Away goals in the cold light of day

It’s been in force for so long and has worked for so long so I’m not fussed about it.

(Not having VAR similar. Worked for 130 years without it-why now?)

Not scoring a goal in London last week effectively cost us and Pep and his negative tactics against let’s face it a really average spurs side were a big factor in that.

They are being scrapped.
Yeah and next season we can be sure that if still in place it would benefit us

It’s an absolute nonsense that a goal counts for more than another one It now suits a team to defend and snatch an away goal exactly the opposite what it was brought in to prevent

But then from a neutrals point of view (and yes that is a difficult thing to say today), the away goal rule created the drama of last night. Had a 1 goal advantage for City just taken the game to extra time then it really wouldn't have panned out as it did in terms of both teams going at it in the 2nd half.

Our personal feelings are irrelevant, everyone knows the format before the competition begins and how away goals can impact the result.

With that in mind, why Pep didn't send out the team to push for goals is beyond me. For an attacking team like City, playing the first leg away should be really simple, play your normal game. Rotating the players is one thing, but playing conservatively was so wrong.

Yeah and next season we can be sure that if still in place it would benefit us

It’s an absolute nonsense that a goal counts for more than another one It now suits a team to defend and snatch an away goal exactly the opposite what it was brought in to prevent
Plus if the second leg ever goes to extra time, the team away in the second leg get 30 more minutes than the team away in the first leg to get an away goal.

No issue with it, it was designed with good intentions to encourage teams not to just play for a draw away, works slightly differently now in a more attacking age which is why i think they are scraping it as its no longer necessary but its still fair in that no team benefits more than another. we all knew the rules, it's our fault for not pushing for that away goal. We played 70 minutes of keep ball in the first leg with little intent on scoring and going against our natural game thats what cost us.spurs scored 3 goals away from home, from a neutral point of view you have to say fair play to them they got their reward for not doing a Mourinho.

That’s why i struggle to excepts last weeks result as Europe’s top scoring team playing for a 0-0.

No issue with it, it was designed with good intentions to encourage teams not to just play for a draw away, works slightly differently now in a more attacking age which is why i think they are scraping it as its no longer necessary but its still fair in that no team benefits more than another. we all knew the rules, it's our fault for not pushing for that away goal. We played 70 minutes of keep ball in the first leg with little intent on scoring and going against our natural game thats what cost us.spurs scored 3 goals away from home, from a neutral point of view you have to say fair play to them they got their reward for not doing a Mourinho.
Yes that's the bottom line really we knew the rules and like it or not its the same for both teams. The penalty miss and not putting two of our best attacking players on until 89 minutes goes a long way towards explaining why we are out of the competition. One startling fact in relation to away goals and City is that while we have only scored 1 in the last 3 decisive games in the CL we have managed to concede 8. Proof that we should be glad to see the back of them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.