Basic manners, keyboard warriors etc

I don't see how its ridiculous? I mean, if I had a friend who was saying some of the stuff I see on here, I would call them a ****. You would too right? If society genuinely is being more and more islamophobic, I think society is wrong. Same as I think society is wrong to pillory bankers, or is wrong to want out of the EU. If it was the word "fucking" in there that made it seem aggressive, I can understand that though. But it was said with no attack on you intended.

Now whether your aggression was done deliberately or not, I think is neither here nor there. The outcome is the same, right? The action of being aggressive is always deliberate, no? A conscious effort to be aggressive.

So whether its done to highlight irony, or whether its done because one wants to be aggressive, the outcome is the same.

My point was that you cannot use an aggressive tone and language in your post and then claim to be perfectly calm and rational. Maybe you were, I don't know, but there's no possible way that a reader could have taken that from your post. That was what I was calling ridiculous, the expectation that somebody would read it and presume you were absolutely calm.

What I meant to say was that I am fairly sure I have read people questioning the freedom of speech on this board, and you have come back with the phrase "its not a democracy"

Questioning freedom of speech is vis a vis questioning the CoC.

For a moderator who has used the phrase "its not a democracy" to then publicly question conduct on the board is, in my mind, somewhat ironic.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to say here and do not see the irony. This is not a democracy, it's a monarchy. This doesn't mean that no discussion can take place or views are not able to be aired. It just means that acceptable bounds have already been laid down by the publisher/owner and our job as posters is to stay within those bounds or he/his representatives will deal with it. There is NO freedom of speech here, this is an important point. There are things you are not allowed to say, often things that are perfectly legal and said a million times a day. The Munichs/United thing pops into mind as specifically an instance where Ric has felt strongly about an issue and deemed it unacceptable under any circumstances which we adhere to as posters. Personally I lack his passion on the issue and have made my views clear but if I see somebody using the Munichs phrase to describe United then I'll deal with them just the same.

Well I must have missed that, then, you seemed and admit when read again it does seem patronising. What I meant it to read was that I always admired your posts and found them entertaining, however I see less of those and see a lot more of your aggression these days.

Nobody else really talks about science and/or technology and often when I attempt to explain things I get insulted, ironically by one of the participants in this thread, so have little desire to start them myself.

But again, its an approach to moderating that I don't understand. Are you suggesting you can be abusive, be malicious, patronising or anything you want, but because you know where that line is, its ok?

Because to me that doesn't seem correct.

This is the most interesting point anybody has made all day. Yes, I'm suggesting that the way the forum and the moderation of it is set up as long as you stay within the pre-defined bounds of the Code of Conduct as it is interpreted and applied by the Ric/the moderators then you have no case to answer.

Let's think about why that is for a second and why this MUST be the way to handle it for a second. Let's say that you find something abusive and I don't. Which one of us is correct? Neither. Abusive, patronising, maliciousness, these are all completely subjective terms whereby what consists them and doesn't will wildly vary in opinion. What you think is abusive is not absolutely definitely abusive.

So the alternative is to strictly define the Code of Conduct to define exactly what acceptability is. Anybody who knows me well enough would understand that this is something that I both have supported in practice and application. Anybody who knows anything about moderation understands that this document would be 50000 words long to cover all possible cases and would only ever be read by me, Google Search Robot and that lad who keeps starting threads at 3am because he's bored out of his tits. So we're essentially going to turn moderation into an exercise in legal application, memory and, well, being a sad bastard. The only effective mods will be "busy cunts" like me as @SWP's back would say.

50000 word Code of Conducts that come up with any and all possible use cases that you see on a forum is an unworkable solution. And in any document or process in the world when you begin abstracting you lose accuracy.

The current version gives enough scope for posters and mods to use their common sense. If you say that all Islamic people are sand niggers who should be hung then expect to be permanently banned. If you mildly imply that Islam is probably not the greatest thing in the world then you can expect to not be sanctioned at all. The issue isn't that there is a line, it's the location of it that the argument is about.

