Basque and Catalan groups protest ''Tourists Go Home''

When i first read on this a few months back, the issue was with leviathan cruise liners depositing two or three thousand tourists at a time, and with 5 cruise liners at once pulling in, it's a tidal wave of tourists all in one go. Similar to the Venice problem that's been in the news recently. I was in Rhodes town a few years ago, and three cruise liners had pulled in, and you could hardly move in the town, the streets were rammed.

The property prices going beyond the pocket of locals is a problem which goes way beyond Spain. This is an issue related to wealth and being able to afford second holiday homes. Certain wonderful tourist locations in Devon and Cornwall have prohibited anyone but locals from buying houses in the area. Similar with the Lake District. This to allow local people to be able to afford to live where they were born, without any local house coming on the market being hoovered up by "out of town" money looking for holiday homes and holiday rental investments.

I've stayed in some lovely places in the UK, and if you talk to locals at any length, they nearly all complain that house prices are rising way beyond local people being able to afford due to demand for second holiday homes, and that in the winter months, the place is question is nigh on dead, with all the holiday properties lying empty.
And where do you think all these marvellous wonderful places will be without the tourist Euro, Dollars or Pounds?

Just back from a week in Mallorca and was in Palma the night the restaraunt got stormed. Saw a few protestors around the harbour earlier on and wondered what it was all about.
As soon as i seen something like that i would have gone back to my hotel packed my family up gone to the airport and flew out on the first flight back to Blighty, fuck em

So all this noise about Spain. It has been going on over here for years. Lake District, North Yorkshire Moors you name it. You can pick up holiday brochures and look on line at thousands of houses, cottages, flats you name it that have been taken out of the housing market for holiday makers.

When i first read on this a few months back, the issue was with leviathan cruise liners depositing two or three thousand tourists at a time, and with 5 cruise liners at once pulling in, it's a tidal wave of tourists all in one go. Similar to the Venice problem that's been in the news recently. I was in Rhodes town a few years ago, and three cruise liners had pulled in, and you could hardly move in the town, the streets were rammed.

The property prices going beyond the pocket of locals is a problem which goes way beyond Spain. This is an issue related to wealth and being able to afford second holiday homes. Certain wonderful tourist locations in Devon and Cornwall have prohibited anyone but locals from buying houses in the area. Similar with the Lake District. This to allow local people to be able to afford to live where they were born, without any local house coming on the market being hoovered up by "out of town" money looking for holiday homes and holiday rental investments.

I've stayed in some lovely places in the UK, and if you talk to locals at any length, they nearly all complain that house prices are rising way beyond local people being able to afford due to demand for second holiday homes, and that in the winter months, the place is question is nigh on dead, with all the holiday properties lying empty.
I think holiday homes are an issue in small villages with a limited housing stock, but I think simply buying for speculation is the far bigger problem in the cities. I went to visit a friend in Budapest and both her and her sister are living in flats that are basically half the size that they used to be. Lot's of the old buildings are being bought by investors and converted into much smaller flats, but the rents are actually increasing. AirBNB has become a thing because of the huge prices that hotels charge nowadays, which is a symptom of the same thing. It's hard to get a hotel room in a big city nowadays for less than £50 a night, so unless you want to sleep in a hostel, you go to AirBNB. In Italy, we stayed in AirBNB almost the whole time and the one time we stayed in a hostel, it was actually more expensive. But like immigrants, tourists are just another diversion from the real problem, which is investors, often not from the area, buying up property, causing rocketing house prices and in many cases, leaving them empty.

So all this noise about Spain. It has been going on over here for years. Lake District, North Yorkshire Moors you name it. You can pick up holiday brochures and look on line at thousands of houses, cottages, flats you name it that have been taken out of the housing market for holiday makers.
I think the majority of locals in the Lake Distict would sooner make money out of renting houses out than getting up at 4 in the morning and doing a shift in a slate quarry, same with the North Yorkies, rent a few flats out or watch over a flock of smelly sheep on Ilkley Moor, bar tat or not, then they'v got to shear them and make wooly jumpers, not rocket science is it

I think the majority of locals in the Lake Distict would sooner make money out of renting houses out than getting up at 4 in the morning and doing a shift in a slate quarry, same with the North Yorkies, rent a few flats out or watch over a flock of smelly sheep on Ilkley Moor, bar tat or not, then they'v got to shear them and make wooly jumpers, not rocket science is it

Perhaps if they were rocket scientists, and not shepherds, they could afford to buy a gaff in their own town....

Oh, and its "Ilkley Moor 'baht hat"....

;-)

I don't like the way a lot of us treat Spain - like a warm pub. This issue should've been raised a looong time ago. Bit late now. There are ghost towns ruining the landscape already through failed tourism ventures. But don't worry, we'll be off soon. If you need a wage, come to England and be a geriatric nurse please. Please.

As much as you think this is an issue they let it happen. If you are going to allow cheap hotels, even cheaper bars and cheap flights to come into your country then you will have to put up with the baggage that comes with it. Unfortunately Spain got greedy. Now a few people are complaining mainly due to youth unemployment/ lack of cheap housing stock but without the tourists how do they think they will pay for it all?

They should be having a go at the government and not the hand that feeds them.

Look what happened to Greece. An economy based on tourism is very fickle.

Spain? It does what it says on the tin but I will say this...if you go away from the Blackpool by the sea areas and explore a bit you will find a wonderful country full of history, good food and drink and lovely people. I despair sometimes at people who go to Spain for 10 days expecting to find English style pubs and food. Why not just stay at home?

I think holiday homes are an issue in small villages with a limited housing stock, but I think simply buying for speculation is the far bigger problem in the cities. I went to visit a friend in Budapest and both her and her sister are living in flats that are basically half the size that they used to be. Lot's of the old buildings are being bought by investors and converted into much smaller flats, but the rents are actually increasing. AirBNB has become a thing because of the huge prices that hotels charge nowadays, which is a symptom of the same thing. It's hard to get a hotel room in a big city nowadays for less than £50 a night, so unless you want to sleep in a hostel, you go to AirBNB. In Italy, we stayed in AirBNB almost the whole time and the one time we stayed in a hostel, it was actually more expensive. But like immigrants, tourists are just another diversion from the real problem, which is investors, often not from the area, buying up property, causing rocketing house prices and in many cases, leaving them empty.
Tell you what let's all build 50ft high 4ft thick inpregnable towers with gun slits like they did in Central Europe and Macedonia 200 years ago and blast away at any strangers or other families you are having a local feud with come along while shouting "get orf my land, and leave my daughter alone"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.