Bandwagon jumpers

More the merrier I reckon. I'm normally a bit snobbish about stuff like that, but I remember the year after Wembley - my mate and me had done about 40 games home and away in the Div 2 season, including both semis and the final. Start of the next season, we turned up in our colours as per for a pint in the Parkside (which was also my local at the time, so we kind of had two justifications for being there), and because we both had long hair and probably looked a bit studenty, started getting loads of grief of a big group of your more 'typical' shaven-headed 'football fan' types "Where were you when we were shit?" ; "You're just a plastic" etc (cos I imagine the dizzying heights of Div 1 attracted a lot of glory hunters).

So for that reason alone i have always promised myself to try and put aside my natural tendency to jealously guard 'my' thing, like I do with music and film and literature and stuff, and welcome new city fans as a new potential drinking buddy with open arms.

I think our fanbase has always been there under the radar. Much bigger than many people appreciate. Not many people proudly wore the shirt when we were in the old third division a decade ago. More wore it when we got promoted to the old second division then the Prem then KK then the money came etc etc. Not so much 'bandwagon jumpers' as 'fair weather supporters' perhaps.

Better than seeing so many shitty rags all over the shop.

There's going to be plastics if we do become successful, comes with the territory.. But you can just be safe in the knowledge that your a die hard who's been there through the hard times and that you are a 'real fan'.. and like someone said, when we win our first trophy we will enjoy it a lot more then any plastic could dream of.. CTID

Balti said:
Better than seeing so many shitty rags all over the shop.

to become a top 4 club your bound to get more supporters.. if that then turns them lifelong from now on.. whats the problem?

bluevengence said:
The 60s and 70s drew a lot of new gloryhunting support to City who have followed them ever since....time to renew the pool

Spot on mate. I'm not from Manchester so I've been a gloryhunter AND a plastic for 40+ years!

When asked how much i love city i point to my bald head and pace maker and say "THAT is what happens when you follow the Blues through thin and thin. I think i am going to be very entitled to enjoy our new horizon now . Ive suffered enough FFS" !

ChippyPerthBlue said:
Bazzmand Show said:
At the end of the day if we want to fill our 80,000 seat stadium (planned one) we will need the glory hunters. It doesnt really bother me and I dont see it as a negative, new fans bring positivity rather than negativity. To me a City supporter is a City supporter and thats that.

Itll just feel sweeter for all those that have been their since the dark days when we win something. Fuck knows we need it.

Here,here.

We are CITY super CITY from Maine Road,

The ones who have been supporting for many years cannot ever forget what this club means to us, with success comes the increase in supporters from all corners of the globe. Lets embrace our future and the past will be with us to remember forever.

We are CITY from Maine Road,
like it :)

colinbellsboots said:
the way its going, were gonna need a 600,000 staduim, just imagine all that noise, ans you still wont hear the north stand sing......

If you have a 600,000 seater stadium, you'd need a telescope just to SEE the North Stand from across the ground...

what i do like what city have done,is if you want any of the new shirts,you need to go to the ground in person,yes you can get them by mail order,or city store arndale,unlike you usual rag shirts l,pool,and others you see just about in every sport shop nationwide,so point being here if you see city supporters wearing the lovely shirt,you know they are genuine fans....me and my daughter are season card holders bloke 221,we will collect our new shirts each new season at the first home game..true blues

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.