Whether you like it or not, people here will post and think irrationally.

And whether they like it or not there will always be people who don't and will pull them on their irrational points

Anytime a poster is banned/warned for abusing someone, they will point towards others who abuse people and don't get banned. This will be even more pronounced if it is a moderator, because like it or not, they will believe that you are flaunting the system. Perception is nine tenths, here.

Because it's abuse in THEIR OPINION. The moderators and Ric might find this opinion to be ludicrous. Alternatively, and this is much, much more common here, people are making crap comparisons between things that have little to no links once you stop taking them out of context.

I agree that people's perceptions dominate their opinion. I also think that people's perceptions are ultimately their problem and they aren't going to dominate mine. We do the right thing whether or not people see that. Nobody on the mod team is in the PR business and nor should we be. This is a forum for adults and written by adults, the idea that just because you don't understand why a decision was made meaning that it was made for no reason is something people should have forgotten in secondary school.

What it will appear to others is that you, as a moderator, are able to abuse people when you like, and that there will be no implications because you're a moderator. Would you receive a warning for calling another person a ****?

I've said this a few times and I'd like people to get this through. We don't moderate collections of letters, we moderate on context and application. If I angrily called somebody a **** outright and directly then I'd get a warning for it. Calling people a **** is often Bluemoon's way of saying hello and the vast, vast majority of the time is meant in jest. So no I wouldn't be banned just for using the word ****. On a similar and very important note, neither would anybody else.

This goes into a larger point but nobody on here is ever permabanned for something trivial like that. People are banned because they have built up a backlog of offences, have had discussions with moderators about it on numerous occasions and is a last resort. My experience on this forum also tells me that it is unbelievably the lies that people come up with for reasons that they were banned and how it is often a literal trail of bullshit. It's extremely difficult to be permanently banned from here, in fact looking over it the amount of people permanently banned who weren't new members on the WUM/people who requested to be permabanned/people who came back quite sharpish/previously banned users hiding under new accounts is about 0. Since June. Not permabanned by me, I mean people permabanned by anybody.

You'd imagine that would stop any accusations we have to put up with and spend time discussing but alas you don't have this information so weren't aware of that. Which is a fundamental flaw in the argument of every single poster on here when discussing this, you literally have no idea what the moderation is doing at any one time. There was a discussion about this and whether it should be changed and the general consensus was that it would make our lives unbearable because we'd have to spend hours upon hours in threads like these all the time justifying every possible decisions to people who aren't stakeholders in that decision, also rendering us not actually able to moderate the forum. Again, we aren't PR people and the expectation that we will break down every single decision made by every single mod and then discuss it, usually at length with people back and forth would paralyse us. Even now when we warn somebody we set it up to automatically start a PM conversation with users. Now 75% of moderation time is spent listen to users explain how despite breaking the rules quite clearly they didn't actually break the rules and you're just a **** with a vendetta against them or the mod team are all fascists. Adding that but with an outside spectacle to it would probably mean the resignation of every moderator here.

If the behaviour is going to be modified, it has to be levelled equally, and it has to be done with a cultural change at those who enforce behaviour. Its management science, really.

It already IS equal. You just cannot see that it's equal. Again we're not even arguing over reality here we're arguing over perception of reality

Both of these have no substance, you're erring away form the discussion. If everything is so logical to you, then you should easily be able to ignore what you believe are patronising comments and into the point.

"Ignore my insults Mr Science Man, you should just take it because you're into science and stuff"

Ok cheers.

You are discussing Bluemoon as a mouthpiece for society, I think there is a significant difference.

No I'm saying Bluemoon is part of British society and as part of it will automatically reflect the views of it in the main.

As this is what I'm discussing with you. There are plenty views of millions of people you don't want aired, so there is no societal mouthpiece issue ?

I reiterate, are we going to be perfectly representative of every social demographic in the UK?

