AVB: "I refuse to build a team like City...

Damocles said:
The Italians think we're all shit plodders who can't control a ball.

Largely, they're correct aren't they???

sorry from 5 pages back, I can't keep up

(decent post from the chelsea fan on page 9)

Silly comments by a silly man with a silly voice.

For me, we're closer to the Arsenal (when they were good)/ Barca style than we are to Italian football ...and Mourinho's Chelsea for that matter.

Chelsea swapped Ancelotti for this twat? unreal

The fuckin cheeky bastard!!!!!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...boas-i-wont-change-to-avoid-sack-7447394.html

Villas-Boas: I won't change to avoid sack

Chelsea manager accepts his future is uncertain but scoffs at thought of using City's template for success

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has said that, despite Manchester City's successes this season, he has no intention of emulating their football. The embattled young Portuguese, a firm believer in his philosophy of the game, said that Roberto Mancini's approach would be better suited to Serie A.

"I refuse to build a team like City, I don't like the standards of their football,"
Villas-Boas told Portuguese radio station TSF in an interview broadcast last night. "City is a very organised, efficient, well-balanced team. All they want right now is to be champions. There's an exact formula to be successful in Premier League, and that's what City is doing right now: attacking efficiency above all. They are an Italian team, they follow the Italian standards. If I saw them playing in Italy, I would say that's where they actually belong."

With Chelsea in fifth place and close to elimination from the Champions League, Villas-Boas admitted to not knowing whether the club's owner, Roman Abramovich, would dismiss him. At the end of last season Carlo Ancelotti was sacked despite finishing second, and Villas-Boas said the "pattern"might continue.

"We are now in the exact same moment as last year," Villas-Boas said. "It is an exact copy. I think I have felt the confidence from Abramovich. But the pattern of behaviour of the owner has led to a downfall in similar situations or even 'better' situations. What will be the reaction? It will be one of the two: a continuation of the project and full support or just the cultural pattern that has happened before. We don't know."

Despite the worries over his future, Villas-Boas insisted that Chelsea were on the right path: "The cycle of change is a reality and the future is excellent because it is being viewed with Abramovich. I've accepted this challenge because I thought that I could change the players' mentality."

Villas-Boas raised the possibility of a move for Hulk, the Brazilian forward at his former club Porto. "I see room for an explosive player on the wing, someone who is strong in one-on-one situations and Hulk fits that profile," said Villas-Boas. "We have Kalou and Florent Malouda, bothnearing the end of their contracts, while Juan Mata and Daniel Sturridge are the future. As such, there will surely be a place to fill."

I suppose it's all in the translation....................

PS: Mike Wedderburn on SSN: "We were top of the league the last time I looked!" LOL :-)

zoffie said:
I'm a Chelsea supporter. I come in peace.

What you have to remember is that Andre Villas-Boas was with Mourinho at Inter Milan for a while. He has seen Italian football up close & he is now seeing City up close & I completely agree with him.

One thing I do hate is the notion that playing like an Italian team is a negative or it somehow means you don't play good football. That is complete & utter bullshit & I don't believe he meant it that way at all.

Av-B also refuses to deviate from building a team with English style philosophy, the way Tottenham are playing. The same with Brendan Rodgers at Swansea & Guardiola. They are all dogmatic about this one style of play.

I love that Mourinho comes to England & embraces the English style. Initially he came wanting to play a diamond that he employed at Porto, built more for central passing possesion game. He learns the game here more, uses Drogba as the traditional number 9, 2 pacey wingers in Duff & Robben.. Box-to-Box midfielders.

He goes to Italy with Inter, tries to take the 4-3-3 with this, it doesn't work, he adapts to create the Italian way of playing.

Now any one that knows about Italian football knows about the thought put into building their sides. Prima Punta's trequartista's, seconda punta's, regista's, Tuttofare's.

We JUST played Napoli & they were so efficient in attack, they punished us.
What happened when Ac Milan played against Arsenal? Did Milan play boring? No.
Italian football is more about tactical intelligence, demonstrated in this Manchester City side. You have all the different roles you need in a successful side covered.

& when you have the ingredients & you set it out well, then you can achieve tactical efficiency. Boas says that WE need that. We're not functioning in attack well at the moment.

You can see with Napoli they have Hamsik, Cavani & Lavezzi as a front three.
Is it a coincidence? One is a playmaker one is a goalscorer & the other is a 2nd striker?
Kaka, Crespo, Shevchenko.. Totti, Batistuta, Montella, Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldinho..

That's the idea behind having the likes of Silva, Dzeko & Balotelli
Nasri was bought as cover to Silva as an attacking playmaker.. Aguero has become a prima for you etc. etc..

Chelsea have Mata, Torres, Sturridge to try & achieve the same attacking efficiency, but there are some tuning problems.

