Baclofen for Alcohol addiction

Patientman63

Team supported
Who do you think....?
A football forum may not be the best place for this, but a close family member has a serious issue with alcohol. The guy in question, and the family as a whole, are desperate for help. His life, his career, and his home is rapidly going down the toilet.

Apparently Baclofen when prescribed as a high dose has a remarkable affect in reducing if not completely removing the cravings for alcohol. I have scanned through, but not properly read, a book by Dr Olivier Amiesen on the use of Baclofen, and it does seem impressive.

A long shot I know, but has has anybody out there in Cityland had any first hand dealings, knowledge or advice on this?

Thanks all

More to alcoholism than 'the craving'.

First step if he wants help he needs to see his GP to arrange a residential detox. Librium is usually the drug used to manage the detox and sedate the nervous system whilst detoxing.

Then, he needs therapy of some type to help him address the reason(s) behind his drinking.

PM if you need pointing in the right direction bud.

Stoned Rose said:

First step if he wants help he needs to see his GP to arrange a residential detox. Librium is usually the drug used to manage the detox and sedate the nervous system whilst detoxing.

Then, he needs therapy of some type to help him address the reason(s) behind his drinking.

Good advice.

A heavy drinker will get Librium if admitted to hozzy so the patient can avoid the shakes and the pink elephants etc.

Re: Baclofen for Alcohol addictiohttps://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/n

No GP in England will prescribe this as it has not been sanctioned as a cure for alcoholism by the British medical council. I read about some medical trials, I think in Scotland (might be wrong) where a medical university was looking for volunteers. Here you go,

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Baclofen%20poster2011%20Masson_A0.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/Baclofen% ... son_A0.pdf</a>

Rascal said:
Stoned Rose said:

Good advice.

A heavy drinker will get Librium if admitted to hozzy so the patient can avoid the shakes and the pink elephants etc.

Very nice it is too, but very addictive.

There would be little chance of Librium enjoyment / addiction during an alcohol detox as it's given in continually decreasing dosages over a few days, and only to prevent the 'shakes'.

stony said:
Rascal said:
Stoned Rose said:

Good advice.

Only ever had a short course, 3/4 days so didnt know it was addictive

It was 8,6,4,2 i think a day

Im not sure of the specifics but my girlfriends a gastroenterologist and has used baclofen a lot. I think it helps reduce cravings. Problem with these things is the benefit is only ever really small and the person ultimately has to want to change. Librium or chlordiazepoxide is generally used when alcoholics are admitted to stop withdrawal.

Rascal said:
stony said:
Rascal said:
Good advice.

Only ever had a short course, 3/4 days so didnt know it was addictive

It was 8,6,4,2 i think a day

The reason they reduce the course is because of how addictive it is. If they gave you 8 a day for a week, you'd be crawling the walls when they took it away. It does it's job though and calms you down.

Appreciate the information posted. The University of Glasgow findings were very useful, thanks m7mcfc.

It does seem there is good value in its use in this regard, but there does seem to be a reluctance in the NHS to look any further into this.

And thanks to Stoned Rose for the PM, its very appreciated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.