Avanti Trains (match day travel from the South East)

Just in the process of renewing a season card and (living in South London) an important part of the consideration is the cost of transport. Had a look at the Avanti website and supersaver tickets seem to have disappeared, with the price of a day return to Manchester more than doubling on the random Saturdays I selected. Anyone know if this is going to be a long term thing or will those cheap tickets be back? £94 returns to Manchester every other week are gonna be a deal breaker, and I’m not sure I can be arsed with the 10 hour return car journey alternative
And having worked in South London i know it is a minimum 10 hours drive mate. A long and arduous experience that seems more, so I don't blame you in njt wanting to drive back n' forth. I admire your enthusiasm to get to a match though because i only live 10 mile from the stadium and I don't get excited about going to home games anymore. Good luck in getting cheap train tickets: )

The cheapest advance tickets are released 12 weeks before the date of travel, no sooner.
They are there but few and far between and difficult to find, only available 2 or 3 weeks in advance. Hopefully it will return to normal after June 21st or it back to coach travel for me. Found just one train with a £29.80 Manchester to Euston return fare.

Avanti now operates with three travel classes, First, Premium Economy and Standard.
When I travelled up for the Everton game the Premium Economy would have been an additional £25 each way. It seemed to be in two of the old First Class carriages. The main difference seems to be you don’t get your bacon roll or drinks that you would get in First Class. But prices for all tickets have rocketed. And we are still at the mercy of power outages, overhead lines or cables being nicked, or other incidents between Watford and Milton Keynes.

We are all Legacy Fans now remember. It's just a natural evolution. Age limitations eliminates the drive option, shortage of cash scuppers the train option, concern for our own health eliminates the desire, and the non ownership of latesr tech eradicates the ability to deal with eTickets.

In short there comes a time to spend what time and cash we have left doing what we truly enjoy. I rather suspect that for many older fans, this costly, time consuming and newly regulated routine around attending a game, that could once be achieved by a 5p bus ride and 80p admission in an experience that took little more than 3 hours total, will soon wear very thin.
Finances are my sole limitation and effect only my away trips - home games won't wear thin any time soon. I haven't driven for 15 years, the new tech isn't a hassle personally and health problems can impact someone at any age. Your recent posts have been relentlessly negative on these issues, I don't really understand why. You don't even know for certain what the "regulated routine" will be for next season, seeing as our glorious leaders haven't yet announced what capacities will be allowed.

Travel from Kent to Cheshire frequently..have you tried London Northwestern ? can ususally get tickets for 9 quid in advance to Crewe..you can then get a train to Picadilly from there as i have done but have the benefit of an overnight stop off at my sisters house..longer I appeciate, and am not sure about trains coming back for late matches.

And having worked in South London i know it is a minimum 10 hours drive mate. A long and arduous experience that seems more, so I don't blame you in njt wanting to drive back n' forth. I admire your enthusiasm to get to a match though because i only live 10 mile from the stadium and I don't get excited about going to home games anymore. Good luck in getting cheap train tickets: )

I’ve had a season ticket on and off for 31 years (and for the last 19 consecutively), but this genuinely looks like the end of the road. I haven’t got the time or money required, and the advent of mobile tickets will effectively put the kybosh on my occasionally offloading my season card to a mate, making the whole exercise a loss leader that I cannot sustain. As I said, I don’t think I’ll be the only one either

Travel from Kent to Cheshire frequently..have you tried London Northwestern ? can ususally get tickets for 9 quid in advance to Crewe..you can then get a train to Picadilly from there as i have done but have the benefit of an overnight stop off at my sisters house..longer I appeciate, and am not sure about trains coming back for late matches.
Yeh, checked. London Midland are now West Midlands Railways and their prices have skyrocketed as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.