Banning smoking in beer gardens

Really_here

Team supported
City
I think this is taking things a step too far, I smoke (and have done for over 50 years and having paid all the ludicrous tax hikes and rather than being a bloody burden on the NHS I think I've contributed more than enough!) and am aware it's not healthy but where is the freedom of choice? I still maintain that pubs should be able to allow smoking inside the pub never mind the beer gardens. No-one is umaware of the health risks so if a pub chooses to allow smoking and people don't like it then go elsewhere to a pub that doesn't allow it?
Driving is dangerous (for innocent pedestrians as well as drivers), when are we going to ban cars and buses?
It infuriates me that one hand we have shop lifting being given the green light thanks to the police ignoring it and people convicted of knife crime etc getting an automatic 50% off etc etc etc plus billions of pounds to pay benefits to people who've never contributed taxes we have the time and money to try and stop people having a smoke in the open air!!

I think this is taking things a step too far, I smoke (and have done for over 50 years and having paid all the ludicrous tax hikes and rather than being a bloody burden on the NHS I think I've contributed more than enough!) and am aware it's not healthy but where is the freedom of choice? I still maintain that pubs should be able to allow smoking inside the pub never mind the beer gardens. No-one is umaware of the health risks so if a pub chooses to allow smoking and people don't like it then go elsewhere to a pub that doesn't allow it?
Driving is dangerous (for innocent pedestrians as well as drivers), when are we going to ban cars and buses?
It infuriates me that one hand we have shop lifting being given the green light thanks to the police ignoring it and people convicted of knife crime etc getting an automatic 50% off etc etc etc plus billions of pounds to pay benefits to people who've never contributed taxes we have the time and money to try and stop people having a smoke in the open air!!
Can’t agree on that. Smoking is an obnoxious habit, and a killer. Which I'm sure you are well aware of. Why should non smokers be subjected to the stink created by smokers? Going home with your hair (not so much in my case!) and clothes reeking of cigarette smoke? No, thanks. I was in Mary D's last weekend, and was with friends out in the smoking area. It was horrible. But, better outside than in the building.

As a lifelong non smoker, I despise cigarettes (they killed my mum at just 54). I welcomed the smoking ban in pubs and restaurants with open arms. No longer having to go home with clothes and hair reeking of the stuff. Plus the dangers of passive smoking. (I lost a mate from schooldays who also died of lung cancer, and had never had a cig in his life, but grew up above his parents pub in the 60's/70's ...)

However, I think banning it outside is wrong. At best possibly have smoke free zones. There is a pub near us, and one side of the beer garden is already smoke free, and it works well generally.

It will kill pubs.
I'm a non smoker but love the pub. I don't want to see them close because a stupid fool decides to save us all.

(a wider issue, if they ban smoking within the Etihad area, if will really hurt us normal.match going fans. From the tram to the main road, the temp club shop to Alan Turing Way will be no smoking.

Can’t agree on that. Smoking is an obnoxious habit, and a killer. Why should non smokers be subjected to the stink created by smokers? Going home with your hair (not so much in my case!) and clothes reeking of cigarette smoke? No, thanks. I was in Mary D's last weekend, and was with friends out in the smoking area. It was horrible. Now; if people want to slowly kill themselves, that's their choice. But, please, don't inflict it on me or other non smokers. Thanks.
Jim, you had a choice (I can't believe you chose Mary D's) you did not have to go into the smoking area, your friends didn't have to smoke.
Pubs, decent pubs not the new flavoured lager ones, will close.

It will kill pubs.
I'm a non smoker but love the pub. I don't want to see them close because a stupid fool decides to save us all.

(a wider issue, if they ban smoking within the Etihad area, if will really hurt us normal.match going fans. From the tram to the main road, the temp club shop to Alan Turing Way will be no smoking.
It already is banned on the whole Etihad Campus.

Jim, you had a choice (I can't believe you chose Mary D's) you did not have to go into the smoking area, your friends didn't have to smoke.
Pubs, decent pubs not the new flavoured lager ones, will close.
Nitpicking here, My friends were vaping, not smoking. Same difference, though. And yes, it was indeed my choice. I get over very rarely these days, and wanted to spend as much time as possible with them. As it was for smokers who decided to start the habit.

I still maintain that pubs should be able to allow smoking inside the pub never mind the beer gardens. No-one is umaware of the health risks so if a pub chooses to allow smoking and people don't like it then go elsewhere to a pub that doesn't allow it?
It was never really brought in to protect customers who have a choice though, it was brought in to protect staff who have no say in the matter. And that's absolutely the right approach in my opinion (even as a smoker).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.