Battle of the Bands Final - Beatles v Rolling Stones 217

Re: Battle of the Bands - New Order v Rolling Stones page 127

New Order all day long absolute no contest...the best band to come out of Manchester.../Macclesfield

Re: Battle of the Bands - Pink Floyd v The Smiths page 118

nevilletogoater-in said:
Stuuuuuu said:
MCFC BOB said:
I like The Smiths - I think 'This Charming Man' is one of the greatest songs written on British soil - but I hope you are joking.

Looks like someone needs to brush up on his music history. Yes, Floyd were a fantastic and hugely popular band but they're not actually very influencial. After their demise, music changed dramatically and their sound will always be very much associated with the 70s. The Smiths are arguably the single most influencial band that there has ever been (yes, including The Beatles). Pretty much every alternative guitar band holds The Smiths as a major influence. Hell, even the NME found them to be "the most influencial band of all time" in a poll a couple of years ago.

So you're using the NME to back up your point?

To say that Pink Floyd weren't influencial is absolutely criminal. I like the smiths but they're not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Pink Floyd.

After City, Pink Floyd are the greatest ever export to come out of England.

Pink Floyd for me. All day everyday

If your parents had ever taught you the basics of reading, you'd have seen that I actually said, "even the NME".

You might have also learned to understand the difference between 'great' and 'influencial.' Pink Floyd were a truly great band, but they were not particularly influencial. Music changed dramatically in their aftermath. Immediately after Floyd we had punk. After that things went electronic in the 80s. Pink Floyd's brand of prog rock was unique. You claim that Pink Floyd were influencial. OK, let's hear some significant artists who were influenced by Pink Floyd. Can you name five? Hell, can you name one? There's maybe a little bit of Floyd in Radiohead, I'll give you that.

The Smiths are arguably the single most influencial band that there has ever been. There's a possible argument that The Beatles was equally or more influencial. You could maybe argue the case for Led Zep or Hendrix. But The Smiths are unquestionably in the top handful. Turn on 6music right now and you'll hear band after band trying (albeit invariably failing) to sound like them.

Re: Battle of the Bands - Pink Floyd v The Smiths page 118

Stuuuuuu said:
nevilletogoater-in said:
Stuuuuuu said:
Looks like someone needs to brush up on his music history. Yes, Floyd were a fantastic and hugely popular band but they're not actually very influencial. After their demise, music changed dramatically and their sound will always be very much associated with the 70s. The Smiths are arguably the single most influencial band that there has ever been (yes, including The Beatles). Pretty much every alternative guitar band holds The Smiths as a major influence. Hell, even the NME found them to be "the most influencial band of all time" in a poll a couple of years ago.

So you're using the NME to back up your point?

To say that Pink Floyd weren't influencial is absolutely criminal. I like the smiths but they're not fit to be mentioned in the same breath as Pink Floyd.

After City, Pink Floyd are the greatest ever export to come out of England.

Pink Floyd for me. All day everyday

If your parents had ever taught you the basics of reading, you'd have seen that I actually said, "even the NME".

You might have also learned to understand the difference between 'great' and 'influencial.' Pink Floyd were a truly great band, but they were not particularly influencial. Music changed dramatically in their aftermath. Immediately after Floyd we had punk. After that things went electronic in the 80s. Pink Floyd's brand of prog rock was unique. You claim that Pink Floyd were influencial. OK, let's hear some significant artists who were influenced by Pink Floyd. Can you name five? Hell, can you name one? There's maybe a little bit of Floyd in Radiohead, I'll give you that.

Sit back and listen to this song, look at the images portrayed in the video, then think about the lyrics and ideas behind the song. If you do that and you're not inspired/influenced as a human being you're a lost cause.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U&feature=related[/youtube]

I just re-read my last post and I realise that I came across rather aggressively, for which I apologise.

Challenger1978, people are very obviously talking about influence in the musical sense. And in any case, The Smiths' lyrics certainly inspired people 'as human beings' way way way more than Roger Waters' lyrics (however good they may be) did. I'm sure you'll agree with me on that, regardless of what your opinion of Morrissey might be.

Stuuuuuu said:
I just re-read my last post and I realise that I came across rather aggressively, for which I apologise.

Challenger1978, people are very obviously talking about influence in the musical sense. And in any case, The Smiths' lyrics certainly inspired people 'as human beings' way way way more than Roger Waters' lyrics (however good they may be) did. I'm sure you'll agree with me on that, regardless of what your opinion of Morrissey might be.

Honestly no

To be honest with you its the whole sound of the Smiths I don't like. Morrisey voice goes right through me, its a weird nassal southern whale and the actual music is a bit shit as well. Half the time the guitars sound out of tune the other half the time they're to tinny. Maybe its deliberate I don't know but it sounds shite to me.

No offence

The Stones- fine rythmn and blues, fantastic back catalogue and almost living legends.
New Order- Stunningly original and hugely influential.

New Order.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.