Bale's La Liga boast

GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:
GHoddle said:
It's not about individual players, it's about teams. Dortmund has how many players that would get into the Real Madrid team? Yet twice in recent memory Dortmund has given Madrid a hammering.
Quite a lot especially when they got to the final. Piszcek, Gundogan, Sven, Reus, Hummels and Lewandowski would all have made the Madrid team in 2013. Gotze would be close. Being a big star does not make you a better player.

That's actually kind of the point I'm making.

Some of the players you listed are debatable, imo Piszcek and Bender wouldn't have gotten into the Madrid team even in 2013. Reus vs Di Maria (or Bale the next year) also debatable. 2014 though they hammered Madrid at home again iirc and they didn't have Hummels and Gundogan in their team at that time did they? My memory of it is fuzzy but pretty sure I'm right.
No, because you were saying it is about the team and not individual players. I just pointed out in 2013 Dortmund had the better players. A star player like Beckham was never better than say Neved, who never had the star power.

Piszcek was one of the best right backs in the world and Madrid had Arbeloa. How in the world is that debatable? Reus is clearly better than Di Maria and Bale. Statistically and based on the eye he has outperformed those two. I forgot to mention Weidenfeller was better than Lopez at the time too. 2013 was the year when they knocked out Madrid and they had the better players. In 2014 due to injuries etc, they had a weaker team and lost. In the game they won they had Hummels and Lewandowski playing and it made a difference as did Ronaldo being injured. Reus then was the best player on either pitch. If anything the two different results show exactly why quality of players is as if not more important than a balanced team.

supercrystal7 said:
GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:
Quite a lot especially when they got to the final. Piszcek, Gundogan, Sven, Reus, Hummels and Lewandowski would all have made the Madrid team in 2013. Gotze would be close. Being a big star does not make you a better player.

Some of the players you listed are debatable, imo Piszcek and Bender wouldn't have gotten into the Madrid team even in 2013. Reus vs Di Maria (or Bale the next year) also debatable. 2014 though they hammered Madrid at home again iirc and they didn't have Hummels and Gundogan in their team at that time did they? My memory of it is fuzzy but pretty sure I'm right.
No, because you were saying it is about the team and not individual players. I just pointed out in 2013 Dortmund had the better players. A star player like Beckham was never better than say Neved, who never had the star power.

Piszcek was one of the best right backs in the world and Madrid had Arbeloa. How in the world is that debatable? Reus is clearly better than Di Maria and Bale. Statistically and based on the eye he has outperformed those two. I forgot to mention Weidenfeller was better than Lopez at the time too. 2013 was the year when they knocked out Madrid and they had the better players. In 2014 due to injuries etc, they had a weaker team and lost. In the game they won they had Hummels and Lewandowski playing and it made a difference as did Ronaldo being injured. Reus then was the best player on either pitch. If anything the two different results show exactly why quality of players is as if not more important than a balanced team.

lol supercrystal it's hard to debate with you because you tend to view your perception of players abilities as the objectively correct one. Reus is clearly better than Di Maria and Bale? There's no way you can say that's CLEARLY true, even if you believe it to be the case. Many people wouldn't agree which is why it is debatable. And in any case Reus plays on the left so you would be comparing him to Ronaldo.

To be honest I forgot that Madrid had Arbeloa at RB in 2013 so I would concede that one. Anyway, to claim that individual players are even close to as important as balanced teams is an absurd argument imo and it's not proven to be the case in football whatsoever. Players often come to be regarded as great players often precisely because of the benefit derived from playing in a balanced team.

GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:
GHoddle said:

lol supercrystal it's hard to debate with you because you tend to view your perception of players abilities as the objectively correct one. Reus is clearly better than Di Maria and Bale? There's no way you can say that's CLEARLY true, even if you believe it to be the case. Many people wouldn't agree which is why it is debatable. And in any case Reus plays on the left so you would be comparing him to Ronaldo.

To be honest I forgot that Madrid had Arbeloa at RB in 2013 so I would concede that one. Anyway, to claim that individual players are even close to as important as balanced teams is an absurd argument imo and it's not proven to be the case in football whatsoever. Players often come to be regarded as great players often precisely because of the benefit derived from playing in a balanced team.
Amen to that. Ossie's Spurs team with Popescu, Klinnsman and Dumitrescu was proof of that

Pick a 20 man squad, taking one player from each team, and the Premier League wipes the floor with every league on earth.

supercrystal7 said:
GHoddle said:
supercrystal7 said:

Not a chance that Reus is better than Bale and Di Maria.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.