Barry on ice

Gareth Barry truly is poor, you can keep saying "he's the first name on the team-sheet" and "he puts in a good shift". Trying hard and being a model professional doesn't make him a good player. The fact is he isn't good enough and I can't wait until we see the back of him.

The only reason he played against spurs was because of De Jongs injury, and the moment he is back Barry will be benched.

It really bemuses me why so many people on this forum love him so much.

PS I'm actually starting to think you are all winding me up!!

mirror image of the thread of after the liverpool home game last year - barry is belting 'Squad' player, imo to even suggest he start games ahead of de jong is wrong on so many levels, he isnt consistent enough to command that role and he certainly won't be as effective when we need to retain the ball in europe - i'm all for his performances of late, but don't get giddy.

Bellers_a_hero said:
Oh my days, why has it taken someone so long to realise the shift Barry puts in for City. Since about the last 5 games he played in last season and every game this season he has been amazing! Covers for players, wins tackles, creates chances and does all this so secretly.
Just because he doesn't score loads of goals, has the flair of Silva, crunching tackles of De Jong or steaming runs of Yaya. He fits into our team perfectly and on his recent form should be in the starting line up definitley - whether its De Jong that loses his place or Yaya Toure I don't know but one of them needs to!
They will all rotate, as they should. Toure, De Jong, Milner and Barry. In those four we have our base on which the platform of creativity that is SIlva, Nasri, Aguero, Balotelli and Aj will be built to support Dzeko and Tevez as the main striker.

Now that is a team. :)

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
mirror image of the thread of after the liverpool home game last year - barry is belting 'Squad' player, imo to even suggest he start games ahead of de jong is wrong on so many levels, he isnt consistent enough to command that role and he certainly won't be as effective when we need to retain the ball in europe - i'm all for his performances of late, but don't get giddy.

yet they play totally different positions when in the first 11 together and barry does not really take up the de jong role when he is out it is shared with yaya!

i thought we got passed this barry gets dropped when de jong comes in theory as proven for the past two seasons?

matt99is said:
Gareth Barry truly is poor, you can keep saying "he's the first name on the team-sheet" and "he puts in a good shift". Trying hard and being a model professional doesn't make him a good player. The fact is he isn't good enough and I can't wait until we see the back of him.

The only reason he played against spurs was because of De Jongs injury, and the moment he is back Barry will be benched.

It really bemuses me why so many people on this forum love him so much.

PS I'm actually starting to think you are all winding me up!!
I'm not saying Barry is necessarily better than De Jong or Yaya, those two are possibly the best 2 players in the world in their position (D-mid and box to box midfielder)

However, Barry gets dogs abuse from some City fans and he really doesn't deserve it. He's one of those players that you don't notice when he's there, but you miss him when he's not. Take the Charity Sheild for example when he didn't start, our retention of the ball in midfeild was appalling, and was the major reason we got outplayed and deserved to be beaten.

Milner is a far better athlete, much more strength, pace and energy. I would pick Barry over him every single time though because he uses the ball so much better, makes much better decisions and is a far more intelligent player.

couldn't agree more, gives us great balance in midfield, works hard all game and was up there to lay the ball off for dzeko's 4th, top player.

I think his improvement in form is quite obvious for all to see. He seems fitter, leaner, stronger and even a little bit faster, he even seems to be moving the ball quicker, this was my main issue with him previously. He has upped his game a lot so far this season, the role he is playing suits him more and the amount of possession we have in the final third leaves him with a bit less to do. I think this competition for places theory that all the top managers go on about may just have some merit to it.
Would anyone be surprised if Mancini gets the best years out of ol' Gaz Baz? I wouldn't.

matt99is said:
A few half decent performances in NO WAY make up for his general poorness. He makes more mistakes and gives the ball away more than any other regular starter, this could probably be the last season in which he plays a major role.

Against spurs he was under very little pressure, it wasn't a tough game for him so he wasn't found out.

Prove it.

I think you are completely wrong. He is a very tidy player in possession and makes a lot of crucial interceptions and tackles. The reason he keeps getting picked is that he plays to a consistently good level, plays with discipline and is tactically very aware. Managers love him, SOME fans constantly say he's crap. I think I'll trust Mancini on this one.

Berkovic_blue said:
matt99is said:
A few half decent performances in NO WAY make up for his general poorness. He makes more mistakes and gives the ball away more than any other regular starter, this could probably be the last season in which he plays a major role.

Against spurs he was under very little pressure, it wasn't a tough game for him so he wasn't found out.

Prove it.

I think you are completely wrong. He is a very tidy player in possession and makes a lot of crucial interceptions and tackles. The reason he keeps getting picked is that he plays to a consistently good level, plays with discipline and is tactically very aware. Managers love him, SOME fans constantly say he's crap. I think I'll trust Mancini on this one.

Discipline went out the window at Spurs he picked up a booking for a late tackle. He has a knack of giving away stupid frees and picking up bookings from them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.