Ballet on ice .

The thing I always remember from that game was the elegance of Neil Young, who glided effortlessly through snow and ice. Some fans thought he was a bit soft but there was a crunching tackle on him that day from Dave Mackay that brought him crashing on to the rock-hard pitch. I felt for him, but he just got up and went on destroying Spurs.

A much underrated player, badly treated by the club in later years. Born & brought up a stone's throw from Maine Rd, too. Was it Heald Place school he went to?

Just wanted to say that today marks the 50th anniversary of my becoming a City fan.

What a privilege to be able to watch that fantastic 4-1 panning of Spurs.
Wonderful.

Can you remember watching it?
Were you lucky enough to be at the game?

When was the game first christened, “The Ballet on Ice”?

I’ve seen references to it on BBC programmes from the mid 80s, but nothing from the actual period, which considering that City were hardly televised that season, seems a bit strange.

50 years that's frightening. I was there with my dad in the kippax . Dont remember too much more than the goals particularly Nellies.
50 years omg.

It was a half paced game ruined by the conditions, but as it was filmed for MoTD it has been hyped up ever since. #walkingfootball

When was the game first christened, “The Ballet on Ice”?

I’ve seen references to it on BBC programmes from the mid 80s, but nothing from the actual period, which considering that City were hardly televised that season, seems a bit strange.
I didn’t realise it was called the Ballet on Ice until many years afterwards.

It’s always stuck in my mind because it was the first game I was allowed to go to with just my mates and not my older brothers and also being in awe of Jimmy Greaves but laughing at his extraordinary long shorts.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.