The big differences Boas is talking of are the principles, for instance Mancini loves a Defensive midfielder, that much is clear from his time at Inter & City, but, it's only to loose the shackles to allow more freedom for his attacking players.

The Italian philosophy is more departmental. Boas likes that Luiz attacks, he plays Bosingwa over the more defensively sound Ivanovic.

Whereas the Italian way is to think intelligently, cut & slice teams & punish them.
He wants to create a team more flamboyant, less cautious.

You look sooo Italian & when you wear that away kit of yours it's incredible, but, I personally much prefer the Italian style to Spanish teams.

Good post mate.
- Cheers.

zoffie said:
I'm a Chelsea supporter. I come in peace.

What you have to remember is that Andre Villas-Boas was with Mourinho at Inter Milan for a while. He has seen Italian football up close & he is now seeing City up close & I completely agree with him.

One thing I do hate is the notion that playing like an Italian team is a negative or it somehow means you don't play good football. That is complete & utter bullshit & I don't believe he meant it that way at all.

Av-B also refuses to deviate from building a team with English style philosophy, the way Tottenham are playing. The same with Brendan Rodgers at Swansea & Guardiola. They are all dogmatic about this one style of play.

I love that Mourinho comes to England & embraces the English style. Initially he came wanting to play a diamond that he employed at Porto, built more for central passing possesion game. He learns the game here more, uses Drogba as the traditional number 9, 2 pacey wingers in Duff & Robben.. Box-to-Box midfielders.

He goes to Italy with Inter, tries to take the 4-3-3 with this, it doesn't work, he adapts to create the Italian way of playing.

Now any one that knows about Italian football knows about the thought put into building their sides. Prima Punta's trequartista's, seconda punta's, regista's, Tuttofare's.

We JUST played Napoli & they were so efficient in attack, they punished us.
What happened when Ac Milan played against Arsenal? Did Milan play boring? No.
Italian football is more about tactical intelligence, demonstrated in this Manchester City side. You have all the different roles you need in a successful side covered.

& when you have the ingredients & you set it out well, then you can achieve tactical efficiency. Boas says that WE need that. We're not functioning in attack well at the moment.

You can see with Napoli they have Hamsik, Cavani & Lavezzi as a front three.
Is it a coincidence? One is a playmaker one is a goalscorer & the other is a 2nd striker?
Kaka, Crespo, Shevchenko.. Totti, Batistuta, Montella, Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldinho..

That's the idea behind having the likes of Silva, Dzeko & Balotelli
Nasri was bought as cover to Silva as an attacking playmaker.. Aguero has become a prima for you etc. etc..

Chelsea have Mata, Torres, Sturridge to try & achieve the same attacking efficiency, but there are some tuning problems.

The big differences Boas is talking of are the principles, for instance Mancini loves a Defensive midfielder, that much is clear from his time at Inter & City, but, it's only to loose the shackles to allow more freedom for his attacking players.

The Italian philosophy is more departmental. Boas likes that Luiz attacks, he plays Bosingwa over the more defensively sound Ivanovic.

Whereas the Italian way is to think intelligently, cut & slice teams & punish them.
He wants to create a team more flamboyant, less cautious.

You look sooo Italian & when you wear that away kit of yours it's incredible, but, I personally much prefer the Italian style to Spanish teams.
Great post.

It's very clear that AVB wasn't disparaging City.

Roman is never going shell out AGAIN the kind of money the Good Sheikh has generously fed into MCFC, so he adopts some kind of moral high ground by suggesting that you would refuse something if it were offered.

It's much the same view I would have if the most voluptuous 23 year-old Swedish masseuse offered her delights at HT. I'd refuse!

The Fat el Hombre said:
... I don't like the standards of their football". "city is an italian team, they follow the italian standards."

This has come from a portugese journalist and is being retweeted by Duncan Castles which possibly carries a bit of weight?

Cheeky arrogant little freak if true

This was qouted on Sky Sports News this morning by Hughes Agent in the media and our Mike said last time i looked we were top of the league.

The amusing thing to me about these comments is that they come after the Bolton game when he played essien as a defensive midfielder and consequently looked like a half decent football team for the first time in months.

The Fat el Hombre said:
... I don't like the standards of their football". "city is an italian team, they follow the italian standards."

This has come from a portugese journalist and is being retweeted by Duncan Castles which possibly carries a bit of weight?

Cheeky arrogant little freak if true

Well, if we apply the same logic on them, then they are a portuguese team with portuguese standards, which leads us to conclusion that they'll be stuffed here with 4 goals in their net. Great, so be it.

Italy have won the World Cup four times. Decent standard to aspire to if you ask me.

His comments other than that first bit about not liking our standards are very complimentary. I suspect there might be a translation issue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.