Barry

I think gaz baz is really under rated by a lot of people because mostly he does the simple things really well. Always starts for England if available too. I think the whole team made mistakes on wed , but as many others have said we are on a steep learning curve in the CL and i believe we will learn fast. Am not surprised we committed so many forward since we have been getting results in the league . Just a question of how quickly can we learn? we will be ok i think.

The trouble is Barry has to play out of his skin just to be average in our team. As soon as he is less than 100% he makes mistakes which cost. Same for Lescott.
Neither are good enough, and will be found out by the better players they will be coming up against.

In fairness, Barry has looked better so far this Season, but he is still out of his depth when facing top teams.

AlexMac said:
I thought it was a very good opening game in the Champions League and a draw is not the end of the world. But, for me our weak link give away possession for the Napoli goal.

Watch it again! The pass from Nasri was shite.

Kompany's attempted back pass to Hart was a worse pass in a much worse position on the pitch, if that had led to a goal would the same thread be in place? No i doubt it. Barry is totally underated and players like him are needed in any side, lots of his work goes unnoticed and he wins most almost all his tackles, he manages to win the ball back is the most unlikely situations, just a knack he seems to have. I think its only when he doesn't play that you appreciate how much he does contribute.

He's only missed one game this season and that was down to an injury he picked up on International duty, where he played all bar 10 minutes.

If he is the weak-link as many say, why is he playing every game when available and why didn't we get a replacement in for him? Why does Mancini and Capello always pick him if he isn't that good?

For me, he's been one of our best players in every game whether I've watched him at the game and then re-watched it on TV so I'm not quite sure why all these threads keep poo-pping up?

Enjoyed the game and while disappointed at a draw it really was a fair result. Barry screwed up with the pass but did anyone notice that Nasri could have taken the guy out of the game, got a booking and we would have won the game.
There is no way that Napoli would have got over the half way line if Nige had been playing.
It was unfortunate but we will improve and learn from that game. Napoli impressed me a lot.

ANY1aBLUE said:
The trouble is Barry has to play out of his skin just to be average in our team. As soon as he is less than 100% he makes mistakes which cost. Same for Lescott.
Neither are good enough, and will be found out by the better players they will be coming up against.

In fairness, Barry has looked better so far this Season, but he is still out of his depth when facing top teams.

See I agree that Barry and Lescott are less talented and need to perform at a higher % of their talent, but thankfully they have made it to the top because they can do exactly that. Without meaning to be point out the obvious, it doesn't matter how talented they are but how they perform.

Not having the better teams argument either. Barry was our best player against Chelsea at home last season, was fantastic at Wembley forcing the error that led to our goal and was one of our best players against Napoli. Lescott was involved in many clean sheets against the top 4 (4 out of 7 games).

I mean really, if we're going to do this it's the attacking players who haven't performed against the better sides. We only scored 4 goals in 7 games against the top 4 last season and it was a defender who scored against Napoli last night.

Several weeks ago Barry was being hailed after some of his performances , and now he is suddenly our weak link ? Barry made a mistake , but it was sloppy play all round , he has just been assigned the blame. The midfield in general , when we play top sides will be a weak link , purely because during a game , the midfield two are either forward or they are at the back . When we go forward both Barry and Yaya go at the same time , there is then nobody holding if we lose possesion , like against Napoli . Then if both midfielders come deep , due to the fact that Aguero and Dzeko play more or less alongside each other , there is nobody in the hole . If there was somebody in that attacking midfield role pressure can then be applied to the centre halves more and the sooner they make a mistake and the sooner we get the ball back. Also both central midfield players don't have to go forward. Against teams like Wigan , it is ok to go all out attack , especially at home . But at home against strong teams aswell as away , we would have to put three in the middle , with two of them holding and one central attacking midfielder as opposed to 4-4-2. Currently the system is working well , we are scoring bucket loads and conceding very little , but the Napoli goal on Wednesday outlines the problem with the midfield , against teams with the quality to hurt us.

fact is Barry was doubtful for the game in the first place due to an ankle injury- he in no way had a poor game - yes, he made a mistake but, as said already, Nasri - who did not have a good game by his standards, made a poor pass and the back heel was unnecessary. Napoli have helped us realise it's not on a plate and we have all to step up to the mark if city are going to progress. Let's see what happens in Munich - I fancy City then - we should have enough to do them on their patch as there will be more space to work the magic- home games are going to be tricky 'cos they all 'park the bus' and try and get you on the break - which is what Napoli did - plus a lot of shitty fouls too which were not really handled well by the fat ref

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.