No, we are going to be perfectly representative of the instructions of Ric. You seemingly do not get the point here - it's that as Bluemoon is part of our society and carries its attitudes/topics of the day, then a suppression of those topics constitutes political modding. Again, I was talking directly to the owner of the forum and referencing conversations that you were not a part of using the same phrases used then. This is another example of just because you do not understand the decision or the logic does not mean that none of it exists.

People demand consistency, because we are humans, we are driven by self-interest, you know that. Every single person demands equality in one way or another, and when they believe that this demand for equality isn't being met, then tempers fray.

I understand what you're saying, you're saying that the rules applied do not have to be consistent, and its at the moderating teams behest. Which, at a base level, is right.

But you're with your left hand saying "BM is a mouthpiece for all", and with the right saying "no actually it isn't", how do you expect people to react? People who perhaps don't think in strict black and white? They will get frustrated that laws are not applied fairly.

BM is a mouthpiece for anybody and everybody under the cavaet that you stick within the rules that you agreed upon as a member of this site. There is no inconsistency here, only people being frustrated that the rules they agreed upon are being enforced.

The point is that to many it feels like there is no consistency in the moderation of the board

My point is that there's about 9 people who possibly have anywhere near the information to make this sort of judgement and you are not one of those people and neither are the many others. I don't really care for example what you believe about the current state of my back garden and whereabouts the tulips should be planted. Because you lack all of the relevant information to make any sort of rational or informed judgement so therefore aren't worth listening to about it. Even if you really desperately believe they should go next to the gnome with the big red hat to tie it all together.

At a really simple level, you're just setting yourself up for a fall. You can't make a quote suggesting this board represents society, and not expect everyone to want their views aired with no fear of banning. It very least you'll be setting yourself up for many more people to complain about things, which I'm sure you don't want.

I didn't say that. You thought I've said that and spun this into a long conversation but nowhere did I say that BM should represent society. I said that it DOES represent society. That's an important difference that you've seemingly missed.

Again, the patronising. If you think you know what I mean, then counter what I mean. The one thing I've noticed in our dialogue is that you will consistently shift the topic of the discussion in order to avoid through arrogance. Discussing philosophical consistency, avoiding a topic because it doesn't make sense to you. Perhaps the issue is in your interpretation, rather than the method in which it is presented. Perhaps the issue, and where our discussion falls down, is not that the argument is presented in an ansine fashion, perhaps you have the inability to prioritise what is pertinent within the point that is being made.

My problem is that I lack the tact and grace to deal with stupid comments by people who cannot see that they've made a stupid comment and somehow attribute their stupidity to me after I point it out. The bit of the post you quoted was a stupid comment because you don't see the difference between philosophical consistency which no ruleset has and logical consistency which the CoC has in spades.

I can't even find where the code of conduct is, anymore, so I can't tell whether what you say is correct.

So you can't find the Code of Conduct, don't actually know what it says despite it being recently updated but have wasted all of my time talking about the moderation of this site? This actually sums up my issue with this almost perfectly.

But, there are most definitely posts on islam which are vile. If they don't break the code of conduct, they should. Islam as a relegion should be open to criticism, but I will never agree that comments wishing people dead, or comments that were about the three girls who left for syria shoudl be allowed to stay on the board. At least not without people having the opportunity to criticise, to me, the personal attack is the lesser of the two.

Now, I appreciate your response above, and I am certain you will come back to me with a response such as "thats your opinion, but we have our CoC and thats that"; and you'd be right.

But, to me, by allowing comments to sit on a board, I believe it creates a culture of comfort where people will feel fine repeatedly acting in xenophobic ways, because the personal attack received is deemed to be the more serious issue. They will feel safe making these comments, where they would feel ashamed to do so in public. And once more we are back to the representation argument

And you'd be right, it could just be my opinion, the impression I get is that it isn't, though.

I'm sure you feel your opinion is more important/has wider recognition than others but it isn't and doesn't. This is NOT a place where we say nobody will be offended. In fact we specifically state in the CoC that you WILL be offended by content on here and you read it at your own risk. Considering the membership of this site has consistently grown including the amount of posts in the Off Topic section then despite your objections we seem to be doing something right that the majority find acceptable.

