Balotelli in 5 years

Rascal said:
I have read this thread with interest and i would ask a simple question of my many of the people who have posted. Have you grown up and consider yourself mature?

My own personal experience of "growing up" is probably different to yours but i didnt grow up til in my 30's

Why do you all expect a lad in a foriegn country to be grown up and mature when you are not yourself, how do you understand the pressures of being 22 and being expected to be everything people desire of you. Just because you are paid a huge wage it does not mean you are grown up or mature.

Footballers peak in there late 20s at there best around the age of 29. Thats true of most sports look at Bradley Wiggins finally fulfilling his potential and winning the TDF at 32

Mario is as talented a footballer we probably have ever had at our club, you have all seen glimpses of it, but we have also seen the downsides of a young lad being a lad. The thing that worries me most is that the reactions on here could prove to be destructive to him as i feel he is a lad with fragile self belief and he needs encouragement, not derision.

Where he will be in 5 years, none of us Know, but i look at Didier Drogba who was 28 before he became a great player. I would rather Mario be at City for all his foilibles than be anywhere else.

Most of you are too fucking impatient

impatient

Where do Sergio and Silva fit in this theory?

M19Blu said:
Rascal said:
I have read this thread with interest and i would ask a simple question of my many of the people who have posted. Have you grown up and consider yourself mature?

My own personal experience of "growing up" is probably different to yours but i didnt grow up til in my 30's

Why do you all expect a lad in a foriegn country to be grown up and mature when you are not yourself, how do you understand the pressures of being 22 and being expected to be everything people desire of you. Just because you are paid a huge wage it does not mean you are grown up or mature.

Footballers peak in there late 20s at there best around the age of 29. Thats true of most sports look at Bradley Wiggins finally fulfilling his potential and winning the TDF at 32

Mario is as talented a footballer we probably have ever had at our club, you have all seen glimpses of it, but we have also seen the downsides of a young lad being a lad. The thing that worries me most is that the reactions on here could prove to be destructive to him as i feel he is a lad with fragile self belief and he needs encouragement, not derision.

Where he will be in 5 years, none of us Know, but i look at Didier Drogba who was 28 before he became a great player. I would rather Mario be at City for all his foilibles than be anywhere else.

impatient

Where do Sergio and Silva fit in this theory?

to be honest, i dont think sergio or david have had such a traumatic upbringing coupled with the racial abuse he gets. yes he does my friggin head in but i will give him time.if it doesnt work out then i will not slag him off.he may be classed as a loose canon, but the things he does off the pitch are hardly that bad.

denilson-bolton_1218444c.jpg

http://backpagefootball.com/what-could-have-been-denilson/6326/
Consistency.

It’s not difficult to argue that it’s the backbone of football. The greatest managers in the world swear by it. “Consistency wins things, there’s no question about that.” Not my words, but those of Sir Alex Ferguson. If Fergie isn’t your cup of tea, then how about Arsene Wenger? He claims that “every game is difficult and as soon as you drop your level a little bit, you are in danger“. If you prefer your footballing philosophy to come from those on the continent, then feel free you take your pick from Guus Hiddink (“I think that’s what we need, we need consistency“), Josep Guardiola (“Ensuring concentration and consistency in my team is not only my job; it is my responsibility“) or Carlo Ancelotti (“We were top of the league for eight months because we played with consistency”).

You can trawl through Google’s archives and find the biggest names in football either praising their team’s consistency, or lamenting the lack thereof. Either way, these managers have taken charge of some of the most talented footballers of all time, so one thing is clear: for all the talent in the world a player may have, consistency is equally as important. Case in point? Let’s take a 61 times capped Brazilian World Cup winner who was once the most expensive player in the world. And we still know nothing about him.

Okay, so it doesn’t take a genius to realise the importance of consistency. Take a look at Cristiano Ronaldo and Ricardo Quaresma for a quick-fix example. Both players of (arguably) equal talent, their careers went in opposite directions since they secured their big money transfers from Sporting Lisbon to Manchester United and Barcelona respectively. Speaking of big money transfers, that brings us nicely back to our subject at hand. Denílson de Oliveira Araújo joined Real Betis from Sao Paulo in August 1998 for an inflation-adjusted €34.5 million, becoming the world’s most expensive player at the time.

Before I make the following point, let me categorically deny that I doubt Denílson’s ability. Anybody who had the pleasure of seeing him play on one of his good days knows that he had the chance to go down as one of the greatest of all time. I would not include him in this series if I questioned his talent. But it can be argued that Betis were perhaps counting their chickens before they had hatched, having seen the success of Romario, Bebeto and Ronaldo in La Liga who had previously been heralded for their performances in Brazil.

