Back to the 4-2-3-1 - good call

Didsbury Dave said:
EaglesFan said:
Jumanji said:
Balotelli.

Nope. Not strong enough.

Dzeko - not quick enough.

Aguero - not tall enough :-)

all three work much, much better with a strike partner.

Tevez made up for the height with great motor and ball control paired up with wast amounts of selfishness :-)

That's actually a verysensible post. We have no complete lone front man. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd probably call Balotelli as th ebest, but his link play/ball-holding isn't as good as Dzeko's. Aguero's not physical enough for that role for me.

DD stop talking so much SENSE :-)

Jumanji said:
Didsbury Dave said:
WE could have broken very fluently when they had a go at us last night but he stopped it on several occasion.
I've re-watched the match, and I can only recall this happening once.

It wasn't Nasri's fault. Silva under-hit his pass.

He's getting better, think he finds it hard not to be the main playmaker of the team, but he's got a killer pass in him. E.g his ball over to balo which he maybe should have buried

Didsbury Dave said:
EaglesFan said:
Jumanji said:
Balotelli.

Nope. Not strong enough.

Dzeko - not quick enough.

Aguero - not tall enough :-)

all three work much, much better with a strike partner.

Tevez made up for the height with great motor and ball control paired up with wast amounts of selfishness :-)

That's actually a verysensible post. We have no complete lone front man. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I'd probably call Balotelli as th ebest, but his link play/ball-holding isn't as good as Dzeko's. Aguero's not physical enough for that role for me.
NOT STRONG ENOUGH? Fuck me. Sometimes he goes down too easily, and that's because he is trying to win something, but he is certainly strong enough.

Balotelli is an effective lone forward. Played there many a time for Inter, and several times for us as well.

He makes many intelligent runs, more than Kun, and far more than Edin. This is essential for a lone striker. He was offside often today, but that was because the passes came too late.

Quicker passes, and he would have been through on goal so many times yesterday.

Mancini and his staff specifically chose Balo as the lone striker of three options in an important away tie against a top team. That is telling in and of itself.

-------

DD, I'm not convinced about Dzeko's hold up play to be honest. He can't play with with his back to goal without dropping deeper when he receives the ball. Also, Dzeko is pretty bad at one touch link up play, unlike Balotelli who can also keep the ball ticking in fast tempo pass combinations (we've seen this several times this year from him). Although occasionally, I have noticed him pull off some decent 1-2's.

With regards to Dzeko as a lone front man, he blows hot and cold. With his confidence goes his touch, as we can see at the moment. And his hold-up and link play is entirely dependant on that. So when he's on top of his game he's a good "outlet" forward, and I've seen him have some good games doing exactly that. But when it's bouncing off him, as it is a bit at the moment, he's not great as a lone striker.

Rorz88 said:
I know this is slightly off topic but i didnt want to make a new thread........... was the offside given against balotelli in the first half, the worst you've ever seen?? was about 3 yards onside!

What a joke!

Yes. That linesman made a few horrendous decisions.

Didsbury Dave said:
Rorz88 said:
I know this is slightly off topic but i didnt want to make a new thread........... was the offside given against balotelli in the first half, the worst you've ever seen?? was about 3 yards onside!

What a joke!

Yes. That linesman made a few horrendous decisions.

The ref was overly keen to get his yellows out too, Nasri and De Jong deserved theirs but the others were very harsh.

And a very strange decision to give Porto a corner at the end and not let them take it (not that I'm complaining).

Rorz88 said:

What a joke!

I don't think it was given for offside.

On the replay, the linesman didn't put his flag up which led me to believe Balo was punished for an arm/elbow when jumping for the header.

Either way it was the wrong decision.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.