that at weekends this was very close to travel date. This was because Network Rail was specifying engineering work late, the Government were being indecisive around service specification & therefore the train planners' workload was all increased and last minute. This has probably got worse after me leaving & my vacancy not yet being filled!
I'd have a look on the Avanti website and look for the booking horizon details. Cheap advance tickets are still there but go on sale later!

The cheapest advance tickets are released 12 weeks before the date of travel, no sooner.

I recently retired from Avanti & the situation around the "booking horizon" (i.e. when tickets went on sale) is that at weekends this was very close to travel date. This was because Network Rail was specifying engineering work late, the Government were being indecisive around service specification & therefore the train planners' workload was all increased and last minute. This has probably got worse after me leaving & my vacancy not yet being filled!
I'd have a look on the Avanti website and look for the booking horizon details. Cheap advance tickets are still there but go on sale later!
Congratulations staffsblue on being appointed as the forum rail travel coordinator!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.