Finally, you say you don't moderate politically, its not true. Its where your subjective distinction between what is political and what is not political lies. The "religion of peace" prose, it is political, by allowing it you're engaging in a political mindset, you're just drawing the line in a different place to where others believe it should be.

The politics will always be present, and your moderation will probably always be criticised, but if you can search through an ISIS/ISLAM thread and not see posts you don't think should remain on the server, I'd be very surprised.

My views are irrelevant because the Code of Conduct does not accurately reflect my views. It does however accurately reflect the views of the owner of the site and that's what we mod against.

Oh, and inaction is never ever ever ever action despite what you are trying to suggest through the political modding idea.

I've taken great interest in this thread, but I didn't read that last post, I'd rather get my kindle out and read a book

He's not far wrong though if you do read it.

It's fair enough the majority don't want any trouble and will say it's a thankless task and if you don't like it, leave etc but it needed saying.

It is a view shared by many even if they aren't all willing to say so. Much easier to stand by and live and let live.

Most people who've took criticism like Damocles has would Jack it in and just be a poster. The fact he hasn't only adds fuel to the belief held by some that it's all about power.

Yeah, mentioned it before, my post count doesn't indicate how much time I do spend on here, I enjoy "hearing" opinions / gossip about my team, quite like off topic too. When I've got something to say, I say it. I'm a quiet person, good listener I've been told, but I believe if it isn't worth saying, don't say it. Also treat others as you'd like to be treated

All I was suggesting was; there are over 50,000 registered users on this forum. How many can you name 20?, 50?, 100 at a push? Those prevelant posters you can name are the hardcore nucleus who have huge post counts, I'd agree they would make terrible moderators, I said as much in the post you quoted, perhaps not clear enough. ;-)
There must be loads of people who register/visit just to read the threads on here (long time lurkers), they would make better mods than those who have a lot to say IMO.

Exactly. How can a moderator be involved in debate all the time. It's not workable as squirty said but you can't be both effectively

Last edited:
Yeah, mentioned it before, my post count doesn't indicate how much time I do spend on here, I enjoy "hearing" opinions / gossip about my team, quite like off topic too. When I've got something to say, I say it. I'm a quiet person, good listener I've been told, but I believe if it isn't worth saying, don't say it. Also treat others as you'd like to be treated

Same here. I've read old threads and gone over suff many times to see if it explains people's viewpoints better. Some are too involved or involve themselves to much to mod what many world perceive "fairly"

He's not far wrong though if you do read it.

It's fair enough the majority don't want any trouble and will say it's a thankless task and if you don't like it, leave etc but it needed saying.

It is a view shared by many even if they aren't all willing to say so. Much easier to stand by and live and let live.

Most people who've took criticism like Damocles has would Jack it in and just be a poster. The fact he hasn't only adds fuel to the belief held by some that it's all about power.

Trying to argue the toss with Damocles is probably the most pointless task known to man, you just have to accept it fella, you just never get anywhere with some people

There's more chance getting Mr Spock to wear a bow tie just for the sheer fun of it, it doesn't compute

Having spent time as a mod and been privy to and been involved in many a discussion within the mod room about how this place is moderated. I can say in all honesty that Damo is the last moderator you could accuse of being on a power trip.

Having spent time as a mod and been privy to and been involved in many a discussion within the mod room about how this place is moderated. I can say in all honesty that Damo is the last moderator you could accuse of being on a power trip.
Unlike that fucking Ducado you forgot to add ;-)

Saying things like "you are not a moderator of this site" to a new user who quite politely asked for a thread to get back on topic is a bit of a power trip move.

Especially so when another Mod asked the same a few posts down so the thread clearly was steering off topic.

Just an example that sticks in my mind but I respect your opinion from experience. Maybe it's a recent thing

Unlike that fucking Ducado you forgot to add ;-)

Haha, I thought it went without saying.

This thread has been terminated!

jewish-terminator.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.