Battle of the Bands Final - Beatles v Rolling Stones 217

Re: Battle of the Bands - Pink Floyd v The Smiths page 118

Very tough. I'll go with The Smiths though.

Chungo said:

Interested that u say "very tough" pal: I would've thought cos these 2 bands are so different in so many different ways that whatever side you fall on it would be a pretty clear & easy decision ?

Blue2112 said:
Saw The Smiths at the Free Trade Hall, seen Floyd at Wembley, Earls Court and Maine Road. Seen Roger Waters with Clapton in Birmingham and seen him on a number of occasions since but last year's 'The Wall' at the M.E.N. was quite simply the single most stunning thing I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Words cannot do it justice.

Morrisey maybe a god to some people but Roger Wayers and Pink Floyd are in a different league entirely so it's Pink Floyd every time.

this ^

I was at the NEC gig with Clapton as well mate, Pro's & Cons tour

Floyd for me

chesterbells said:
Chungo said:

Interested that u say "very tough" pal: I would've thought cos these 2 bands are so different in so many different ways that whatever side you fall on it would be a pretty clear & easy decision ?

Exactly. Pink floyd are a heavily influential stoner rock kind of genre for me, where the smiths are part of local pride being from Manchester aswell as creating some great songs. I know they are clearly different kinds of bands but I am a big fan of both which makes it a tough decision for me. Just because they are different doesn't mean that one has to be good and one has to be bad.

To pick one of these two would be like choosing between my children.

Listened to Any Colour You Like in the car today and was singing Reel Around The Fountain in the bath yesterday. I never saw either of these bands live but grew up listening to both and still enjoy them too.

nimrod said:
Blue2112 said:
Saw The Smiths at the Free Trade Hall, seen Floyd at Wembley, Earls Court and Maine Road. Seen Roger Waters with Clapton in Birmingham and seen him on a number of occasions since but last year's 'The Wall' at the M.E.N. was quite simply the single most stunning thing I have ever had the pleasure to witness. Words cannot do it justice.

Morrisey maybe a god to some people but Roger Wayers and Pink Floyd are in a different league entirely so it's Pink Floyd every time.

this ^

I was at the NEC gig with Clapton as well mate, Pro's & Cons tour

Floyd for me

What was that P&C gig like pal? I've read mixed reviews on it, certainly I don't play that album v much at all. Would've been good to hear some Final Cut tracks though if he included any. Clapton vs Gilmour, interesting also

Chungo said:
chesterbells said:
Chungo said:

Exactly. Pink floyd are a heavily influential stoner rock kind of genre for me, where the smiths are part of local pride being from Manchester aswell as creating some great songs. I know they are clearly different kinds of bands but I am a big fan of both which makes it a tough decision for me. Just because they are different doesn't mean that one has to be good and one has to be bad.

Fair enough -
It's just in my experience I've never met anyone who liked these 2 bands as near equally as you do! When I was a young un you'd deffo either be one or the other with bands like these two (or like me, much favouring one with maybe a sneaking degree of admiration of the other)

Cheers for the response anyway

Love both bands but I would say The Smiths purely cos they're Mancunian and I can listen to them whatever mood I may be in.

The smiths

There are a few other very good bands who are quite like pink floyd - early genesis, yes, early rush, some zep - but nobody is really like the smiths

Still, love them both

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.