A record of more than a goal every two games for Sao Paulo, followed by some stellar performances for Brazil in the Copa America, had seen Denílson heralded as destined for great things, but it never quite worked out for him at Betis. Indeed, his debut in the green and white shirt would sum up his eventual seven years at the club. A 0-0 draw with newly-promoted Alaves failed to capture the Verdiblancos faithful’s imagination.

Betis failed to make any improvement upon their previous season, dropping three places to 11th and out of the European qualification spots. Things got catastrophic in Denílson’s second season, with Betis finishing in 18th place and finding themselves relegated to the Segunda Division. Denílson moved to Flamengo on loan the following year, partly in an effort by Betis to reduce their wage bill, and partly because of Denílson’s demand for top tier football before the 2002 World Cup. However, after only 11 appearances, Betis recalled their record signing due to the Brazilian club’s inability to keep up with agreed payments.

Over the next 5 seasons, Betis reclaimed their La Liga status, and consistently won European qualification, culminating in a 4th place finish in Denílson’s final season at the club. However, Denílson himself was no longer a first team regular. He had also helped himself to a World Cup winners medal in 2002, having made a handful of substitute appearances for Brazil in Japan/Korea.

In the summer of 2005, Denílson moved to French club Bordeaux. His arrival coincided with the club’s meteoric rise up the table, climbing from a 15th place finish in 2004/2005 to a runners-up spot to Lyon the following year. Denílson’s form was typically inconsistent during his time in France, and rumours of excessive wage demands saw the Brazilian leave for Saudi Arabian club Al-Nasr the following summer. He became the ultimate journeyman after his Betis career, playing for 9 clubs in 5 year. These ranged from obviously obscure paydays in the form of FC Dallas and Xi Măng Hải Phòng (where he became the highest paid player in Vietnamese history, only to leave the club after one game), to homeland returns such as Itumbiara and Palmeiras.

Most recently, Denílson was seen plying his trade for Greek side Kavala, but was released in April having only been with the club for 3 months despite signing a 2 year contract. Probably the most unbelievable aspect of Denílson’s story is the fact that he is still only 32 years old – the same age as Thierry Henry and Raúl, and younger than the likes of Michael Ballack, Francesco Totti and Mark Van Bommel who are all still playing at the highest level.

Denílson’s story is one of caution, or rather a lack of caution, displayed by both Real Betis and the man himself. Betis bought into the hype of “the next big [Brazilian] thing”, which further allowed Denílson to do the exact same thing. He may have had the same technique, close control and dribbling skills as some of the all time greats, but Denílson lacked the mentality, determination and consistency to be truly ranked alongside his heroes. While stories of the fame and success of his compatriots Ronaldo and Romario will forever capture the imagination of young fanatics worldwide, Denílson will unfortunately remain a permanent fixture in “Where Are They Now?” sections across the internet.

Kevyn Doran

Good post from Rascal. The abuse and derision Balotelli gets is incredible and I am sure it impacts on his game. And those who lecture him about his behaviour, the pundits just set him up for it with their constant sniping.

But he has to take responsibility for his training - and that seems to have been lacking this year. He never seems to be there

From the minute he stepped off the plane he had no chance, the problem is it should have been heathrow and not manchester,you don't upset the media magnet.

mancunial said:
From the minute he stepped off the plane he had no chance, the problem is it should have been heathrow and not manchester,you don't upset the media magnet.
He could turn it around on the pitch - he had the opportunity after the European Championships to do that. He could do it now if he wanted it.

Rascal said:

impatient

I'm pissed off with Balo but recognise there is some truth in rascal's post. He's not had the easiest upbringing: black, orphan, etc. Then all of a sudden he's away from home with money and fanny thrown at him, under intense scrutiny and experiencing a mixture of adulation and criticism. He brings some of the crap on himself but we do all mature at different rates. He is just slower than some and he still has time.

While his attitude is shit he does have rare talent. Anyone who denies it is letting frustration cloud the issue imo.

The big question is how long do we wait and will it be worth the shite? On present showing he's wasting wages, becoming divisive and blocking a potential replacement. We will soon face the important issue of whether or not to extend his contract. How could we offer him the same or improved terms the way things stand? And yet... a run in the team, a change in attitude and a few key goals ....

Big dilemma. On balance I'd let him go but would not be at all surprised to see him come good in a few years time.

[Correction: I meant adopted, not orphaned.]

afhald said:
He reminds me Antonio Cassano when he went to Madrid and then he came back in Italy to play for Sampdoria, i see the same future for Mario aswell.

That's about the level he can expect in future... I think Cassano is very good example.

Playing there for good Italian clubs but never reaching levels expected cause head is in the offside.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.